Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 10:06 PM
Skeleton

According to a one sense of 'classic in spirit', that's all very true.

But surely we all know that what we're really looking for is a game that feels in most of the important ways like the game we remember & love, but also a decent, playable game. The latter only being no longer a sub-set of the former due to all of the things Tecmos & others have mentioned... so there needs to be some amendments here-and-there.

And yeh, I've said subjective things like 'the important things we remember & love' or 'decent, playable game'...

I guess as I read these threads, there's a massive polarising of opinion when it seems entirely achievable to mostly satisfy most people in both camps... let's hope the devs shoot for that.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:15 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_jp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
According to a one sense of 'classic in spirit', that's all very true.

But surely we all know that what we're really looking for is a game that feels in most of the important ways like the game we remember & love, but also a decent, playable game. The latter only being no longer a sub-set of the former due to all of the things Tecmos & others have mentioned... so there needs to be some amendments here-and-there.

And yeh, I've said subjective things like 'the important things we remember & love' or 'decent, playable game'...

I guess as I read these threads, there's a massive polarising of opinion when it seems entirely achievable to mostly satisfy most people in both camps... let's hope the devs shoot for that.
It's possible, but it would no longer be true classic Everquest. That's all. Not saying it would be worse, or better. But would definitely not be the same. And I, for one, enjoy classic Everquest as it's represented here. Even though there are things that I do wish were changed. This is also the closest thing to exactly what I want, so I'm happy.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:38 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreenk317 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's possible, but it would no longer be true classic Everquest. That's all. Not saying it would be worse, or better. But would definitely not be the same. And I, for one, enjoy classic Everquest as it's represented here. Even though there are things that I do wish were changed. This is also the closest thing to exactly what I want, so I'm happy.
So, using the group XP thing as an example, you would feel like other people grouping in DL to be social and work together would not be the same, even if you could continue to solo there, if you felt like it, with no penalty one way or the other XP-wise?

That's the sort of win-win compromise I have in mind. I dare say there are others like it.

I think I'd then be pretty happy with any situation that has no win-win possibility defaulting to some strict sense of 'classic', as a final arbiter, even when the outcome isn't according to my preference.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:04 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_jp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, using the group XP thing as an example, you would feel like other people grouping in DL to be social and work together would not be the same, even if you could continue to solo there, if you felt like it, with no penalty one way or the other XP-wise?

That's the sort of win-win compromise I have in mind. I dare say there are others like it.

I think I'd then be pretty happy with any situation that has no win-win possibility defaulting to some strict sense of 'classic', as a final arbiter, even when the outcome isn't according to my preference.
I just think of it differently. Those players in DL that are grouped and being social are choosing to do so. As such they are able to kill more mobs, faster, and safer (the group backs each other up, assists, supports, etc.). The trade off is that they receive less exp per kill for all these benefits. The solo player kills slower, has more risk (generally no one around to assist or heal if things go wrong). And as such, for this added risk and difficulty, recieves more experience.

Some classes are better at this than others (necro and Druid for example) but they are supposed to be good soloers. And that's the way the game is and has always been. And personally, the class diversity, the fact that some are great at this and suck at that, is one of the things I love most about this game. To many games make all classes viable in all situations,and that's just not my idea of fun in an mmo.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:14 AM
Skeleton

Good points. You've convinced me to not mind if they don't change it.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:24 AM
Kobold

Project 1999 does a good job of emulating the Classic-to-Pre-Luclin Era.

The server admins added custom rules/policies that were not present on Live, but are meant to help make the nostalgia trip better for everyone. Perhaps one of the most controversial is the inability to multi-box, which was one way to "solo" in the pre-Mercenary days of EQ Live.

The server is also affected by the player base, who can leverage far more knowledge than players had in 1999-2001, and use modern gaming strategies to have an advantage. Modern gaming hardware also provides an advantage.

That said, Project 1999 is free and no warranty is offered or implied. It is a fan server with its own rules. There are other fan servers that do Luclin and PoP, etc, and allow multi-boxing, and if those things are important to you, then log in on one of those other fan servers or roll your own server.
Closed Thread