Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Aviak

Question Would you work a day Pro-Bono? Opinion Pls!

I'm a graphic designer with some experience in photo studios the past year - Out of college a couple years now been doing mostly freelance since my last job debacle.

The Situation: I Had a 2.5 Hour interview Friday with a photography shop and the owner refused to commit to making a decision on if he was hiring me for real.

Sooo...okay, maybe he needs to think it over. We kind of went over everything enough that I felt any reasonable owner could make a decision on a 12$/hour Part-Time Job (2-3 days a week).

He tells me he would let me know Sunday at like 5pm...the night before I "might" start working.

So he calls me up at 6pm to let me know that he's decided!!! I can come tomorrow to observe while receiving some training - But he doesn't let me know is he isn't paying you for this time spent. And its 9:30am-7pm, which is a full day. - I find out that he is not paying me for my time, and in a way is still avoiding committing to a decision -

With all of this I realize that I can easily say this "its only one day, and what else am i doing anyways" and shrug that off but thats how Ive always been - and because of it, at my previous job (which also ironically happened to be for photography studio) ive continuously been taken advantage of by people who feel they can do that on other stuff too.

So my thinking is that if from the very start of a job ALREADY they arent even being fair for my time-spent its like a bit of a sign to me and raises the red flags - I'm trying to decide if I'm blowing all of this out of proportion, or if these bad vibes are legitimate concerns because i've felt used in the past by my employer.

My take on it is still that he's getting all the advantages, he gets to give me a "test-run" for non-committal day of work -( Wow this guy is really counting his pennies )- At worst I will be the one ending up with a days time wasted, and being quite pissed off because I could be spending that time on EVERQUEST!! (haha well.. maybe, I do have stuff to live for outside this game too) -

Of course where better to find advice on such endeavors than the P99 forums !!! Thanx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

-L
Last edited by Loretta; 04-25-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Old 04-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Fire Giant

The paragraph about him saying whether he is going to pay you or not is a bit confusing. He wants you to come in but told you he wasn't going to pay for the first day? Or he wants you to come in but didn't tell you at all? Or?...

Either way, I don't really think it would be acting like a pushover if you need the job, but if he told you come in and is going to be like "surprise I'm not paying you" then that's a decent problem.

It's going to be hard for anyone to tell you over the internet if hes yanking your chain or actually does want to spend time making the decision to hire someone(you.) I'd say it all comes down to how bad you need a job.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by President [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The paragraph about him saying whether he is going to pay you or not is a bit confusing. He wants you to come in but told you he wasn't going to pay for the first day? Or he wants you to come in but didn't tell you at all? Or?...

Either way, I don't really think it would be acting like a pushover if you need the job, but if he told you come in and is going to be like "surprise I'm not paying you" then that's a decent problem.

It's going to be hard for anyone to tell you over the internet if hes yanking your chain or actually does want to spend time making the decision to hire someone(you.) I'd say it all comes down to how bad you need a job.
He at first didn't tell me if he was paying me or not for my time tomorrow. I didnt' think at the time to ask because I assumed (never assume!! the first rule!) - I kinda just figured he would pay me for it, but I decided to call back and ask and he said. No, he will pay me if he decides after tomorrow to keep me on, which kinda makes me feel alittle annoyed, its only a days pay -

This goes both ways, but so far all I have experienced from this business owner is that his uncanny ability at indecision.

Appreciate your take too [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]... I might need to run a few miles to get this off my chest before bed and before deciding if I bite the bullet and yet again compromise my dignity for the almighty dollar. I've got some savings so I could go for a few months while I continue looking, thats my other option -

The temp-agency I've been freelancing for has me in transition now for my next job and hasn't found anything for me in about a week, so its got me a little nervous too.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Planar Protector

Consider it a site interview with the people you will be working with/for to see if it is a fit. You're leaving out the part where you get to see if you actually WANT to work there without having to make a commitment to him first.

It's one day. In this economy, some people would bite the bullet a lot harder than that just to have a job. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 04-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Planar Protector

^/agree

Give it your best and if it doesn't work out, write it off to experience!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Aviak

As someone who's worked freelancing as a 3D artist you get ripped off a lot.

This is exactly what the guy is trying to do, rip you off.

No pro-bono

No free work

You have to, HAVE TO stick to that rule, don'te let it slip even once
Old 04-26-2010, 01:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewybunny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

No pro-bono

No free work

Confirm.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewybunny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

No pro-bono

No free work

I don't think she is saying that the dude is actually asking her to work for free, sounds more like seeing if they gel as a team?

I dunno. Seems like one day isn't so bad to get your foot in the door?

Listen to the vets over me tho, I've only ever done graphics for free or based on a specific commission.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Aviak

Experience is wonderful, yes.

However, a lot of times these guys will play you foul. And you'd think you are getting exp out of it which isn't the mentality you should have. Plus, is professional, he would pay her, no matter what. Otherwise he isn't testing her, just getting free labor. And that usually means poor business anyway, nothing you'd like to jott down on your resume for.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Planar Protector

To everyone saying he's getting "free labor" or making her "work for free", from her original post:

"I can come tomorrow to observe while receiving some training"

Nowhere did she mention he expected her to do any graphic design work or anything. She is just coming in to observe and receive training. She can use that opportunity to decide if she likes the work and the people she's working with. If she is asked to do work, she can refuse at that point and remind them she's only there to observe per his original expectations for her. If they give her crap at that point, THEN she can choose to leave out of fear of being used. Until then, she has a great opportunity to see what the work is like and make her own decision about whether she would want to work there.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Closed Thread