Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 04:56 PM
Kobold

Default Advice on Wizardry

Well, I checked out the server pop numbers in another thread recently, and Wizards are about where I expected (damn near last). I played one to 34 or so back in the day but that was during LDoN or somesuch. I know it's probably a lot more brutal in classic.

I'm not a diehard poopsocker or anything, so I'm not looking to get into the high end raiding scene, or try to be the first to hit level cap or whatever.

Should I go for it? How are people currently playing Wizards finding the server thus far? Are you getting passed up for groups?

Any advice from people who've played a Wizard in this era is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:58 PM
Sarnak

Don't. People won't invite you to groups unless you form them. And with most camps taken, good luck with that! You're a gimped magician who, until he dings 50, has very little to offer. Yeah, people will want you to port them around, but they also will shun you when it comes to grouping.

But if you like going afk for extended periods of time like, always, go for it!
Old 10-30-2019, 08:09 PM
Fire Giant

It's a great class to play while at work. Use whole mana bar to nuke one mob, med for 10 minutes and do some work, repeat.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:29 PM
Planar Protector

Its not even that bad a DPS class in classic. It's in fact not a DPS class at all. You have a job to delete threats with burst damage. You are an artillery piece. Artillery isn't something you roll into the castle to take it, and you don't roll it up to a hill to take a hill.. but you do blow the fuck out of things so that the other pieces can take the territory. Its not thought of properly in an MMO setting usually. In a raid, that's pretty important, and in a group environment, deleting a mob can often be more effective then a very wide mez dance an Enchanter is struggling to hold.

Their function weakens in Kunark and Velious, but its still there anyway.

I'm really pro wizard.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Artillery isn't something you roll into the castle.

Sssarn

Fantasy
Old 10-30-2019, 08:40 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its not even that bad a DPS class in classic. It's in fact not a DPS class at all. You have a job to delete threats with burst damage. You are an artillery piece. Artillery isn't something you roll into the castle to take it, and you don't roll it up to a hill to take a hill.. but you do blow the fuck out of things so that the other pieces can take the territory. Its not thought of properly in an MMO setting usually. In a raid, that's pretty important, and in a group environment, deleting a mob can often be more effective then a very wide mez dance an Enchanter is struggling to hold.

Their function weakens in Kunark and Velious, but its still there anyway.

I'm really pro wizard.
This.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Fire Giant

It's not for everyone, but if you're going to play a wizard, now is the time.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 10-30-2019, 10:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a great class to play while at work. Use whole mana bar to nuke one mob, med for 10 minutes and do some work, repeat.
Its like you lived in my house while I was in graduate school...
Old 10-31-2019, 02:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
• Many groups take wizards. I got plenty of groups leveling up as a wizard on Blue this year, though I opted to quad or otherwise solo more than I grouped. Green might be even better, as a naked wizard compares better to naked melee than it does to twinks.
• Use your CC spells foremost; nuke if CC is not needed. Stun healing mobs at 40%; stun wizard/cleric mobs to prevent dispels, AE nukes, or other annoying spells; root adds; snare and then root adds. And yes, it’s not crazy to use your snare on a single mob even though it’s an AE snare. You can even snare on inc, kite and root, then sit back down. Get your flux staff (not available yet on Green) because it’s great for forcing a mob to come to you so you can root it away from the group. Why do any of this? To save healer mana by preventin mobs from hitting anyone. Keep your rune up so they don’t need to heal you. Keep a stack of reagents. Totally worth it.
• Learn to park caster mobs around corners and root them so they can’t freecast on your group. Also park healer mobs far enough away that they do not heal allied mobs.
• Form your own groups or send tells to existing groups. You are not allowed to complain about lack of groups unless you are doing this!
• Bind near your hunting area, port yourself to places like WC or EC (via NRo) to get clarity or POTG, and gate back. This noticeably improves your output of damage and CC.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:52 AM
Kobold

im doing the solo wiz at work thing, pretty fun actually