Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 02:30 PM
Banned

Default What made y'all's server unique?

On Tunare the auction zone was GFAY. Don't ask me why because I don't know. It just was and I never really questioned it before. I didn't know this was weird until I played on P99. I was really confused by how dead GFAY was the first time I went there on P99 and just assumed there must be less than 20 people playing the game since I was a gnome and hadn't seen many players in Steamfont either.

Raiding Guilds weren't really a thing for most of Tunare's history. I know someone will dispute this, but anyone who really played on Tunare and is honest will tell you that you did not need to be in a guild to raid. I got full Skyshrine and my Epic while guildless during a time period where the items were still BIS (although at that time people considered Kael to be better than SS).

Tunare was one of the only servers where players had full Lustrous Russet. They didn't actually loot these items. Kaylum, for instance, was "gifted" full Lustrous Russet, along with other items, for "helping" GMs.... I later found out that he was in fact a GM himself, and likely gifted himself the items. He later went on to be the first player to acquire a Kunark epic... coincidence? Maybe. However, unlikely.

All of those classic EverQuest songs that were trending 20 years ago? They were recorded by a guy on Tunare known as Richardo Xavier.

Tunare also had the first and only Epic item. It was before the other epics were added to the game. The player's name was "Musk." He later went on to become a successful billionaire after starting a company known as Paypal, and later Tesla.

I feel like I'm forgetting something obvious too.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

Test server had 150 players on it and we were all super special.

Bertox had a guild of only necromancers. And was one of the more overpopulated servers.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Test server had 150 players on it and we were all super special.

Bertox had a guild of only necromancers. And was one of the more overpopulated servers.
TBH I remember logging on to Test server as a child (curiosity and what not), and being baffled that there were a lot of high level players who played there full time. They were super friendly too. Now that I'm older I wonder if they were GMs or something and wanted to avoid playing on a normal server?
Old 04-08-2021, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

Hey I played on Tunare and I loved GFay auctions.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never know when you are trolling, fam. I grouped with a character named Jibartik in the Hole a couple of nights ago. He didn't have a key so someone had to let him in, lol.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And yeah, I actually liked GFAY as an auction zone more. Could teleport and make deals at Wizard rings, get wolf form to access bank etc. Having to run from the Tunnel to Neriak or NFP is a pain in the ass when you are encumbered.

Also just a more exciting zone with Crushbone, Mistmoore, Unrest etc. nearby.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TBH I remember logging on to Test server as a child (curiosity and what not), and being baffled that there were a lot of high level players who played there full time. They were super friendly too. Now that I'm older I wonder if they were GMs or something and wanted to avoid playing on a normal server?
A lot were, as well as some devs. But most ppl were just internet weirdos. We never raided current content anyway. The server was basically just there to see if patches would run for a week or unravel the database.

One time we had a database error and they needed to wipe and rollback the server real far. Most of the time the worst rollback was like 5 days occasionally. Or a few hrs.

Later on they had testbuff, which was fun for kids like me.

Then eventually they did testcopy to bring over big raiding guilds, which eventually killed the community, but early on when it was just occasional around GoD we got some nice players out of it and the server was quite fun!
Old 04-08-2021, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot were, as well as some devs. But most ppl were just internet weirdos. We never raided current content anyway. The server was basically just there to see if patches would run for a week or unravel the database.

One time we had a database error and they needed to wipe and rollback the server real far. Most of the time the worst rollback was like 5 days occasionally. Or a few hrs.

Later on they had testbuff, which was fun for kids like me.

Then eventually they did testcopy to bring over big raiding guilds, which eventually killed the community, but early on when it was just occasional around GoD we got some nice players out of it and the server was quite fun!
I don't think most people raided current content even on live servers, fam. That's one thing about EQ, it was so hard that most of my friends weren't even level 50 before Velious came out, and I remember Planar gear still being considered good even after Velious dropped.

Players didn't digest content fast back then. You see the same thing happen with WoW Classic and TBC when it came out. The average player never completed the end-game content before the next expac came out, so the wait for the next expac didn't feel bad like it does now, where players on retail WoW are expected to farm the same content they already beat for 2 years before the next expac drops.

And yeah, the wipe is what turned me off on Test. I actually thought very seriously about playing there because of how charitable the players were until I found out people lost entire characters and stuff like that.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

Why do you make so many threads
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why do you make so many threads
Without me and Magentaress this forum would be dead, fam.

The question is, why aint we making more threads?
Closed Thread