Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Server Chat

Old 06-13-2018, 12:10 AM
Sarnak

I was in my early teens, older bother still lived at home. I was watching him play his cleric one day and he needed to take a short break for something but didn't want to leave his group. So, having never touched the game before, I got the 60 second cleric tutorial before he ran off: "See the green bars here? If they get a little low, press 2. If they start getting *really* low, press 1. Okay gluck!." No one died, so I think it was a success.
Grundolita Sharpei - 31 Dark Elf Enchanter.

<Paradox> RIP
Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Fall of 8th grade...1999. Connecting on dial up... competing with my parent's landline.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:18 AM
Sarnak

Let's just say my first time with eq was better than my First time with a. Woman(came inside her instantly, we. Got kicked out of the room, I slept rest of night on the couch in a living room where dogs were shitting)
Old 06-13-2018, 08:34 AM
Aviak

I moved from NJ to Ohio for graduate school and was playing UO and trying to keep a D and D campaign going via e-mails. One of the players in our campaign was in Beta and told us all about the game so we all waited for launch day and bought the game.

I rolled a wood elf ranger as my first toon on Povar. Couldn't see well in the dark fell off of Kelethin and died, asked someone to help me find my corpse and someone running by just dragged it off somewhere, I never found it and died a few more times in the dark.

Decided to read the game manual and read that dark elves could see in the dark! Made a necromancer, began realizing the sheer power of the class and played every spare minute I could from then on. Stayed on Povar through all the splits up to PoP when many guildmates began to leave for wow after we cleared all the content. tried many other games but nothing came close to classic so here I am back again !
Old 06-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Kobold

Somehow, without really knowing, I got EQ and loaded it up on the very first day the servers were up, think it was March 17th 1999. Made a human paladin in Freeport. Leveled very slowly, got murdered by Griffons over and over etc. my first real adventure was some people I met at the undead ruins behind the inn in EC we decided to form a group and head to north Ro. We got assaulted and wiped out by a madman so swiftly I was convinced the madman was north Ro version of the griffin.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:25 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
We got assaulted and wiped out by a madman so swiftly I was convinced the madman was north Ro version of the griffin.
I felt the same exact way.

I absolutely refused to run through "the desert" because of mad men. I somehow managed to make it to Oasis anyway where I saw halfling druids kiting sand giants.

I was amazed, but also angry because I saw the druids as too powerful and cheating because the giant couldn't hit them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreenk317 View Post
Don't quote me though.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:17 AM
Sarnak

My first experience was in 8th grade. After hearing a couple friends never shut the hell up about this game I decided I wanted to check it out. I think my first time logging in was a little before Kunark release (or maybe right after, I don't remember). A friend of mine came over to my house the day I installed it and we stared at the patch screen for what seemed like ages. We tried to do some other crap outside in my yard but we ended up running back in every few minutes to check the download progress. I made a wood elf warrior in Kelethin and promptly had the computer stolen by my friend who decided he needed to "show me how to play". That bastard. He had two older brothers so I imagine that was par for the course to him.

I never got very far as a kiddo, definitely never to the raiding scene, so a lot of the 50+ content is very new to me these days. Being an alt-aholic and unfocused led to a lot of different level 20 characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoTriz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I saw the druids as too powerful and cheating because the giant couldn't hit them.
I think a lot of people felt this way about kiting when they first found out. There are a ton of things I missed the first time around also. For example, I never realized the power of animal charming until playing P99.
Last edited by d3r14k; 06-13-2018 at 10:19 AM..
Old 06-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Sarnak

aaaand this thread speaks volumes about the people that play here

It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 AM
Fire Giant

I was like 12. I made a char and couldnt see shit everything was dark I could only travel during the day my most desired item was a greater lightstone but I could only use lanterns because will o wisps kicked my ass. I would stick to the edges of zones to move around at night and draw maps to the best of my ability from memory and moving around kind of like a land surveyor. The only zone I couldnt do that in was everfrost so I paid someone 5 plat to take me from blackburrow to halas. He deserted me in the middle of everfrost at the middle of the night. Ended up somehow right by perma entrance thinking it was halas i ran inside the gate and died to ice giants. I quit that char because i couldnt find my corpse. About 2 months later i learned how to change my gamma.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:38 PM
Aviak

It was fall of 2000 and I was at work when a co-worker talked me into playing EQ with him. Once I got the CD's I read the booklet and decided I wanted to play a Paladin. I liked the idea of playing a character that can fight with a sword and heal himself between battles. Then my friend from work said "you should really consider playing a Druid instead". He showed me the port spells that I would get as a druid and told me about how much PP I could make, how easy soloing would be and how easy traveling would be.

He sale pitched me on choosing a Druid over a Paladin. The reality was he had already created an SK and knew a SK/Pally combo would suck as a duo where a SK/Druid combo would be awesome .......................for him! Free ports, free sows, heals, DS, ect.

That BASTARD! J/K. I made the druid and then later I made a cleric and leveled them both to 75 (which was highest level when I quit EQ). Now I have a druid and cleric again cause it's what I know and what I liked. But I still intend to do a Paladin and at least one DPS character before I am done. Maybe a rogue or monk or ranger.