Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Aviak

I can't really tell if your complaints are with the "Bayle Marks" or with the mercenaries themselves. I know you did slightly inform us about how they work, but I can pretty much tell that you have never used one before.

But I do agree with you, it is sad to see a RL currency enter a game. But I really don't see the effect being huge or used at all for most situations. Platinum is pretty much disposable to anyone who has been in the game for a period of time. I played on the 51/50 server and I was able to easily obtain enough platinum to eventually buy a merc and pay his upkeep. Keep in mind this was on the 51/50 server and that naturally attracted players to run around with and you were thrown a very nice set of gear to begin with.

If I had decided to start a new character on any of the non 51/50 servers, I would have started out close to where you start out in project1999. I would have been given a weapon* and a tunic. I know there is some tutorial where you can get a little more cash and a little gear but you still start pretty broke. The main point is that you are basically thrown into an empty world. The game has been around so long that the player base has become very top heavy.

Now enter the mercs and eventual "Bayle Marks". Will any player who has been around consider real life money to pay for the mercs? Hell no! They are cheap to maintain. Will a player who is new and has a limited source of income consider it? Possibly, but I would love to see the stats of new players entering the game. Regardless of the slight parallel that can be drawn between "Bayle Marks" and RL money... yes, a direction connection can be made but in reality there does not appear to be much of a significant application at all. If you want to complain about mercs, thats a whole other discussion!

It was also pointed out that WOW has the mount offer for $25 bucks. I heard about that the other day from a friend that was still playing the game. I personally thought it was funny and commend Blizzard on the use of well designed micro transactions.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Sarnak

personally i dont know why they didnt do it sooner, the only way you can combat the market of selling shit for irl cash is if you can control that market.

they never did anything to people who were selling shit.

i ended up making around 10 - 12k IRL cash over my 9 years of live.

as for the service of the npcs, meh they couldnt do anywhere near what i did with my 5 box power lvling so dosent bother me.
Last edited by nicemace; 04-21-2010 at 07:45 PM..
Old 04-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Sarnak

wow, let me just purchase a max lvl char!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzWeaver [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On an internal Ten Ton Hammer news discussion email, Jay “Medeor” Johnson commented that he felt SOE had made an interesting move, but that the new pricing option had too many constraints. He proposed that a number of non-consecutive hours for the $5 fee might be a better approach. I have to agree that I’d be more tempted to play if I had X hours to kill at my leisure than if I had to burn a weekend (or any other 3 days straight) to get my money’s worth. Who knows why SOE didn’t do it that way. Perhaps it’s much easier technically to flag an account by the consecutive day than by hours played. Or maybe a passport by the hour didn’t make monetary sense.

Still, it’s encouraging to see SOE thinking outside the $15 per month subscription box most AAA MMOGs find themselves in. I’ve played a few MMOGs in my day that left me thinking, “I enjoy this, but I don’t play often enough to justify a monthly subscription.” I’m not sure SOE’s found the right answer to dilemmas like mine, but it does my heart good to know that at least one AAA developer is searching for them.
I agree 100% with this. If they did a $5 for say 72 hours of playtime, anytime you want - I would totally do it. I never play more than this of any single game in a month. And I would be extremely happy to pay $5 instead of $15 for my amount of playtime.

I'm also glad to see they are doing stuff like this, as I am more casual than hardcore. And like I said previously, I don't play more than 72 hours of gaming in a month (I probably do more like 40-50 hours MAX in a month). So this is a great option for me. WHich is why I've found I enjoy Free-To-Play games with micro-transactions.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

The Asian platinum market has been around forever in EQ and Sony has never seen dime 1 of that money. They can ban the plat farmers all day long but that does not keep new accounts from being created.

This is basically the only way they can see some of that untapped profit that being generated from their game.

Yeah it kind of sucks in a way but it really does make the most sense from a business standpoint. If you can't get rid of it, regulate it and profit from it.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMagic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree 100% with this. If they did a $5 for say 72 hours of playtime, anytime you want - I would totally do it. I never play more than this of any single game in a month. And I would be extremely happy to pay $5 instead of $15 for my amount of playtime.

I'm also glad to see they are doing stuff like this, as I am more casual than hardcore. And like I said previously, I don't play more than 72 hours of gaming in a month (I probably do more like 40-50 hours MAX in a month). So this is a great option for me. WHich is why I've found I enjoy Free-To-Play games with micro-transactions.
You make a good point, but it's also a bad point. You play a max of 50 hours. That's more than most people play in a month i bet, so why would they want to lose $15 a month by giving you your playtime for $5.

They'd be wiser to check to see their current player base, and the majority of play times, and then maybe have the pass cover 60% of the lower amount of play times, that way ensuring the current player base keep paying the $15 rather than opting for the $5.

I enchant things...
Old 04-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Sarnak

Actually, I HAVE used mercs before. I know exactly how they work. My issue isn't so much with mercs, but with the use of RL money to improve your character in the game.

I didn't like Smed cash AT ALL, but at least before, you were only able to use it for cosmetic stuff. Now that you can use it to pay your mercs, you can basically purchase platinum with your credit card, right from SOE. If you don't have to use that plat to pay your merc, you can use it for something else, so in a very real way, the marks you purchased to pay your merc IS plat you purchased from SOE with your credit card.

It doesn't matter if 100,000 people use it, or if nobody uses it. The bottom line is that SOE has become a plat seller.

Again, the issue is not mercs (though that's a separate issue), the issue is with allowing people to BUY progression in the game with RL money. For me, the issue is with smed cash period.

And yes, I'd heard about the WoW mounts, and am floored by that, as well. But this is an EQ forum, which is why I didn't mention it. I'll have to look more into that, too.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Fire Giant

Smedley Treehorn treats objects like their women, man.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

ugh. 5 buck for 3 days?

If you are going RMT. Go free to play.

It is working for Runes of Magic...
Closed Thread