Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormotus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
without sound P99 or EQ at all is not eq.[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^^
Old 10-01-2019, 06:15 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^^
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You can do some of the workarounds I did at first personally on particular tracks I really liked.

Just find a good sample of track emulating an awe32 or roland or even an old SB , Adlib or Pro Audio Spectrum you enjoy and then turn it into an .mp3 file.

But then when deciding to use my Linux installation as my main gaming platform for P99 (it runs so much better there) I did something different.

I just removed most of the mp3s that come with titanium and replaced them with the original mid files and decided to use the closest I could find replica of the awe 32 soundfont.

The game can read the mid files over the mp3 ones. I will try to dig my old thread in Support where I explained how to not repeat myself needlessly.

Since hearing is such a selective method, the closest you can get is finding amongst the myriad awe32 soundfonts on the net one that matches your expectations.

Here is my old Midi Thread, though it relies on Linux it is actually quite easy to understand the basics

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=295681

The reason I find Lubuntu and Linux superior to dedicate a whole partition of it to play P99 is that it actually emulates the windows of the time much better, and this includes audio.

Again it might be a bit extreme, but you can always opt to just grab some of the myriad resamples of eq classical music through emulators and even through the real sound cards of the time and turn it into an mp3.

If you want to experiment a bit I heartily recommend MUNT if you are on PC/Windows...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/

Munt Emulates roland and many other mid devices of the time.

Not everything has to have an AWE 32 soundfont, and sometimes certain games sound better or you might enjoy some sounds more if they come through a roland soundfont.

There are many options regarding music , hope this helps you a bit.[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 10-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Planar Protector

Just to clarify, since I get the impression people here don't fully "grok" it ... midi files are not sound recordings. MP3s, WAV files, etc. those all are digital formats for storing audio recordings ... but not MIDIs.

What MIDI files are is more like sheet music. They (essentially) say "the trumpet plays this note at this moment" ... but they leave it up the MIDI-playing program to decide exactly what that trumpet sounds like. They don't store the sound of a trumpet, which made midi files much smaller (and more attractive to devs) than actual audio recordings back then.

That's why there's differences between different sound cards and such: they all have different (virtual) "instruments".

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People that play everquest with the sound turned off are monsters.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Definitley remastered, i personally love the original music and wish daybreak would launch a real classic server with real staff, real rules, fair treatment and no scandals

sigh
I have wishes of my own.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So now that the conversation has started, what have some people found on the interwebz that gets the midis as close to the original sounds as possible?
Examples:
Kelethin
Neriak, Necromancer guild
North Ro
Boat Theme, OoT

*The sounds are correct and not remixed but they are cleaned up. It would sound different coming through a MIDI card and speakers of the time. I was using a Soundblaster Live! and Boston Acoustic Digital BA735 speakers.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just to clarify, since I get the impression people here don't fully "grok" it ... midi files are not sound recordings. MP3s, WAV files, etc. those all are digital formats for storing audio recordings ... but not MIDIs.

What MIDI files are is more like sheet music. They (essentially) say "the trumpet plays this note at this moment" ... but they leave it up the MIDI-playing program to decide exactly what that trumpet sounds like. They don't store the sound of a trumpet, which made midi files much smaller (and more attractive to devs) than actual audio recordings back then.

That's why there's differences between different sound cards and such: they all have different (virtual) "instruments".
/\

LGR's MIDI Mountain

8-Bit Guy, Soundblaster Keyboards.
Last edited by Mblake81; 10-01-2019 at 08:15 PM..
Old 10-01-2019, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A great many people presently use onboard sound which typically has only poor MIDI support. Way back when you would've been using things like SoundBlaster Live! or AWE32 which would've given different results. That being said it still wouldn't have sounded quite the same as that modern video. There are old videos also on youtube made using various types of hardware (or simulated equivalents).

For my part I was also among the folks who always turned game music off (sound on, but music off). 90's MIDI music always sounded so bad compared to consoles of the era.

Danth
Yeah, good info. There were some games that got into Mod Tracker sounds like the original Deus Ex (the only Deus Ex game), I am not all that familiar with it. But I would argue that better or worse computers had their own sound. It was one less thing stretched across the board with every other device. Some people are all about the multiplatform but I am one of the guys that hate it. It all tastes like Vanilla.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You pasted a 8 Bit guy video, you are already in my fav person book!

That channel rocks so much, I am stuck on permanent vintage mode and some of his videos are so relaxing I usually leave them on on my big screen so I can see them as I do chores around the house.

Some of his unboxing vintage computers are the best!

And LGR channel is what got me into MUNT madness ... so much good stuff there!

And yes, having EQ sound exactly as it was back in the day is really fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 10-02-2019, 01:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
/cheers
Does it work?
Closed Thread