Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 01-24-2024, 01:45 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would if I could.

The quake system seems to cater to old players / seasoned raiders at a time when the server seems instead to be in need of new players.

Does the p99 team plan to address the slow down of new player logging in at present time and in the near future?
Old 01-24-2024, 10:03 AM
Kobold

The only thing that would bring in a noticeable batch of new players to p99 blue, aside from a green merger with no new green to follow it up, is custom content.

Nobody wants to start on a server with 15 years of alts and mudflation when they have places like Green and Quarm.

Also the core of P99s demographic is people that played classic live, or played live and heard stories about classic. That's a finite and exhaustible population, again, without custom content.

I don't think CoM Moat camp respawning prematurely once every 2 weeks is keeping people away.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:57 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoolrausch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only thing that would bring in a noticeable batch of new players to p99 blue, aside from a green merger with no new green to follow it up, is custom content.

Nobody wants to start on a server with 15 years of alts and mudflation when they have places like Green and Quarm.

Also the core of P99s demographic is people that played classic live, or played live and heard stories about classic. That's a finite and exhaustible population, again, without custom content.

I don't think CoM Moat camp respawning prematurely once every 2 weeks is keeping people away.
I think this is the appeal, for those of you that would call it that, of Quarm. Its basically a completely custom content shell using P99 graphics and zone maps.

For me its a no go. I came to P99 to play the game as it was played when I left it and P99 delivers on that perfectly. For players in their first few months it can be frustrating that the servers don't really care about or cater to you but really the "new player" experience only lasts a few months max. From that point on for a server to exist for years the only core player base are those in raiding entities that are trying to advance their equipment/capabilities.

Big fans of the GMs putting new twists out there with things like double loot and kill one pick one quakes. Would love to see some twists that create more anarchy like:
  • Unrooting all the dragons (not classic)
  • Removing the litany of rules for each encounter - stall/kite mobs as long as you want, kill mobs wherever you want, train other guilds that move up on your spot, ect.
  • Open server raid an entire round of spawns (quake or natural)
  • Add caps to max number of people on an encounter log
  • Create a proximity ring requiring everyone on the engage to be in melee distance (especially entertaining on heavy AOE mobs)
Old 01-24-2024, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpathEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think this is the appeal, for those of you that would call it that, of Quarm. Its basically a completely custom content shell using P99 graphics and zone maps.

For me its a no go. I came to P99 to play the game as it was played when I left it and P99 delivers on that perfectly. For players in their first few months it can be frustrating that the servers don't really care about or cater to you but really the "new player" experience only lasts a few months max. From that point on for a server to exist for years the only core player base are those in raiding entities that are trying to advance their equipment/capabilities.

Big fans of the GMs putting new twists out there with things like double loot and kill one pick one quakes. Would love to see some twists that create more anarchy like:
  • Unrooting all the dragons (not classic)
  • Removing the litany of rules for each encounter - stall/kite mobs as long as you want, kill mobs wherever you want, train other guilds that move up on your spot, ect.
  • Open server raid an entire round of spawns (quake or natural)
  • Add caps to max number of people on an encounter log
  • Create a proximity ring requiring everyone on the engage to be in melee distance (especially entertaining on heavy AOE mobs)
Removing the first two bullets would be dumb. Unrooting the dragons makes everything super easy. Kiting mobs for however long you want is also dumb...just means one guild could monopolize like every spawn by getting FTE and just kiting it forever.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddrick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The quake system seems to cater to old players / seasoned raiders at a time when the server seems instead to be in need of new players.

Does the p99 team plan to address the slow down of new player logging in at present time and in the near future?
I am curious how this is keeping new players away. And I don't say that with snark, I'm actually curious why quakes would be keeping new players away. To me, I would think that a new player would much rather see a system that allows other guilds to potentially snag targets rather than a full natural respawn system where one guild gets every spawn.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:55 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Removing the first two bullets would be dumb. Unrooting the dragons makes everything super easy. Kiting mobs for however long you want is also dumb...just means one guild could monopolize like every spawn by getting FTE and just kiting it forever.
Single FTE rules would still apply. While these things could make killing a single mob easier they would also add time to the equation in a different way. As someone pointed out the current quake meta is about efficiency of how quickly you can kill mobs.

It will require more choices to be made about the value of a long pull or kite for a previously unpullable/kitable mob over killing multiple mobs more quickly. The sweat beards will love how sweaty they get (despite complaining the entire time) and the guilds that don't monopolize these targets will be on a more equal playing field of figuring out a new variant of an encounter for the first time.

It will be more of a test of who has the most skill instead of who is the most rehearsed on the engage. The only real defense against it is (insert X guild) already monopolizes the spawn and we don't want to risk losing out on loot by having to compete against others.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

There I was, 2 days deep into a Ragefire track

*The ground shakes beneath your feet*

I casually stand up and start slamming my keyboard against the computer moniter. My wife comes in, I slap her to the ground.

"This is your fault bitch" I say to her

she crawls to her knees
"but what have I ever done to you to deserve to be treated like this"

I slap her back to the ground

"Quiet, I need to think"

Fucked over again by the P99 staff

As I am standing over my crying wife I notice that I dont have any pants on, and that I have a massive erection.

light headed from the blood leaving my body and entering the boner, I find myself in a state of euphoria, momentarily forgetting that my Ragefire track was interupted.

the boner fades, the rage returns

'CUCKED AGAIN' I scream

sobbing my wife says "but honey, I dont understand"

I raise my hand back to slap her down a second time, but as I am about to strike I notice my son standing in the doorway. I pick him up and, still pantless, and I throw him through the sliding glass door.

The police come

I am fully naked now, on my knees screaming. My unkempt toenails several inches long.

They taze me until I lose consciousness, but as the light begins to face I whisper "Mace quest" as all turns to black.

FIN
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 01-24-2024, 12:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There I was, 2 days deep into a Ragefire track

*The ground shakes beneath your feet*

I casually stand up and start slamming my keyboard against the computer moniter. My wife comes in, I slap her to the ground.

"This is your fault bitch" I say to her

she crawls to her knees
"but what have I ever done to you to deserve to be treated like this"

I slap her back to the ground

"Quiet, I need to think"

Fucked over again by the P99 staff

As I am standing over my crying wife I notice that I dont have any pants on, and that I have a massive erection.

light headed from the blood leaving my body and entering the boner, I find myself in a state of euphoria, momentarily forgetting that my Ragefire track was interupted.

the boner fades, the rage returns

'CUCKED AGAIN' I scream

sobbing my wife says "but honey, I dont understand"

I raise my hand back to slap her down a second time, but as I am about to strike I notice my son standing in the doorway. I pick him up and, still pantless, and I throw him through the sliding glass door.

The police come

I am fully naked now, on my knees screaming. My unkempt toenails several inches long.

They taze me until I lose consciousness, but as the light begins to face I whisper "Mace quest" as all turns to black.

FIN
lmao
Old 01-24-2024, 12:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am curious how this is keeping new players away. And I don't say that with snark, I'm actually curious why quakes would be keeping new players away. To me, I would think that a new player would much rather see a system that allows other guilds to potentially snag targets rather than a full natural respawn system where one guild gets every spawn.
Fairly certain I claimed the quakes are catering to raiders for the most part. Newer players aren't raiding yet. They don't get much in game attention/support from the CSR team here, which focuses mostly on the top end. On Blue there aren't many low levels and on Green a new player can find groups only sporadically. Quakes don't help this.

The quake mechanic doesn't appear to be a huge magnet for new players. Many newer players are finding servers with dev/csr teams that cater to new players as well as top players. Things like special event zones, special rewards, and time limited dungeons. Essentially p99 has competition that has made itself more appealing to the new player base by looking at mechanics for new players beyond quakes.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

I was in Dreadlands on my ranger running through the mountains to the druid rings when the last quake hit. Nearly shit my pants thinking I was gonna have to do a CR with Gorenaire spawning nearly within aggro range.

Fun times.

Ultimately it worked out cause I managed to get to Kael in time for statue/aoe faction tags. Saved a few hours of faction farming
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2