Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

Default Outward - A survival RPG

Hey folks! last week I discovered a new (to me) game called Outward! It came out in 2019 so its actually kinda new altogether.

It reminds me so much of EQ so I thought I'd make a post about it here incase any of you would like to try it out.

Its harsh like eq, with severe death penalties, the maps dont have markers, at night it's pitch black, and it doesn't tell you how to do anything. (Thank god for the internet though eh? The game has many loramins working hard on its wiki if you want a hardcore mmo pixel gains min max p99 experience.)

Check out this video, see if you'll like it and dont want to read my stupid reasons why I do (hint I think you will like it):

https://youtu.be/UvwIWOFRfG8

But here's my stupid reasons why I like it! The game is kind of like a few games in one.

1. (Its not an MMO but) It plays like an MMO and uses MMO/RPG style play control and combat skill & class systems. You can be rogues, shamans, necromancers, whatever you want by combining different types of magical skill tree's. Even a Cabal Hermit, I guess, whatever that is.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

2. Its a survival game, if you dont prepare for travel or the elements, you will die to them. Imagine trying to travel through the Karanas, to Freeport, and all while you're doing that if you dont stop and setup camp next to a campfire and cook up some dinner a couple of times along the way, you'll really start to notice it and maybe pass out, or get sick. If you're hunting in Everfrost? You'll quite literally freeze to death if you dont bring warm clothes or meditate next to a campfire.

3. It's an Open world RPG so while traveling you have creatures to watch out for not just the elements! You'll need to hide, avoid, consider and use all your class's skills and abilities you've trained traveling through the world when traveling and encountering magical beasts in the wild.

Check out the combat, its like, dark-souls meets ever-quest kinda? https://youtu.be/yF_CW5V4CIE

Im not going to lie, I think I really want to enjoy this game and for it to be the modern update to EQ that I really wish it was. So there are some flaws:

1. its small team and a very ambitious game, they hit it out of the park but it coudl always use more content
2. combat is fun, deep and awesome, but a little unbalanced and easily exploitable
3. the characters faces are worse than Luclin and there are no darkelves.

I had a great first weekend trying to do some MMO style exploiting, you know where you do the delivery quests that net the most EXP and loop some merchant rewards for the best items, etc, I mean that's what I love about MMO gaming so I was having a blast doing that. But throwing in all the survival stuff just got me so immersed in my adventure!

If you play, or end up playing post about it if you liked it! There is a new expansion coming out soon I think but I am not too sure, I'm still a noob. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Jibartik; 06-16-2020 at 06:20 PM..
Old 06-16-2020, 06:24 PM
Planar Protector

here is another review video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUnSJjnrcQs
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
here is another review video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUnSJjnrcQs
This is fantastic, such a better review than mine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

edit: ooh campfire trick to get in and out of complex dungeons, see, thats the type of silly crap I love about exploiting MMO's!

Last edited by Jibartik; 06-16-2020 at 06:50 PM..
Old 06-16-2020, 07:07 PM
Planar Protector

I posted a thread about this game a few months back.

in theory this game is great. the amount of 'twitch' it expects for the player for how well the game responds, horrible. i ended up rage quitting.

my two younger brothers still rave about it tho. overall I think its a great game if the combat got a touch more polished.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 06-16-2020, 07:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I posted a thread about this game a few months back.

in theory this game is great. the amount of 'twitch' it expects for the player for how well the game responds, horrible. i ended up rage quitting.

my two younger brothers still rave about it tho. overall I think its a great game if the combat got a touch more polished.
Good point, Im curious to see how I like the twitch aspect of combat. I like how much it feels like EQ melee combat, but a bit more physical... Like I think face tanking is the way to go and relying on stats for the tanky melee builds, but you can dodge and weave if you want, which adds some fun and lets you beat harder enemies I guess if you're very good.

It reminds me of playing melee PVP in EQ, but it definitely feels better actually hitting each other in outward than trying to just get your invisible hitboxes to in eq.. but that said, I wouldn't want that to be the core way to interact with melee PVE in EQ so I was wondering if it would get old.
Last edited by Jibartik; 06-16-2020 at 07:32 PM..
Old 06-16-2020, 07:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good point, Im curious to see how I like the twitch aspect of combat. I like how much it feels like EQ melee combat, but a bit more physical... Like I think face tanking is the way to go and relying on stats for the tanky melee builds, but you can dodge and weave if you want, which adds some fun and lets you beat harder enemies I guess if you're very good.

It reminds me of playing melee PVP in EQ, but it definitely feels better actually hitting each other in outward than trying to just get your invisible hitboxes to in eq.. but that said, I wouldn't want that to be the core way to interact with melee PVE in EQ so I was wondering if it would get old.
its honestly a great concept. it's just I died so many times because the game expected me to respond to something (that I did!) but the client or game was way too laggy to respond correctly. if you're going to expect the player to respond quickly youve gotta have the game respond as well. so many times I was waiting on the game to respond.

still a good game. im hoping they update the combat to be a bit more fluid and responsive. tbh its the closest thing to an EQ rpg ive played in a while. lots of good about the game if you can get over the clunky combat. I just couldnt get passed it.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its honestly a great concept. it's just I died so many times because the game expected me to respond to something (that I did!) but the client or game was way too laggy to respond correctly. if you're going to expect the player to respond quickly youve gotta have the game respond as well. so many times I was waiting on the game to respond.

still a good game. im hoping they update the combat to be a bit more fluid and responsive. tbh its the closest thing to an EQ rpg ive played in a while. lots of good about the game if you can get over the clunky combat. I just couldnt get passed it.
Im excite to see where it evolves with the new expansion, I'm going to try to log some hours in this game as much as I can to figure it out, I think I've got the hang of it, now I'm going to use my horror bow to exploit my way through the first tier dungeons that Im currently on lol

We should try to do online coop with the expac! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-16-2020, 08:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Im excite to see where it evolves with the new expansion, I'm going to try to log some hours in this game as much as I can to figure it out, I think I've got the hang of it, now I'm going to use my horror bow to exploit my way through the first tier dungeons that Im currently on lol

We should try to do online coop with the expac! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
im down to try it again when the expac drops. hit me up on PM and we can maybe arrange a time. i'll see if I can get my brothers to join up. whens the xpac?

Old 06-16-2020, 08:30 PM
Kobold

looks promising, but man the characters are
fugly
Old 06-16-2020, 08:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
looks promising, but man the characters are
fugly
yeah its not the greatest if you compare it to modern games. compared to EQ though everyones beautiful lol.

Closed Thread