Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-04-2022, 07:14 PM
Large Bat

Exclamation Wine on linux mint broken/bugged

I've been trying to use wine to run p99, and I've come into two major technical issues, the games animations are completely broken (as in they are just static models moving around in-game) and if there is animation it's only the first few frames.
The second issue is i cannot scroll the mouse past a certain point (as in when i hold right click to move the camera, it stops as if the resolution is smaller than it actually is)
For context i am running the latest version of wine on the latest Linux mint version. here are some logs i got that might help diagnose the issue.

Code:
0088:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0088:fixme:d3d:wined3d_check_device_format_conversion output 0x9efa08, device_type WINED3D_DEVICE_TYPE_HAL, src_format WINED3DFMT_B8G8R8X8_UNORM, dst_format WINED3DFMT_B8G8R8X8_UNORM stub!
0088:fixme:d3d:wined3d_check_device_format_conversion output 0x9efa08, device_type WINED3D_DEVICE_TYPE_HAL, src_format WINED3DFMT_B5G6R5_UNORM, dst_format WINED3DFMT_B5G6R5_UNORM stub!
0124:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (0x3e6b0, 0): stub
0124:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0000000000020032, 000000000003E6B0): stub
0088:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (0x9fef38, 1): stub
0088:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0003004C, 009FEF38): stub
0088:fixme:d3d:wined3d_swapchain_set_gamma_ramp Ignoring flags 0x1.
[ERROR]   - Mouse Wheel supported = TRUE

013c:fixme:d3d:state_linepattern_w Setting line patterns is not supported in OpenGL core contexts.
0088:fixme:font:freetype_set_outline_text_metrics failed to read full_nameW for font L"Ani"!
0088:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work.
0088:fixme:d3d:wined3d_query_gl_create Unhandled query type 0x4.
0088:fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x40.
^C0174:fixme:console:default_ctrl_handler Terminating process 84 on event 0
Killed
Old 08-22-2022, 06:25 AM
Large Bat

bumping this thread as i want to play but am unable. please help.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:56 AM
Planar Protector

Not sure what to suggest, as I'm on Mint (MATE) and it just works. Maybe play with the os options in winetricks?
Old 08-22-2022, 02:06 PM
Kobold

I have no idea what I'm talking about. Start here:
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=30705

As for the mouse issue, there is something about locking the FPS to 60. I eventually just accepted I had to play in windowed mode, and set the resolution to different values until I got something that worked for me. I have no idea how to actually fix it to play fullscreen.

Here is some of the research from the mouse troubleshooting I did:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=383287
Last edited by SenoraRaton; 08-22-2022 at 02:13 PM..
Old 08-22-2022, 02:17 PM
Planar Protector

For that first issue, did you try doing wine -force-d3d9 ... as they suggested? Although again, personally, I don't need that: I can just do "wine eqgame.exe patchme".

As for the mouse thing, I don't mess with full screen. If you just set your resolution to be your screen size, minus a little vertical space for your menu bar, you get the best of both worlds: a full-sized screen, but the ability to ALT + TAB or click out whenever you want.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:39 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For that first issue, did you try doing wine -force-d3d9 ... as they suggested? Although again, personally, I don't need that: I can just do "wine eqgame.exe patchme".

As for the mouse thing, I don't mess with full screen. If you just set your resolution to be your screen size, minus a little vertical space for your menu bar, you get the best of both worlds: a full-sized screen, but the ability to ALT + TAB or click out whenever you want.
Set eqgame.exe to windows XP initially. but no success.
forcing the dx9 argument with my launching .bat file (yes i use the batch on linux, i dunno enough about .sh files to get one properly working so bear with me) didn't fix the problem either. best way to describe the issue in detail more is that animations do not loop. they kind of just freeze (so when you're running around you kind of just slide.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:46 AM
Large Bat

BTW i can export logs, wine versions and neofetch if that helps.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

Are you using the latest Nvidia drivers, or the open source ones?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:47 PM
Large Rat

I've seen this issue before but I can't recall the exact fix. That said, I did recently re-do my setup on Debian and its working fine.

Hopefully we can get you going with some more information. Can you post some of the following stuff?

Output of command "lspci -nnk"
Wine version
What dll overrides are configured, if any (this is in the winecfg menu)
In a terminal, cd to your P99 game folder, and truncate the dbg.txt file (cat /dev/null > Logs/dbg.txt), do a fresh start of P99 and load all the way into the world. Logout and post that file
Old 08-29-2022, 04:32 AM
Large Bat

using the latest AMD drivers. i don't use nvidia.