Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

Default Best mage pet for farming (besides epic)?

Hi,

My mage his 56 and I can either farm a little plat or keep pushing. Venturing into a greenie zone with a bag of malachite and a Burnt Wood Staff seems the most efficient way to keep going. Summon pet, burnout, click and refresh pet when it dies.

I like Dyzll’s Deafening Decoy in theory since you save the DS mana and it stays up the whole time. Probably the best choice at 56. Dps is pretty horrible though.

Should I keep grinding to at least get the 57 earth if not the 59 air or just plug away slowly with the derpy fire pet? Thanks!
Old 12-22-2020, 11:58 AM
Kobold

My mage is 56 as well. I was pretty excited to get Dyzll’s Deafening Decoy but I was not impressed when fighting greens. Greens miss a lot so the damage shield is not that useful to me. What I really like the a water pet focused with water staff. They hit hard, nuke often and backstab running mobs. I just toss a haste and DS on my water pet and let it go nuts. But Im no mage expert!
Old 12-22-2020, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My mage is 56 as well. I was pretty excited to get Dyzll’s Deafening Decoy but I was not impressed when fighting greens. Greens miss a lot so the damage shield is not that useful to me. What I really like the a water pet focused with water staff. They hit hard, nuke often and backstab running mobs. I just toss a haste and DS on my water pet and let it go nuts. But Im no mage expert!
Thanks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] . Appreciate the input!

No water staff here; phinny has been stingy. I'll give that a crack tho.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] . Appreciate the input!

No water staff here; phinny has been stingy. I'll give that a crack tho.
That's a tough question.

What zone and greenies do you intend on farming? Some will destroy your pet in no time, others of the same level bracket won't

Raw hp, AC, max hit and pet level are in favor of 57 earth pet, but I would still go for 54 water pet provided you managed to get a staff off Phinni. If you can handle getting hit from time to time, just get in melee range and have water pet backstab mobs. Works really well with buffs like PotG and saves your pet a lot of hps & downtime. But then again, if those greenies hit too hard for water pet or you, and without a water staff, 57 earth pet would be a better choice.

I've never been a big fan of earth pet even to solo, I always have liked air and water pet better. To answer one of your questions, 59 air pet is a stud (more so with PoS air mastery staff), but it's a long way from 56 to 59.

I've been using 59 air pet almost exclusively in Droga to get enough skins & salts to get 2 chars from KoS to Ally and it's been wrecking goblins AF 🙂. It's stun ability is insane to prevent mobs from casting or hitting
Old 12-22-2020, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaarsuvius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's a tough question.

What zone and greenies do you intend on farming? Some will destroy your pet in no time, others of the same level bracket won't
Sorry, yea that initial post was cryptic.

I was thinking mostly droga.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, yea that initial post was cryptic.

I was thinking mostly droga.
Pets can take a beating if you get a few adds in there...
I think 54 water pet should fare better than DDD, as should (obviously) 57 earth pet.

Your BWS should help you save mana on nukes you'll have to spend on DS & BO if you don't have Thurg or SS clickies

Soothsayer, Chief, bodyguard camp should not be too hard to hold at your level if you're careful of roamers/ adds
Old 12-23-2020, 12:07 AM
Planar Protector

It's worth it to get to 57 for the Earth pet. A fully buffed, max-level Earth pet will cut through greens like the proverbial knife through butter, and is tanky enough to rarely ever get in trouble, even if surrounded.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:52 AM
Planar Protector

Thanks for the great notes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

I made the mage to farm so I might as well push a bit so it does even better. Really looking forward to the next few pets anyways.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:56 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's worth it to get to 57 for the Earth pet. A fully buffed, max-level Earth pet will cut through greens like the proverbial knife through butter, and is tanky enough to rarely ever get in trouble, even if surrounded.
How is the earth pet without earth staff focus? Even if it does get in trouble you can chain cast the pet. I really wish they would fix the agro when chain casting pets. At least with earth pet roots you can try to get a few mobs off ya.

I was pretty bummed with the performance of DDD. I dont really use it at all. I very much enjoy the focused water pet. Toss on haste, muzzle and DS. What Im really looking forward to is the 60 water pet. I bet hes a beast! One pet I have not played around with much is the air pet. I dont have a air staff at the moment or maybe I would.
Closed Thread