Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Orc

Disabling target rings is basically a "fuck you" to newer, low level players. All the level 60s had the benefit of going to sleep during fucking boring, mindless exp grind groups, but now new players on the server don't have this benefit? Sure you've got your stupid club as big as you want it, I guess.

Also, this is an imbalanced nerf to short melees (dwarves, gnomes, and halflings). We have to look up at flashing names now.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

It's how it was in classic, bub.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Banned

i would echo the thought that i really wish people would stop with the "its not classic" bullshit. there are obviously plenty of things about this server that aren't classic.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semli [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The UI stuff is nonsense. That argument in silly and they know it. It can go both ways.

"Non-classic UI? This server is clearly not classic. Put the rest of the expansions in, too. I want the PoK."

The server is still a work in progress. They're working toward a goal. There will be players that joined somewhere along the way that won't want certain aspects of the server to change from that point. Sorry, guys, your input matters little, if at all. What EQ was like is what matters.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Speaking of which, I'm curious to know why you'd remove target rings but you left item linking in.

I keep hearing this 'not classic' argument but it seems like you pick and choose what you want to be classic.
which brings us right back to two boxing. Its Custom1999!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardalicious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You guys are arguing that them removing target rings is parallel to removing the ability to modify the user interface, which is incorrect. If they had removed the ability to use CUSTOM target rings I would agree, however they removed a game feature. Not a UI customization.
You're incorrect. A display highlighting what is targeted is very much part of the user interface, customizable or not. If you feel differently consider battling it out on the wikipedia entry.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardalicious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it does not matter, then why argue to keep them on the blue server? They simplify game play, which was pretty much the opposite of why EverQuest had its appeal. That holds true for PVE and PVP both.
I'm not, I don't care one way or the other.

I was just curious why a PVP arguement was being made on the blue server [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're incorrect. A display highlighting what is targeted is very much part of the user interface, customizable or not. If you feel differently consider battling it out on the wikipedia entry.

Re-read what he said. You're agreeing with him.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd prefer battling it out where it was relevant, such as this conversation, but being that you provide no real argument other than "you are wrong", it seems overly fruitless.

You have your opinion. I have mine. The difference being that I support mine with a logical argument. I'm not even sure what you are disagreeing with in my statement. Are you saying that because a target ring can be construed as part of the User Interface, it should be acceptable to leave it to the players to decide if they want it?

Again, that is incorrect in the same sense that players are not allowed to use glowing models in first person shooters. It simplifies the game. It being in the space where the user is interacting with the game is no basis for any logical argument to keep them in when the goal of this project was to emulate classical EverQuest in the spirit of challenging game play.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Orc

Quote:
I'd prefer battling it out where it was relevant, such as this conversation, but being that you provide no real argument other than "you are wrong", it seems overly fruitless.

You have your opinion. I have mine. The difference being that I support mine with a logical argument. I'm not even sure what you are disagreeing with in my statement. Are you saying that because a target ring can be construed as part of the User Interface, it should be acceptable to leave it to the players to decide if they want it?

Again, that is incorrect in the same sense that players are not allowed to use glowing models in first person shooters. It simplifies the game. It being in the space where the user is interacting with the game is no basis for any logical argument to keep them in when the goal of this project was to emulate classical EverQuest in the spirit of challenging game play.
I gathered that you were saying what wasn't customizable was not part of the UI, but a graphical highlight of what is targeted is very much part of the UI customizable or not. The controls are displays are all by definition part of the UI. For those of us that don't plan to remake a character on red99 this change just makes the UI more cumbersome.

I obviously don't like the change, and even less knowing it was made for a PVP reason that wont matter today, and will never matter here. Oh well, I'll adjust and get over it as I doubt we'll see it changed back.
Closed Thread