Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Large Rat

Default Ol' Vazaelle player returning for some classic goodness

Just wanted to poke my head around to see if any former Vazaelle folks are still playing on P99. I see that at least some of them did for a time per the P99 wiki, but I haven't found any of them online in-game in the past week or two.

I tried the Phinigel TLP server back in 2016, and that quickly ended up in a garbage experience. The multitude of "QoL" changes (/pickzones, increased xp rate, no corpse runs, etc) already made it a completely different and neutered experience. But, seeing the forums filled with people arguing for an even faster XP rate, unfettered boxing, and other further QoL changes were a big part in killing the enjoyment (combined with fast expansion unlocks and the sense of "everyone must race" server-wide that meant min/maxing at all costs). Krono absolutely shat all over the economy, too.

I started up on P99 at the tail end of last month, and at this point have a Cleric up to L35. Absolutely loving the return to an actual facsimile of classic EQ. I've enjoyed making the BB<->FP boat trip several times already. I've REALLY enjoyed the return to actually settling in for hours at a time with level appropriate geared folks (with only a few modestly twinked toons) holding a conversation with people. Then, seeing those same people throughout the week and starting to develop friendships with them.

Oddly enough, the most unclassic thing so far is how nice people generally are. Within my first evening of creating my character I was given a few random items and 100pp.

The biggest deterrent in the past from starting up on P99 was/is the raiding scene. From lurking over the past few years to even this past month of being on P99, it seems absolutely toxic and prohibitive beyond anything experienced on Live. The only reason I even decided to finally give P99 a go is after I decided I think I could be okay with never participating in downing raid targets. That makes me sad, but the L1-L60 leveling is should provide with fun for a while.

So far, though, I'm having a blast. The wife was interested in checking it out and so I've just recently rolled my old EQ Live main, ENC, and she's playing a CLR.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:13 AM
Kobold

Raiding scene isn't nearly as toxic as the forums make it out to be. I was super skeptical until I joined a few raids. There is some drama around the top end tier content, and this is mostly because ToV wasn't designed for an environment like p99, but low/mid content is definitely friendly even when racing for targets.

Don't knock it before you rock it! Some of the funnest/most rewarding everquest experiences are with a raid.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:26 PM
Large Bat

Holy shit is this THE Venthos the Freshmaker? What a legend.

Remember this thread? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vaza...vaz-t3415.html

Man, the good ol days.

-Thorbanejr
Old 02-25-2019, 09:34 PM
Large Rat

Indeed!

I don't remember that thread, but I miss those guys so hard (Hoeser / Scarboar). It's not everyday that you get a song written about you. I still have it saved somewhere.

Those were the days...
Old 02-26-2019, 11:31 PM
Sarnak

Welcome back to the addiction!
Old 03-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Orc

I was from vaz, a ranger named kulolan....believe I was guilded in eye of the deciever and then the guild turned into vantage? I've been on this server on and off throughout the years myself ...venthos u were a legend lol. I have not raided on p99 ..just exping random classes ...
Old 03-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Aviak

I've been raiding for a few weeks now and it's fine. Actually I've had a lot of fun! The quake this past Sunday was probably one of the most fun experiences I've had in all of my EQ days. Don't discredit it until you get to raiding levels and give it a shot.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:38 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
eye of the deciever and then the guild turned into vantage?
Vantage was the guild that I ran, and Eye of the Deceiver was a guild that generally ran against similar raid targets that we did back in Vantage's heydey. I struggled to remember who its leader was, but thanks to the internet wayback machine, it looks like it was Solax. Our guilds butted heads often, and I remember one day making them particularly salty when we foot raced them to Grummus in Plane of Disease and beat them out. I definitely remember you/your name, though!
Closed Thread