Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-23-2019, 01:45 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Exclamation Insane constant flickering and glitching on fullscreen -- halp!

Hi all,

I was prepping for Green launch on Friday, downloaded all the necessary files, and am having some serious glitching. Here's what's happening:

* On fullscreen, 16 bit, the game has major glitches, missing the world and buildings and only showing NPCs, PCs, street lamps, doors, etc.

* On fullscreen, 32 bit, the game flickers insanely, constantly flashing.

* On windowed mode, none of these issues occur, but the game is very slow and laggy.

I should say that I'm running the game on VMWare, using Windows XP Pro SP 3 x86. This may sound wonky, but it's worked great for Project1999 for the last ~5 years since I've been a Mac user.

Have tried: reinstalling WinXP, reinstalling Titanium, downloading Blue files and logging on Blue, decreasing refresh rate, removing dynamic lighting, shadows, cache/compressed graphics, etc., setting eqclient.ini dimensions to desktop dimensions for windowed, trying all compatibility modes for EQGame.exe, installing WinEQ2.

Nothing helps.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:32 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Bump -- any ideas? Did any any P99 patches come out recently that changed the graphics/require updated drivers or software? Last I played was in June in the same setup with no issues.

Also: I loaded "Omens of War" on the Emu server list, just out of curiosity, and there were NONE of these issues on the character select screen.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:27 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Having a similar issue
Old 05-01-2021, 01:53 PM
Fire Giant

This is on a MAC with Virtual Machine of Win XP?

Is this with a Macbook Pro or? M.2 SSD Slot?

I can only guess but it seems a Memory issue, be it virtual memory or ram or hard-drive/ssd/m.2 as in it isn't "loading" things properly, from storing it into your memory ram and accessing it again through your ssd/hdd.

If its a Mac, they are weird in that it is more of a Image memory than a Disc memory in how things load. There are differences there so maybe the hardware was upgrades or the software has been tweaked which I know it has. The game has Ambient Occlusion now which I have don't remember being in P99, but maybe I was just oblivious to it.

So maybe it could be a graphical issue, maybe your onboard video got a update that broke how P99 works on that hardware through some sort of optimization they pushed on your hardware.. upgrade or downgrade of your graphics drivers might work maybe?

Just grasping at straws without some specs, logs etc but it sounds like it isn't loading the big ass .OBJ that is the zone, no games really do things that way anymore maybe the hardware optimized itself to make that kind of thing obsolete as now adays things are done with a terrain then the building objects are placed in, but in EQ the whole zone (Qeynos for example) is just one large Object file, but it is loading the Actors and smaller object files, even maybe the collision for the Zone itself? Seems a memory issue..

Also, Have you tried a different Virtual Machine software?