Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 11-14-2023, 04:25 PM
Sarnak

Default Shadow knight aggro

With the current state of disease cloud how are most Shadow Knights holding aggro? Do you just spam lowest level snare or does the higher level one’s generate enough aggro to justify the mana?
Old 11-14-2023, 05:46 PM
Planar Protector

Clinging Darkness, Shroud of Hate, and Shadow Vortex are your three main spells. I don't think the higher level snares generate enough extra agro to justify the mana cost.

Shroud of Hate and Shadow Vortex do not break Mez. They are what you use when you want to frontload agro into a Mezed mob.

You can use all three on a mob when a group member is trying really hard to get agro. I usually have all three memed in a group.

Also use Taunt and Disarm. Those generate agro too. I have a macro that activates both at the same time.

Switching to a fast 1h weapon and shield will increase your agro generation if your group doesn't need the extra DPS from a 2h weapon.

Weapon procs help as well if you have them. But you generally don't need to go out of your way to buy and bag a high agro proc weapon. If a group member is pulling agro after using everything else mentioned above, that group member is probably doing something wrong. Or they are extremely well geared/buffed.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-14-2023 at 05:56 PM..
Old 11-14-2023, 06:11 PM
Planar Protector

Blood ember gaunts. Try to get a frostreaver as well, eventually tuna sword.
Last edited by Crede; 11-14-2023 at 06:15 PM..
Old 11-15-2023, 04:25 PM
Sarnak

Cool thanks, I have taunt at the top of my macro for clinging darkness to help with snap aggro and aggro on mez breaks.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:26 PM
Planar Protector

What spell do you pull with? The first one is aggro-locked to like 10 damage (if that). Don't burn a long CD or expensive aggro spell unless it's already aggroed by someone.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What spell do you pull with? The first one is aggro-locked to like 10 damage (if that). Don't burn a long CD or expensive aggro spell unless it's already aggroed by someone.
If you are asking me, I typically use https://wiki.project1999.com/Blazing...r_of_Fennin_Ro . Long range and not a bad cast time. I'll use Blood Ember Gauntlets instead if I need to split.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you are asking me, I typically use https://wiki.project1999.com/Blazing...r_of_Fennin_Ro . Long range and not a bad cast time. I'll use Blood Ember Gauntlets instead if I need to split.
Nah, the OP was asking about aggro issues.
I've always used a snare, even clinging, cheap...delays the pull slightly...sets up for an easy cast of a proper dmg spell.

Or a click I guess (or cancel magic).
Old 11-17-2023, 12:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nah, the OP was asking about aggro issues.
I've always used a snare, even clinging, cheap...delays the pull slightly...sets up for an easy cast of a proper dmg spell.

Or a click I guess (or cancel magic).
I haven't had agro issues in camp due to the spell I've pulled with. It doesn't really matter from what I have seen. You just need to dump a bit of agro into the mob once they get into camp and it's fine.

It takes too long to snare the mob first and then pull it into camp since the mob runs slower. I'll only snare if I am splitting specifically.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I haven't had agro issues in camp due to the spell I've pulled with. It doesn't really matter from what I have seen. You just need to dump a bit of agro into the mob once they get into camp and it's fine.

It takes too long to snare the mob first and then pull it into camp since the mob runs slower. I'll only snare if I am splitting specifically.
My point is if someone is having aggro issues, pull with a non-hate spell (siphon strength for example, its fast and cheap), THEN use your aggro spell as the second one.

Or burn a cooldown and 40 mana on a spell that does 1 hate. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
My point is if someone is having aggro issues, pull with a non-hate spell (siphon strength for example, its fast and cheap), THEN use your aggro spell as the second one.

Or burn a cooldown and 40 mana on a spell that does 1 hate. Whatever floats your boat.
Agreed. Yeah Siphon Strength is a great pulling spell if you don't have a good clickie. Super low mana cost and you can always use a bit more STR.