Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 12:31 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveeauxfour [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's debatable.
As you don't run the server, no it isn't. Why are people failing to grasp this?

Once again, the goal of this server was always to recreate classic EQ - warts and all. If that doesn't work for you or anyone, there are other alternatives cropping up that I'm sure will provide a more suitable experience for you. I say that completely free of snark or sarcasm, choice is good. Make use of it.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is this server currently planning on going to Luclin? The answer is no. Therefore, Luclin models should not exist on this server.

And before you try to say, "but who knows, maybe we will go to luclin one day!!!", let me just answer that for you now...

EVEN IF the server was planning on moving onto Luclin, only when we log in and see on the server MOTD - "Welcome to Luclin!" will the luclin models be classic.
Whether or not Luclin models should/will exist on this server is unrelated to whether or not said models are representative of classic Everquest, which is not defined by a handful of people running an unofficial server.

Personally? I think classic Everquest is EQ before any expansions are added. Others think classic goes as far as Planes of Power. The fact that the people running this server think classic is Vanilla to Velious doesn't make them right or anyone else wrong, it's just their opinion.

Which makes it debatable.

Feel free to stay mad, though.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:29 AM
Fire Giant

I hadn't switched to luclin models yet (I hate the ogres/trolls from Luclin) but I was tempted to for my wood elf just so I could see a damn drum on my bard instead of the dopey stick.

Edit: Wow, just tried the workaround, took one look at the luclin models and went right back. Nice to be able to change hair separately from face and all, but not worth the horrid bodies and armor appearance.

Clearly we just need to implement SOGA models [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Coridan; 09-15-2015 at 10:46 AM..
Old 09-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Sarnak

Here is what I never understood about Luclin models in a game that contains only the Old World and Kunark/Velious:

The STARK contrast between landscape, monsters, and this new-gen hyper-detailed character running through it.

It's like painting a hot pink square on the driver side door of a blue Mustang. Sure, I get it, you like the color pink. It just looks out of place.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Skeleton

Just recently went back to playing Live after 13 years. I mean back in the day, I was all about the new models. Something new to look at.

Now? They are bad. Especially the Iksar's. They went from looking like lizards. Their nuances where lizard-like. From the way they sat, to the way their animations were. Now they look like humanoid dinosaurs. Their animations look even more stiff than the older models.

I dunno. Some of the models had slight improvements, but overall the new models just didn't hit home.

These are just my personal opinions on the models...just getting that out there before someone decides that faces are part of their nutritional diet for the day. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-15-2015, 10:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynheart [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now? They are bad. Especially the Iksar's. They went from looking like lizards. Their nuances where lizard-like. From the way they sat, to the way their animations were. Now they look like humanoid dinosaurs. Their animations look even more stiff than the older models.
My 14-year-old self would've agreed with this on luclin day 1. Obligatory nostalgia anecdote: I can remember my first reaction being an ambivalent "huh" -- they didn't much look like the old iksars, could have been a brand new race. Then I saw that they lost their unique slithering swimming animation in favor of flailing their arms around like some kind of softskin. I drifted away from EQ pretty soon after that (for the first time -- when a friend tried to bring me back in during PoP, logging in on my same iksar shammy and seeing LOIO deserted did me in again). I don't think I would have argued that luclin models were objectively worse or even especially bad, it just felt disappointing to see the models lose their little bits of character.

But that's just me -- happy to help anyone who likes them as long as it doesn't take much effort to enable them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

One thing I will say is that luclin models make much better (...) models for custom weapon models. Classic models don't hold their weapons at very many interesting angles.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(Disgusted reactions in 3, 2...)
Old 09-15-2015, 10:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(Disgusted reactions in 3, 2...)
Old 09-16-2015, 12:21 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DING!!!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coridan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hadn't switched to luclin models yet (I hate the ogres/trolls from Luclin) but I was tempted to for my wood elf just so I could see a damn drum on my bard instead of the dopey stick.

Edit: Wow, just tried the workaround, took one look at the luclin models and went right back. Nice to be able to change hair separately from face and all, but not worth the horrid bodies and armor appearance.

Clearly we just need to implement SOGA models [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Apparently the old saying holds true:
"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

I absolutely cannot stand the ogre and troll classic models. It was one of the main reasons when I started a SK I would never choose either race, despite their bonuses. Classic models aesthetics in general are horrible to me personally.

But despite that, there is no other game that comes close to what I want in a MMORPG than what we have here. I'll take classic models over no classic EQ.
Closed Thread