Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 01:54 AM
Planar Protector

lol here to be specific when you order fresh (packaging aside I mean the packaging in fresh is insane, they will put string cheese in its own mylar bag for christ sake, milk, anything even slightly cold, its own exceptionally not recycable bag)

but yea, its gig economy so the drivers come from far far away to deliver your groceries picked up either from that same store less than 2 miles away, or one out of the way on their way in.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-28-2020, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

How many 2/5 mile round-trips does it take to out-carbon an Amazon truck doing a 96 mile round-trip delivering along the way?

Youve made a good point about instacart lol
Old 06-28-2020, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, and fresh works same as instacart. But think about it this way, when you're outside whether you're on foot or driving and if you do your shopping then, vs being outside and having a few personal assistants doing it for you, driving all around those same streets, well there you go.

Like most things delivery systems are for convinence, not the betterment of society. Jeff Bezo's is a smart guy but he's not making the world a better place with the delivery system he's built/building.

Im not smart enough to know this much but my guess would be that it'd take some kind of electrical drone system to have a reverse impact on your footprint ordering something online.

Another way to think about it is like, every few items in order, you create a copy of you that appears somewhere, drives out and buys it and brings it house, and then drives back to where they started and disappears.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, and fresh works same as instacart. But think about it this way, when you're outside whether you're on foot or driving and if you do your shopping then, vs being outside and having a few personal assistants doing it for you, driving all around those same streets, well there you go.

Like most things delivery systems are for convinence, not the betterment of society. Jeff Bezo's is a smart guy but he's not making the world a better place with the delivery system he's built/building.

Im not smart enough to know this much but my guess would be that it'd take some kind of electrical drone system to have a reverse impact on your footprint ordering something online.

Another way to think about it is like, every few items in order, you create a copy of you that appears somewhere, drives out and buys it and brings it house, and then drives back to where they started and disappears.
Wouldn't it be net neutral at worst unless ease of access increases consumption?

Morsel hazard...could really go for some funyuns
Old 06-28-2020, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah ease of access is a big part of the problem, but its also efficency of access. Like with non grocery goods it'd be better to go to best buy and pick up 3 things than to buy 3 things online from 3 different stores that gets peaced together and shipped to you.

So when you go to the store people will think about efficiency vs online they just buy what they want when they want it, so that has a big ding that would according to that show the good place, send us to the bad place. (and Gretta would agree hehe)

But also its not a net neutral unless the people stay home, and or are already driving a car that they wouldn't be if they didn't order fresh.

Like people in urban cities that don't have cars that order fresh? Well boom they just put themselves on the emissions map x2 because the driver was already on it.

Like yeah totally I agree there is a system that could exist that would be net neutral, but with the infrastructure that we have available right now it's better for consumers to go to the store fronts, i mean not during a pandemic, but when this is over and we can go back to normal life, that is.

For now stay home and order fresh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-28-2020, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

Also, its fun-ny that the modern forbiden fruit is fun-ions [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-28-2020, 01:18 PM
Planar Protector

gdi I re-read that and I got efficiency vs ease a little jumbled up, what I meant was efficiency is bad because even if you order everything at once, it still comes from multiple locations. So if you fix the ease of access issue, you still have the efficiency problem.

1 day out shopping within a 5 mile radius vs

fleet of 3 personal assistants shopping for you
traveling from out of town to get there
picking up items from multiple locations outside of your 5 mile radius
packaging each item individually
multiple drivers converging to leave package at your home
random thief steals your package
it explodes full of confetti cus you're a youtuber
confetti turns out to be acid
hours later thief climbs out window attacks family next door
family next door escapes and drives to hospital but gets in car crash
crash was with doctor who was on his way work with the idea to cure cancer
he ded now tho
good job, you killed the guy that was going to cure cancer cus you wanted new pair of beats by dre on amazon.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-28-2020, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

Let's not act like Amazon solves driving. The society we live in heavily incentivizes car ownership and penalizes non-drivers.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:27 PM
Sarnak

or you could just grow a garden. Hell, even a few planter buckets on your tiny apartment patio can produce more food than most ever believe.

We have two cheap buckets from Home Depot. One has two tomato plants, one jalapeno and one bell pepper plant. Other one has basil, rosemary, tarragon and dill. If you have a small patch of actual yard rip out some of the grass and start composting everything. It'll take a year to have really good soil but it's worth the bit of extra effort.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
or you could just grow a garden. Hell, even a few planter buckets on your tiny apartment patio can produce more food than most ever believe.

We have two cheap buckets from Home Depot. One has two tomato plants, one jalapeno and one bell pepper plant. Other one has basil, rosemary, tarragon and dill. If you have a small patch of actual yard rip out some of the grass and start composting everything. It'll take a year to have really good soil but it's worth the bit of extra effort.
I thought this too, and you're mostly right: my Basil, Rosemary, Thyme Parsley, and Mint plants are growing more herbs than I could ever use.

But here's the sad thing: all they ever do is smell nice, because I still wind up buying the store herbs. Do you how much effort it takes to cut the herbs, wash them, pull the leaves off, and then chop up or grind them? Way more than it takes to buy them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Loramin is lazy.

But I also have a tomato plant, two bell peppers, a jalapeno, green beans, zucchini, cucumbers, and blue berries, and it's definitely less effort to just grab them off the plant, so I heartily recommend everyone grow fruits and veggies ... just not herbs.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread