Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela7460 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it seems to go unpunished.
This is a mistaken perception. People absolutely get banned for 2-boxing, and there have been many stories (both from reporters and from butt-hurt boxers) on this forum proving as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela7460 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And then the poster gets shit from everyone about snitching or what ever.
What's the deal?
The deal is that you're confusing a few prolific posters (maybe in the forum in general, but I'm guessing largely from RnF) for the larger P99 community. We have a lot of trolls here in the forum (especially in RnF), and they pick and prod and attack anyone and everyone they possibly can. Your mistake is thinking that they are representative of the larger community, when they're literally just a handful or two of sad pathetic people who spend half their lives on this forum.

(FWIW, I'm the kind of sad and pathetic person who only spends like 1/5 of my life on this forum, so I get to feel superior by comparison [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

Quote:
It upsets me because I'm trying to play by the rules while others don't. And seeing that its not being punished..... well if you can't beat them might as well bitch about it. hehe
I get this, I really do. As someone with RSI issues I was very upset by the fact that not only would some bards use programmable keyboards to play the game, but there was actually a guide in the wiki encouraging them to do it, despite the server rules against macros. I fought with the author of that guide (I'd edit his guide to add a warning before the parts about macros, he'd angrily change it back, etc.)

Finally after years of this I finally managed to beg a GM to add a line to the rules to clarify that macros are not allowed even if they come from programming on your joystick or keyboard: one key/button press can only perform one keypress in-game, the same as any non-programmable keyboard. Once that was added I triumphantly removed the offending section from the guide, and now new bards are no longer encouraged to break the rules (in a way that I so wish that I could, because it would make my wrists hurt less). Dreams do come true.

Long story short, things take time here, but that doesn't mean they're not getting better. Maybe some actual 2-boxers get away with it sometimes, and maybe some people that look like 2-boxers really aren't, and they're not getting away with anything. But either way, the staff does still care about enforcing the rules, they do work to get rid of 2-boxers, and if you petition an actual 2-boxer (someone who can't pass the GM's keyboard test) while a GM is on they will be removed.

In other words, have faith: not in some sort of religious "just trust" way, but because the staff has demonstrated over the decade or so that this project has gone on that they deserve our faith on issues like this.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Banned

Thats why 6 boxing is better.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:20 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreenk317 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Boxing is tricky. I myself have been accused of boxing many many times. Yet have never done it on p99. But it happens, because, as others have pointed out. There are many ways in which a character can be useful, and look like it's being boxed. Especially when voice chat is involved. It is really easy for me to get my buddy that works from home to log on my druid or shaman while I run around killing things on a different character. Asking him in voice for buff refreshes, as he does his work in the other monitor. Does this look like boxing? You bet your ass. Is it? Not according to the rules. It's very hard to tell if someone is boxing sometimes. And it's very easy to assume that someone is, even when they arent.

Like others have said, if you really think someone is boxing, file a petition in game and let the GM's do there thing. I've taken the boxing test, I highly doubt a boxer can pass it.
Sammmmeeee. I have a friend in China that will log on and buff me with a shaman while he plays daoc in the middle of the night. Dude always comes around Paineel being salty he doesnt have my spot and accusing me of boxing. Never has amounted to anything!
Old 01-23-2019, 04:03 PM
Banned

This thread makes me paranoid whenever I sit in CB buffing people and playing on my 3ds all day long

fuck what if i get banned playing etrian odyssey nexus WHILE playing p99?
Old 01-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Sarnak

Red wouldn't have raids without people 6 boxing.

Hope this info helps you.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jauna [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This thread makes me paranoid whenever I sit in CB buffing people and playing on my 3ds all day long

fuck what if i get banned playing etrian odyssey nexus WHILE playing p99?
You don't have to worry, because an accusation alone doesn't get you banned. As I understand it (having never gone through this myself) the basic process is:
  1. one player reports another player for perceived boxing
  2. a GM shows up, in GM-stealth mode, and observes for a bit
  3. if the GM thinks it looks fishy too, they contact the two characters involved and asks them to perform a keyboard test (eg. both of you spin in clockwise circles, ok now both switch to counter clockewise) that only two people could perform
  4. ONLY if that test fails do you get banned

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:37 PM
Fire Giant

Is two boxing forum accounts allowed?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:37 PM
Fire Giant

Maybe they're not 2 boxing? I've PL'd and been PL'd by friends while one of us is semi-AFK on a high level druid. Perfect way to help your friends out when you can't really play, but can pop in every 15 or 20 mins to refresh buffs. It's not like the GMs are going to contact you and let you know they investigated your report and found they weren't 2 boxing.

I don't mind people snitching on 2boxers, because they are breaking the rules... But bitching about it when your snitching doesn't result in any action is weak.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboboo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is two boxing forum accounts allowed?
That reminds me, I miss Lhancelot (and/or SiouxNation).

Old 01-23-2019, 08:06 PM
Fire Giant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfvADznhTQA
Closed Thread