Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 02-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Planar Protector

Default Hide failing with a successful hide message

This is kind of an elusive bug, and I haven't been able to reproduce it yet but I'm absolutely sure it's happening and other people have confirmed it as well. Just wanted to make a thread here to see if anyone else knows how to repro the bug.

Could be only a rogue related thing, but not sure. Basically the "You have hidden yourself from view" message displays after clicking hide, but you don't actually become hidden (character is still displayed as visible) and mobs still see you, and the hide skill button stays pressed until you click it again. This is unrelated to looting corpses while hidden.

Will work on reproducing and post in here when I figure it out.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 02-18-2015 at 09:22 PM..
Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 PM
Fire Giant

did you loot after you hid?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is unrelated to looting corpses while hidden.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Fire Giant

Yep, I've seen it as well.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:46 AM
Planar Protector

This has happened a couple more times, and I've learned a few things about the bug.

1) It's related to movement - for example, if you start running immediately after you press hide & sneak, occasionally this will happen. It will say "You have hidden yourself from view", and the hide and sneak buttons will stay pressed, but you won't actually be hidden in any way.

And therefore,

2) This is only related to rogues, since rogues are the only class that can move while hidden by using sneak. Therefore this could also involve sneak in some way and relate to how hide interacts with the sneak ability.

Still working on being able to successfully reproduce this, but if anyone's interested in reproducing it themselves, here's a couple things you can try:

1. Press hide and then sneak and start moving forward immediately after, then check to see if you're actually hidden by switching to a third person view or by conning a mob
2. Press sneak and then hide and start moving forward immediately after, then check to see if you're actually hidden by switching to a third person view or by conning a mob

Once you get a successful hide message without seeing a hide break message but you don't actually become hidden, you have successfully reproduced the bug.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 03-02-2015 at 05:11 AM..
Old 03-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Aviak

I've noticed this too. Call me crazy but I think mobs even conned indiff but still aggroed.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Ok, so I finally figured out how to reproduce this really easily. As I suspected, it is related to movement, but not in the way that I initially thought.

Here's the best way I know how to describe it:

Sometimes you're running and you want to cast a spell, and you know you need to stop running to cast, so you stop and then begin casting immediately. However, once the spell's casting time is up, it says your spell was interrupted. Now, this generally makes sense, and this is classic as heck - you simply didn't wait long enough before hitting the cast button, and your character was in a sort of "slowing down" from movement phase after you stopped running, thus interrupting the spell.

Well, the same thing applies to hide, except instead of saying "You must be standing perfectly still to hide" and failing, it gives you a successful hide message and puts you into a failed hide mode. I'm going to assume that this is not just a rogue issue, and this can happen to any race/class with the hide ability. It doesn't have anything to do with sneak, even though in the screenshot I've provided it shows me in sneak as well.

Here's how to reproduce the bug: run forward and then stop running, and immediately after you stop press hide.

Here's a screenshot of me after reproducing the bug. Notice my nameplate does not show me as invisible, and the successful hide and sneak messages show as the most recent entries in the window at the bottom.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 03-21-2015 at 04:59 PM..
Old 03-21-2015, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've noticed this too. Call me crazy but I think mobs even conned indiff but still aggroed.
Also, this is incorrect. I ran around in TT in this failed hide + successful sneak mode, and everything conned as if I was not hidden, though sneak was working fine, and everything aggrod normally.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Planar Protector

To overcome the movement issue in classic, quad kiters would send the server another packet by tapping left or right turn after stopping and then casting. This makes sure the server knows you are stationary. Should also work to overcome the hide issue.
Last edited by Ele; 03-22-2015 at 09:49 AM..
Old 03-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To overcome the movement issue in classic, quad kiters would send the server another packet to the server by tapping left or right turn after stopping and then casting. This makes sure the server knows you are stationary. Should also work to overcome the hide issue.
That totally would have been good to know back in classic... Oh well.. lol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]