Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 07:18 PM
Planar Protector

Default Shaman Slowing

So I'll admit it was years down the road for me before I learned that an Enchanters lvl 4 mez should generally be used over the higher lvl mezzes. I was curious if it's the same for shamans slow spells? Is there a low lvl slow that is generally viewed as the "main" slow to use? Or is the best slow for the lvl always the one you want?

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 11-30-2018, 07:23 PM
Planar Protector

Use the best slow that doesn't run you out of mana. That'll be the top slow against anything significant. In come cases that may be no slow at all, in the case of groups rapidly bringing in large numbers of weak opponents.

Danth
Old 11-30-2018, 07:23 PM
Sarnak

Nah they want that 75% slow

They should get it around lvl 51 or so

Enchanters use the lvl 4 mez because all the mez have the same -resist check and the same effect. But you don't really need more than 4 ticks to kill 1 add in most groups, so lvl 4 mez is the best mez most of the time
Old 11-30-2018, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

I believe the consensus is that you always want the best one, until you get Turgur's Insects. For many fights the 75% of Turgur's, at a cost of 250, isn't worth the extra 75 mana for 5% more slow compared to Togor's (70% slow for 175 mana).

Personally I just use Turgur's for everything though. We're Shaman, we have Cannibalize and (at 60) Torpor: we have mana to burn

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

Leveling I think you will have to make judgement calls if you are grouped. some groups dps is so high slowing is just not worth it bc mob will be half dead by the time you spend a bunch of mana to slow it. Soloing you are likely root rotting until 60 so obviously don’t waste mana slowing.

I have a 60 shaman. I mostly solo but for me it’s not close, I use turgurs all of the time. It lasts twice as long and is a better slow and most of my solo fights at lvl 60 are well over 3 min.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:10 PM
Fire Giant

normal grouping I just stick to torgor's. Anything that I know will be a longer fight or when I'm soloing/raiding, it's Turgur's.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:00 PM
Planar Protector

Nobody knows which one you're casting and many don't bother to ask - use one which allows your mana pool to stay fairly steady as mentioned.

For ages I didn't have tepid deeds on my enchanter. If the clerics I grouped with noticed they never said anything about it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-30-2018, 10:10 PM
Planar Protector

More than one shaman are called shamen
Old 11-30-2018, 10:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I'll admit it was years down the road for me before I learned that an Enchanters lvl 4 mez should generally be used over the higher lvl mezzes. I was curious if it's the same for shamans slow spells? Is there a low lvl slow that is generally viewed as the "main" slow to use? Or is the best slow for the lvl always the one you want?
The L4 mez is good for recharming, because you don't want your charmed pet out of action for a minute or more. Enchanters are generally short on spell slots, so some figure that they can just use L4 for regular crowd control too. In my humble opinion this is not a great idea; it's hard to lock down multiple/resistant mobs with a 24 second mez. But to each their own.

Back of the envelope math for shamans: Turgur's is 250 mana, and is 17% better than Togor's (ignore Loramin, who is merrily continuing his quest to be wrong about literally everything) which is 175 mana. 75 mana could heal roughly 150 HP. So Turgur's starts to win at about 900 HP of damage taken. If we guesstimate the average L50 NPC at 50 dps, that means fights of 45 seconds or more, which is pretty typical in your 50s. Less than that would mean a very good group.

Another way of looking at it: Turgur's is 17% better than Togor's, but requires 43% more mana. So if you don't have enough mana to hit everything with Turgur's, switching to Togor's is a win.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggens [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
More than one shaman are called shamen
Shaman, Shaman, Shamen
Person, Persons, People