Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor84 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This. The game was fine as it was, gamma and mechanics wise. I'd even argue we don't need Velious at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naprox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nice changes. Interesting that you'd do a player purge before Christmas holiday started.
At any rate, enjoy the lower pops now. I guess that bandwidth was getting expensive.
oh you guys are funny
Old 12-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Sarnak

Thanks for the work/coding you do devs.

All about being classic, but gamma still changes after server select screen. Loading screen to character select screen is when gamma goes dark. Not even in game yet...

changing the weather one zone at a time...
Old 12-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Aviak

Thanks for the patch devs. However I'm still having issues with gamma (I've been posting in the technical discussion thread all throughout beta).

Tested dark elf ultra, my human with infravision gloves and light-source, along with maxed gamma and flux and it still too dark to be playable. FWIW Haynor the Blackburrow tunnel being completely dark without a torch was how things were pre-patch on my machine. My first day on the server in August I died to the two gnoll guards at the tunnel and had to get a torch to see anything at all.

Not sure if I'm in the minority but this is frustrating. The problems seem wide-spread, let me know if screenshots or system specs are helpful.

Edit: Added dark-elf SS at PoD from my system:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by jake505; 12-03-2014 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: adding image
Old 12-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Planar Protector

ppl bitch about wanting it classic, then bitch that its TOO classic..

Thank you H specifically for the true gamma return, I play mostly humans and was hoping this would get fixed.. <3
Old 12-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haynar - EQ will now require full screen. Any attempt to alt tab or circumvent will crash client.
Haynar - Classic UI now enabled.
Haynar - Item linking removed.
nilbog - Casters must now view spell book to med until 30.

I can't wait until the day comes when I get to see these patch notes and the subsequent tears. The gamma, while not perfected yet, is a great classic implementation that really reminds you what classic eq was like. Pras.
Sir, you are a moron. This current gamma is nothing even remotely like classic eq and the devs have realized this. Gamma in eq worked based on the race's vision bonuses or lack of them. It was character specific. If you had a spell that improved vision or an item that produced it's own light source in varying degrees this offset it.

This is completely different. The gamma is being set on the client itself completely ignoring race, items, illumination sources and whatnot. It is dimming the entire screen and everything on it to include inventory, icons, menus, chat.

I'm all for classic race bonuses/restrictions as that is what made the choices actually mean something, but this is a bug, an error, an attempt to simulate the lighting that didn't work out. The devs have posted they've realized it and are working on a fix.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Aviak

I think they rewarded me for beta testing, my ec tunnel toon is wearing a full set of gnome skin armor.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Sarnak

Here's some sanity:

The gamma changes are not affecting every user equally. Some are experiencing an unusable UI with total blackness, and others (such as myself) simply have darkened graphics which are totally usable and readable with none of the glitches seen in screenshots.

It's also untrue what some have said that Infravision/Ultra vision have no effect. Again, this seems to vary from setup to setup but on my own machine there is a marked difference between unaided sight and the vision buffs. They're certainly having an effect, if not working as intended.

The people that bring us this game are very experienced coders, and I cringe every time someone insinuates these gamma changes were tested on a single machine. These guys aren't so foolish as to roll out a graphical update like this without testing on a few different hardware setups.

It's obvious some long-term players are having very negative results from this patch, and it's sad to see for sure. It's my hope the Dev team will do something to fix things for these people.

I just want to be on record as a player that has experienced nothing but a darkening; I'm having none of the issues being presented. We may not be as vocal as those experiencing glitches, but we exist.

Using WINE plus Q4wine to create a Windows environment
Playing in windowed but filling screen
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 730
Last edited by Feanol; 12-03-2014 at 01:33 PM..
Old 12-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's some sanity:

The gamma changes are not affecting every user equally. Some are experiencing an unusable UI with total blackness, and others (such as myself) simply have darkened graphics which are totally usable and readable with none of the glitches seen in screenshots.

It's also untrue what some have said that Infravision/Ultra vision have no effect. Again, this seems to vary from setup to setup but on my own machine there is a marked difference between unaided sight and the vision buffs. They're certainly having an effect, if not working as intended.

The people that bring us this game are very experienced coders, and I cringe every time someone insinuates these gamma changes were tested on a single machine. These guys aren't so foolish as to roll out a graphical update like this without testing on a few different hardware setups.

It's obvious some long-term players are having very negative results from this patch, and it's sad to see for sure. It's my hope the Dev team will do something to fix things for these people.

I just want to be on record as a player that has experienced nothing but a darkening; I'm having none of the issues being presented. We may not be as vocal as those experiencing glitches, but we exist.
Yeah I think the darkness itself would be easier to handle if it didn't mess with the entire screen. I logged onto my WoodElf mule and I could barely see my backpacks with gamma cranked up.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Planar Protector

UI was either the old white square box (so wasnt an issue) or velious UI that used white buttons and old ui inventory. the issue is the custom UI.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Sarnak

Sad to hear so many are having issues. I'm just coming back to P99 again after at least a year away. I grabbed the spell effects project and logged into beta and was extremely happy with what I saw. Classic lighting is huge to me, this effort can't be abandoned!

But I hope all of you guys having issues get it worked out or they provide a fix for you. I know even some DE's are complaining. But i swear.... back in the day my DE carried a beatle eye still cause zones like sol b were still a bit too dark. So many of my brain cells have parrished since then though, I could be mistaken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread