Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 08-13-2022, 03:44 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are ways. It doesn't take a whole lot of information to identify someone. I read somewhere it's like 32-33 bits of information can single you out of every other person on the planet. There's gotta be 33 bits of uniqueness from one EverQuest file folder to the next except for in the cases of fresh installs. The second someone binds their hotkeys a certain way or makes a certain macro or arranges their UI to their personal liking, they've ID'd themselves. If there are certain times of day they log in or other habits that can be gleaned from game logs, that's pretty telling too.
for real. between this, biometrics, cctv and 5g it should be no problem. also if theyve had the jab you could just use the RFID code they give off now.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapeape [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
for real. between this, biometrics, cctv and 5g it should be no problem. also if theyve had the jab you could just use the RFID code they give off now.
I know, right? This day and age, tinfoil is no longer enough.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mass banning bot accounts would collapse the house of cards. Takes about 50 bot accounts/character to be competitive these days (mages, clerics, rogues). Those accounts are the 'power base' of those that lead on P99

Staff could also enforce no account sharing more strictly. Though that would change the raid meta a lot

You'd be paying for a box and sub on all these bots on live

Here you can go crazy, this is not the classic experience imo
Old 08-18-2022, 02:48 PM
Fire Giant

If you want classic, get a lobotomy.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are reaching way too far back in time. Do most people that raid have memories of TMO?
I remember them giving up on blue and trying to play on red.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:06 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are ways. It doesn't take a whole lot of information to identify someone. I read somewhere it's like 32-33 bits of information can single you out of every other person on the planet. There's gotta be 33 bits of uniqueness from one EverQuest file folder to the next except for in the cases of fresh installs. The second someone binds their hotkeys a certain way or makes a certain macro or arranges their UI to their personal liking, they've ID'd themselves. If there are certain times of day they log in or other habits that can be gleaned from game logs, that's pretty telling too.
32 bits ain’t a whole lot of information, but it is enough to make an IPv4 address. That alone means nothing, it’s all the extra data (more bits) correlated that starts to snitch on you.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Starman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Instancing or enforced rotations would fix all of P99s problems without needing bans.
so would full time jobs or girlfriends
Old 08-18-2022, 09:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCtastic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
32 bits ain’t a whole lot of information, but it is enough to make an IPv4 address. That alone means nothing, it’s all the extra data (more bits) correlated that starts to snitch on you.
You are correct. 32 bits of unique data to be more precise. There's way more than that in a person's gameplay patterns, nevermind UI configurations, key bindings and macros. A clean install on a fresh IP address and new account is the only way to log on truly anonymously, but staying anonymous would be impossible given entropy and human nature. Hell, RnF detectives usually have little trouble identifying authors of anon posts on these forums when they put their minds to it.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rager and Quitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know what modus operandi is in place that allows horrible people to stick around, but I think it's time to clean house. If the GMs implemented a new policy that anyone who regularly abuses the system, or is incredibly detrimental to the server gets an IP ban, no questions asked, no appeal, we could forgive all.

The Detoxx's and his ilk of the server should be cut out like the skin cancer they are. Maybe some secretly monitored levels of donations act like the old Catholic indulgences? I can't see what else would motivate the GMs to grind their souls away babysitting 30- or 40-year-old man-children.
I bet Rogean is reading this right now going "Ya know... Rager and Quitter is right we really need to change how we've managed this server for the last decade+"

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-19-2022, 10:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I bet Rogean is reading this right now going "Ya know... Rager and Quitter is right we really need to change how we've managed this server for the last decade+"

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I saw somewhere calling his work gets things done quick maybe try that