Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 02-18-2023, 11:42 PM
Banned

Thumbs up History of Bullying

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
1975 — Upset over two turnovers in a Big Ten game, Knight grabs sophomore Jim Wisman by the jersey and jerks him into his seat.

1979 — Knight is charged and later tried and convicted in absentia for hitting a policeman before practice at the Pan American Games in Puerto Rico, although extradition efforts are later dropped.

1981 — Knight gets involved during Final Four in a shoving match with an LSU fan who said Knight stuffed him in a garbage can at a hotel.

1983 — Knight criticizes Big Ten officiating by standing at midcourt and cursing at Big Ten Commissioner Wayne Duke, who is in the press box. Two days later, Knight assails the referees for the "worst officiating I have seen in 12 years."

1985 — Tosses a chair across the court during a game against Purdue, prompting his ejection and one-game suspension by the Big Ten.

1986 — Receives technical foul for shouting at the officials during a game against Illinois, then kicks a megaphone and admonishes Indiana cheerleaders for disrupting a free-throw attempt by Steve Alford.

1987 — Bangs fist on the scorer's table after being assessed a technical foul during a game against LSU. The university is fined $10,000 by the NCAA and Knight receives a reprimand. Refuses to let his team finish an exhibition game against the Soviet Union after he was ejected for arguing with a referee and is later reprimanded by the university.

1991 — Publicly feuds with Illinois coach Lou Henson, who calls him a "classic bully."

1993 — Is suspended for one game after a sideline tirade in a 101-82 victory over Notre Dame in which he screams at his player son, Pat, and kicks at him. When fans behind the Indiana bench boo, Knight turns and responds with an obscenity.

1994 — Head-butts Sherron Wilkerson while screaming at him on the bench but says it was unintentional.

1995 — Is reprimanded and fined $30,000 by the NCAA for an outburst at a news conference at NCAA tournament. Upset that an NCAA media liaison erroneously says he would not attend the news conference, Knight lashes out at him.

1998 — Is fined $10,000 by the Big Ten for berating referee Ted Valentine, whose officiating Knight calls "the greatest travesty" he had seen in his coaching career. Knight receives three technical fouls and is ejected by Valentine during the second half of a loss to Illinois. Advances to second round of NCAA tournament before loss to Connecticut.

1999 — Is investigated for possible battery after allegedly choking a man at a restaurant. The man reportedly confronted Knight as he was leaving, contending he heard Knight make a racist remark. Prosecutor refuses to file charges. Assistant Ron Felling is fired after Knight allegedly throws him out of a chair after hearing him criticize the program.

March 2000 — Is investigated by university after former player Neil Reed says Knight choked him at a practice in 1997. A videotape of the practice appears to support Reed. Reports surface of other confrontations. In one, Knight throws a vase at a university secretary. In another, Knight's son Tim suffered a dislocated shoulder and a broken nose during a scuffle with his father during a hunting trip. In another, Knight attacked and knocked out an Indiana sports information director in the '70s.

May 2000 — As result of the investigation, Knight is fined $30,000, suspended for three games and placed under a "zero-tolerance" behavior policy.

Sept. 7, 2000 — Is accused of grabbing a student by the arm, cursing and lecturing him about manners after the coach was addressed "Hey, Knight, what's up?"

Sept. 10, 2000 — Is fired for violating "zero-tolerance" policy and for what university President Myles Brand calls a "pattern of unacceptable behavior."

Dec. 14, 2001 — The general manager at the Compaq Center in Houston says Knight, now coach at Texas Tech, offered to fight him over remarks the coach made about the arena's locker room. Knight commented that it "would have been very, very cramped with four midgets." The GM apologized but did not back down from his claims.

Dec. 22, 2003 — Launched into a profanity-filled tirade after an ESPN reporter asked about his relationship with former player Steve Alford, who was also participating in the interview. Alford's Iowa team was playing Texas Tech in Dallas. Knight later apologized.

Feb. 2, 2004 — Gets into a verbal spat with Texas Tech's chancellor at a Lubbock grocery. Is reprimanded — but not suspended — by the university.

Nov. 13, 2006 — Knight approaches player Michael Prince, who was looking toward the floor, and sharply pushes his chin with an open hand, apparently in an effort to get him to look up while talking to him.
Old 02-18-2023, 11:51 PM
Planar Protector

Old 02-18-2023, 11:59 PM
Banned

Coach Bob Knight Is Going to Heaven!

Quote:
Well, according to local "clergy" and the coach himself. A recent article in the Indianapolis News said, "Coach Knight is going to heaven and there's nothing we can do about it. Despite his sins  the so called head butting, cussing, chair throwing and alleged kick to his son's leg  the hot tempered Indiana University basketball coach will likely be allowed to pass through the Pearly Gates, local clergy and theologians say." One local minister was quoted as saying, "If that's the worst he does, that's not that bad." Knight said of himself, "I think I'm a pretty good guy. I've often said this to some of the sanctimonious self-righteous critics that I have: `I would hope when judgment day comes, they don't have to appear before St. Peter's table with me and only one space available for both of us and the judgment being made on which of us has done the most for his fellow man. I have no doubt St. Peter will turn to me and say, `Robert, pass through the gate."'
Old 02-19-2023, 12:46 AM
Planar Protector

ive always thought this american life were bullies, im glad you put together this long history of them doing episodes where they bully people (I didnt read it but assuming that's the content)

NPR should be ashamed really, im glad you validated my concerns they are satanic.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:09 AM
Planar Protector

Hot news, pretend sky fairy supporter declares big fat bully will go to heaven.
Bully agrees.
Vision at Time Of Death.
1/10.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hot news, pretend sky fairy supporter declares big fat bully will go to heaven.
Bully agrees.
Vision at Time Of Death.
1/10.
Quote:
1981 — Knight gets involved during Final Four in a shoving match with an LSU fan who said Knight stuffed him in a garbage can at a hotel.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-19-2023, 07:36 AM
Planar Protector

Feetballs?
Old 02-22-2023, 12:27 PM
Banned

The history nerd in me was about to say "ACTKUALLY, bullying goes back further than the 1970s..."

No shit, there's a story from Medival Europe where a bunch of high class boys (jocks) invited a bunch of peasant boys (nerds) to a joust match as a friendly gesture, and when the nerds got there they were locked in the stadium and it was lit on fire and everyone died.

Bullying used to be hardcore.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

reeeeeeeeeeeeee