Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 02-26-2022, 10:47 PM
Planar Protector

Poland didn’t let an empire take Vienna back in the day. Maybe they’ll stop another would-be empire this time around. They have a modern military with combat experience….
Old 02-26-2022, 10:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes and no. Tactical victory unlikely, strategic victory less unlikely. Ukraine doesn't need to "beat back" the Russians in order to "win", they only need to destroy enough equipment and personnel to make the war too costly for Russia's meager, fraction-of-California, GDP. In essence, a defeat so embarrassing that viral imagery of destroyed Russian tanks, crashed helicopters, and frozen corpses plastered all over the internet so thoroughly traumatizes the Russian national psyche that they don't fuck with another one of their neighbors for 100 years. Look what Vietnam did to America's will-to-war. We're still fucking getting over it.

It's not like an unhappy Russian populace can "vote out" Putin for his failures, as could happen in real democracies (not the US), but Russian public discontent manifests in other meaningful ways.
That’s exactly why he might level kiev or other parts of Ukraine, or impose martial law

But I have no idea how the inner dynamics of Russia work. I know that in Iran there are enough religious zealots that the rest of the population who hates the government (majority) could be crushed into submission. But what about in Russia?

Either way, it seems like Putin miscalculated or is deranged or both
Old 02-26-2022, 10:50 PM
Fire Giant

Lol here we go with the Trump bs. You dumb libs are going to be in an old folks home crying about trump because you can't get over him.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, unless you've written an academic peer reviewed paper about the relationship between Smolensk and Ruthenia
I am a direct male descendant of Temüjin, known to you as Genghis Khan. My ancestors ravaged both, surely burning down every parchment, sacred text, scholarly work and every piece of art right down to the ground.

As you can see my academic credentials are immaculate.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:52 PM
Planar Protector

To add further

Our misadventures in the ME have allowed Russia and China to study and learn how we wage war. They've had 20 years to dissect our tactics and find vulnerabilities to exploit

They've also designed new ways to wage warfare

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Jour...eneration-War/

Quote:
In the twenty-first century we have seen a tendency toward blurring the lines between the states of war and peace. …

… The very “rules of war” have changed. The role of nonmilitary means of achieving political strategic goals has grown, and, in many cases, they have exceeded the power of force of weapons in their effectiveness. …

… Frontal engagements of large formations of forces at the strategic and operational levels are gradually becoming a thing of the past. …

… Asymmetrical actions have come into widespread use, enabling the nullification of an enemy´s advantages in armed conflict. Among such actions are the use of special operations forces and internal opposition to create a permanently operating front through the entire territory of the enemy state, as well as informational actions, devices, and means that are constantly being perfected. …

… The differences between strategic, operational, and tactical levels, as well as between offensive and defensive operations, are being erased.

—Gen. Valery Gerasimov, Chief of the Russian General Staff
This is why our humiliation in Afghanistan was such a huge deal. It convinced our enemies now was the time to act. We're seeing that now.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol here we go with the Trump bs. You dumb libs are going to be in an old folks home crying about trump because you can't get over him.
It's almost like when an entire political movement throws all their eggs into one retarded basket-cult of personality who, even following his presidency, has a chokehold on the Republican party because of the influence you and people like you give him, we have to remind you how much you have--and continue to- fuck up our country.

Who is really the one that can't get over Trump? I knew he was traitor almost immediately. You seemingly still haven't realized it.
Last edited by Lune; 02-26-2022 at 10:57 PM..
Old 02-26-2022, 10:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's almost like when an entire political movement throws all their eggs into one retarded basket-cult of personality who, even following his presidency, has a chokehold on the Republican party because of the influence you and people like you give him, we have to remind you how much you have and continue to fuck up our country.
Nah man

Orange Super Prez was the best ever

Cheap Gas, Great Economy and No New Wars

You just want to fit in with the perceived cool crowd
Old 02-26-2022, 11:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizondo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To add further

Our misadventures in the ME have allowed Russia and China to study and learn how we wage war. They've had 20 years to dissect our tactics and find vulnerabilities to exploit

They've also designed new ways to wage warfare

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Jour...eneration-War/

This is why our humiliation in Afghanistan was such a huge deal. It convinced our enemies now was the time to act. We're seeing that now.
I mostly agree, but what I think you're missing here is that they've studied how we've mastered last century's warfare, but they far surpass us in the conduct of this century's warfare. The US needs a come-to-Jesus moment with how to wage conflict in the modern era. Why Putin would abandon the tremendous advantage he was enjoying in the information war for this misadventure continues to perplex me.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:09 PM
Banned

Hey Ooloo are you gonna call out the Monday Morning Quarterbacks in this situation or not
Old 02-26-2022, 11:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Poland didn’t let an empire take Vienna back in the day. Maybe they’ll stop another would-be empire this time around. They have a modern military with combat experience….
My dream is that the Western world floods Ukraine with "vacationers" a la Russia in Crimea 2014.

We should be using our petrodollar money to issue letters of marque on Russian soldiers, equipment, and oligarch overseas assets. Futuristic modern privateers. Ultimate justice.