Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 08-12-2022, 11:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 has never changed.
We've gone from TMO monopolizing all significant content, to multiple top-end competitors on each server plus a large number of lower-tier raiding guilds, so ... I beg to differ.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:31 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We've gone from TMO monopolizing all significant content, to multiple top-end competitors on each server plus a large number of lower-tier raiding guilds, so ... I beg to differ.
Ya I think it's nice way it is now. Plenty of competition on both servers just the same casual guilds whining like usual cause they want more free stuff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Riot has definitely made a come back and is whooping our butts lately, keeps things interesting /nod
Old 08-12-2022, 12:59 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-12-2022, 01:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lmao are you ok over there? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-12-2022, 02:15 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Old 08-12-2022, 06:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allishia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya I think it's nice way it is now. Plenty of competition on both servers just the same casual guilds whining like usual cause they want more free stuff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Riot has definitely made a come back and is whooping our butts lately, keeps things interesting /nod
Alli, how have you not noticed you are the only sane person in the asylum yet? Your stalwart positivity is starting to worry me. Have you ever said anything mean about anyone? Have you ever burned any bridges? If you learned anything from me, I want it to be this:

It's never too late to start!
Old 08-12-2022, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Alli, how have you not noticed you are the only sane person in the asylum yet? Your stalwart positivity is starting to worry me. Have you ever said anything mean about anyone? Have you ever burned any bridges? If you learned anything from me, I want it to be this:

It's never too late to start!
She's trained me in the hole, I need justice for the travesty.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

Trained me in the hole.
Fucking gold.
Old 08-13-2022, 02:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are reaching way too far back in time. Do most people that raid have memories of TMO?

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 08-13-2022, 07:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If only it were so simple.

A big part of the reason IP bans aren't used that often these days is that they're not particularly effective. Many users don't permanently have the same IP. A lot of regular ISPs assign IPs as-needed and they do change periodically. Second, such bans are very easily circumvented via means such as VPN. P1999 can't ban based on things like real name or credit card info because as a free service it doesn't collect such information. It's hard to get rid of someone who doesn't want to be got rid of, hence why P1999 had to resort to some in-game measures like level 5 requirements for many zones--in the past they had trouble with certain individuals making new level 1 accounts over and over and causing trouble. The level 5 cap was largely enough to defeat even those individuals' patience.

There ARE ways around this. It requires work that the P1999 staff hasn't had the time or inclination to put forth and which are no longer realistically viable for existing P1999 servers because the proverbial horse is already out of the barn. For example, some emulators use login software of their own creation that ties accounts to specific devices--lose your account, can't just create a new one. Depending on the quality of said login program, virtual machines may or may not be able t get around it. It also has side effects such as making account sharing problematic, again that horse is long since out of the barn. This type of measure would be most appropriate for a fresh server, if anyone were inclined to implement it.

Account bans are of course plenty effective and all but the worst of the trolls and troublemakers don't usually want to have to keep starting over. The existing P1999 rules already provide for account bans so at that point you're arguing with the staff about their own rule enforcement. My experience in thirty-odd years of using the 'net is that arguing with site admins is seldom a productive pursuit.

Danth
There are ways. It doesn't take a whole lot of information to identify someone. I read somewhere it's like 32-33 bits of information can single you out of every other person on the planet. There's gotta be 33 bits of uniqueness from one EverQuest file folder to the next except for in the cases of fresh installs. The second someone binds their hotkeys a certain way or makes a certain macro or arranges their UI to their personal liking, they've ID'd themselves. If there are certain times of day they log in or other habits that can be gleaned from game logs, that's pretty telling too.