Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 09:17 AM
Planar Protector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6YWChCcuzI ok you do the voice changer and do teeeheee (what is kinda scary is I know I could mimick her laughter, but I wont) while i rage and queue you with my get fucked line, which the female should say while the guy giggles like a deep baritone. I feel bad that is seems like those youtubers first exposer to online gaming was wow. I totally digress.

I think the game has a lot of potential. There is a tiny bit of wow going on there. And "achievment" quest. Do you have to maintain a balanced diet in order to stay healthy and not get fat and die? Can your teeth fall out so you have to boil soup for 3 days to get any nutrition at all??? I don't think so. You can poison yourself and make yourself sick though. That looks fun.

I have some high standards with survival games. I think it's definitely survival light. Monster heavy.

Also it looks like after you lose your house you can't sneak back in and re-steal your own goods back. That is kind of iffy for me. Can you kill the guard and get back in?

These are things I would like to find out. I'm not 100% sure if I can do 39.99 for it though.

It's kind of got a modded mincraft approach to food.

There's a few really golden minecraft mods that really enhance hunger, and give insanity, cold and heat effects, and exhaustion, make you suffocate if you start fires underground. They are all super fun and will kill you very quickly, but the world is alas, procedural gobblyguk unless you are an artist.

----

So far the big pros it seems are - easily accessible. Nice lovingly hand crafted graphics. A story is buried in there somewhere, I think. Fills a foid.

--- Cons

it's not really hard core enough, I want to get septic and die 5 days after getting scratched by a bandits rusty weapon, or get a flesh eating bacteria that starts devouring my arm if one of those cute chocobo things bite me.

The monsters seem kinda dumb. Some of the progression is in fact very linear almost.

Anyone here played oscuros oblivin overahaul with tons of mods? or original morowind with hunger, and starvation and stuff, those games where terrible, but they got some stuff right.

---- If it supports my modern graphics card or the vulkan API and doesn't shit a brick as soon as it's downloaded i'll call that a pro. The skybox is dreamy.

---------------------

I would say it is definately pretty polished. Doesn't look at all too buggy, no worse than wow at launch or like conan MMO was. And the developers certainly deserve a few bucks if you can shower them with money for pixels. Some A+ effort involved there making something cool. With heart.

----

I really want to make friends with the secret cave mushroom guys. We all know there's no allegory there.

OP I think, feel, and believe all at once, simultaneously you have some good, if not great taste in games. I'm very impressed with this one so far. Despite it's obvious shortcomings.

39.99 + 19.99 for the expansion. That is a total of 59.98, half a years subscription to live wow or EQ. ish. Seems like a decent deal. Especially if you like the game.

The game is designed with re-playablity in mind, the legacy system is neat, and it's highly reminicent of ascherons's call, for that alone it kind of deserves notice also.

*probably chomps outwards*
Last edited by magnetaress; 06-17-2020 at 09:47 AM..
Old 06-17-2020, 09:38 AM
Banned

1. Lack of streamlined skill trees.
2. Lack of customization, namely good John Wick skins.
3. Lack of e-sports pro league.
4. Lack of in game stores.
5. Lack of ability to buy XP boosters.
6. Lack of resemblance to Minecraft or Overwatch.
7. Lack of standard survival crafting.
8. Lack of zombies.
9. Lack of big explosions and hot console action.
10. Lack of GTA style mechanics.
11. Lack of my keyboard and mouse vibrating when I am hit.

I should have liked this game but I refunded it before the 2 hour mark. I ran around, killed a couple bandits for some of that sweet dark souls-like combat action.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

I said survival lite so darksouls like, lol. The combat did look very easy. (sorry stuttering here i have not really slepped in awhile)

Can we jump or swim?
No.

and no to little information on which version of unity or whatever graphics API it uses. meh. I want to like it. But it is a real tough call

I mean I guess it's better than morrowind.

They claim you can get 40-80 hrs out of it.

And no, you can't kill all npcs.

Gheeyom [developer] Feb 4, 2019 @ 11:51am
First person view will not be an option in Outward.
Last edited by magnetaress; 06-17-2020 at 10:02 AM..
Old 06-17-2020, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean I guess it's better than morrowind.
I mainly wanted to see a better story. Like if two guys meet a goblin and they drink his potion, yea! you know, they grow boobs and their wee-wee's fall off. Depth and intrigue. A love story of vulnerability, betrayal and insanity fit for a forum squabble. Later they can add a DLC quest to get revenge on the dwarves who refused to call them Ma'am.

I ain't a callin ye a Ma'am, bub!

but really though, you could fly in Morrowind. I am no fan of Todd but at least that was a fantasy game with wizard hats.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mainly wanted to see a better story. Like if two guys meet a goblin and they drink his potion, yea! you know, they grow boobs and their wee-wee's fall off. Depth and intrigue. A love story of vulnerability, betrayal and insanity fit for a forum squabble. Later they can add a DLC quest to get revenge on the dwarves who refused to call them Ma'am.

I ain't a callin ye a Ma'am, bub!

but really though, you could fly in Morrowind. I am no fan of Todd but at least that was a fantasy game with wizard hats.
I think I've seen this before already with a better vid, source, butt reposting: Is this the game you are looking for?
Old 06-17-2020, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

So far I don't see much compitition in Outwards 'niche' asside from kinda Everquest, Skyrim, WoW. And Skyrim isn't competition. Anymore.

I did play elderscrolls online for a bit but it was a bit to much 'on the rails' for me like wow is in kinda stifling the way I like to randomly explore where I shouldn't. Or just kick over rocks in the forests. (yes I know about IRL snakes)

Dwarf fortress is cool but suffers from procedural generation and repetition where there could be a few hand crafted worlds to plug dwarf fortress rules into )

Gothic Three was terrible, and Two Worlds scared me. Dues Ex:Human Revolution was good, I don't feel like playing its sequal though, the dark themes are kind of stifling.

Quake 3 had awesome environments to explore, and learning all the trick jumps and power ups was kinda fun to.
Last edited by magnetaress; 06-17-2020 at 01:55 PM..
Old 06-17-2020, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think I've seen this before already with a better vid, source, butt reposting: Is this the game you are looking for?
Is it the one you are looking for because I was co-playing as you. Since you post it, must be.

No, I don't personally like any of that stuff.

Quote:
So far I don't see much compitition in Outwards 'niche' asside from kinda Everquest, Skyrim, WoW. And Skyrim isn't competition. Anymore.

I did play elderscrolls online for a bit but it was a bit to much 'on the rails' for me like wow is in kinda stifling the way I like to randomly explore where I shouldn't. Or just kick over rocks in the forests. (yes I know about IRL snakes)

Dwarf fortress is cool but suffers from procedural generation and repetition where there could be a few hand crafted worlds to plug dwarf fortress rules into )
2 of those are MMORPGs and the other is a let-me-down rpg that has been out for 8 years with no sequel as studios milk things now, inspired by MMORPGs. Failure to recognize them as their own thing and only see the $$$, they are rewarded as players on console dig that. PC players now as well since they are the same now.

No on ESO, the genre is a joke these days aimed at a different audience. There are no games aimed at 30 somethings like there was when I was 18, and that audience had different tastes than these guys.

Never played DF nor do I care to.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is it the one you are looking for because I was co-playing as you. Since you post it, must be.

No, I don't personally like any of that stuff.
I was kinda confused by what you were doing, I think you did a fair job mocking me at my finest, but it was kind of extreme and I missed it. In the past I sorta enjoyed quick romps around stuff like team fortress which the dwarf in space game is kind of a rip off of. Not what I am looking for. The potty humar is funny for 30 secs or so every 5 minutes but I can't watch those videos really.

Quote:
2 of those are MMORPGs and the other is a let-me-down rpg that has been out for 8 years with no sequel as studios milk things now, inspired by MMORPGs. Failure to recognize them as their own thing and only see the $$$, they are rewarded as players on console dig that. PC players now as well since they are the same now.

No on ESO, the genre is a joke these days aimed at a different audience. There are no games aimed at 30 somethings like there was when I was 18, and that audience had different tastes than these guys.
Yeah I absolutely agree. I don't think Outwards or even new games coming out in the next 15 years at least will carry any kind of real deep connection with adults or mature themes that haven't been watered down to be PG or PG13 or some kind of polotik (skyrim nords vs imperials) with some extra ketchup. I wonder if there's some government influence there. A lot of themes are 'too dark to explore' (not the crazy stuff you were mocking me about earlier). There's still the survival horror genre, but that for me is kind of almost the opposite direction to far. Like Zombies. Everywhere. For almost no reason. And terrible AI on purpose so people dont get fustrated and quit.

Quote:
Never played DF nor do I care to.
I don't blame you it burns my eyes out, even with tile sets, I almost prefer without, still you have to become an autistic computer and then do a fair bit of imagination and writing to really get into it, not saying you can't but it requires an immense effort to enjoy rather than be an academic dive into an absolute marvel of engineering and options and meta-gaming -emergent- quirks.

Even Skyrim kind of ruined ES and Vampires for me. It's more of an arcade game with a bit of story and a few unique art assets, the dungeons require an overmind, mazelike kind of perception to really appreciate, the wall textures are the same everywhere. And to find the truly unique and special stuff requires 80+ hrs of digging around in the dark boring sameness of a very quick production cycle designed to create $$$, it's definately a kids game in many regards.

I once drew back a 60lb composite bow string, so I know what I am missing if I run around chasing deer in skyrim to make leather armor.

-----

Yep, I know dark souls. Dark souls hard, is there arts and crafts in dark souls even sorta kinda a little bit?

----------

I should probably pick up a good book instead or start coloring in this color in the lines thing for mindfulness etc. I'm not going to dig at the people who really get a lot out of these coloring books.

----

I read Contact by Carl Sagan, and that was a pure trip of delicious golden age thought programming. Felt amazing. I almost converted completely.

----

eq in some ways is just a digital form of morphine for me, perhaps it's better to stick with it rather than look for another fix, or get some perspective. U know how I feel about morphine et al tho. In some cases it's kind of a necessary evil.

See I didn't mean to have an existential crisis, I should give outwards a try and just report back.
Last edited by magnetaress; 06-17-2020 at 02:13 PM..
Old 06-19-2020, 12:47 AM
Planar Protector

So, I'm like 5 mins into the tutorial and I think this game is great. I'm impressed with what they did with the unity engine (which I actually played around with trying to create something horribly basic), so I kinda grep how hard that is.

It's no dark souls. There are a few nuisances like when I was trying to dodge with the backpack the game said I was kinda dumb with an iconic emote.

It was clearly designed by someone who's familiar with how people set up MMO controls.

It's definitely reminiscent of Gothic as far as 'melee'.

But like, it's polished enough to consider pretty stable and pretty looking. I mustly want to run around and look at flowers in it, hopefully I can pick some, we'll see [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Going to probably not return it! <3

Cecily if you have a beast of a computer it is pretty and atmospheric, I don't know what it looks like on a 'potato'.

I'll get over not having first person, I can still look up at the sky and ceilings.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:53 AM
Planar Protector

Think i'll purchase this in the morning and give it a whirl. Seems kind of shitty but those are usually the games I get drawn in to
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Closed Thread