Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Sarnak

Default Melee Damage Information

In the Project 1999 Player FAQ there is mention about weapon damage and there is a link provided with some really good information.

Basically it explains that weapon damage can be figured by using this formula:

Average_Slash = (2 * Weapon_Base) + Bonus_Modifier + STR Modifier(NOTE: Bonus damage and STR modify damage after level 28, or at least bonus damage does.(still not sure about STR))

So to show the resulting damage let's make an example:

Level 1 rogue with a Polished Steel Dirk(8/23)would hit for 16 damage max with this weapon. This is because the weapons damage is 8 and we multiply it by 2. I receive no bonus modifier at level 1.. or so it seems. And thats what this thread is for. Well, 2 questions.

First of all my rogue(like I just mentioned) does 16 damage per hit(still at level 10)... And he has 102 STR unbuffed. According to the first part of the formula for figuring damage you multiply your weapons damage by 2 and then add the bonus damage. Multiplying my dagger's damage by two = 16. So I can assume there is no damage modifier and ALSO, STR is no contributing to my damage at all. So:

1) Does STR contribute to your melee damage? If so, how much STR does it take to see an increase in damage. Does it just start to affect damage at higher levels? If STR does not affect damage, than why do people play Barbarian Rogues, other than pure race preference. Is there is reason to play one over halfling, if STR does not effect damage. >>ANSWERED<< STR will affect your damage with melee weapons after level 28(or that what has been said here so far). STR also increases your ATK. ATK will help you to hit for the higher end of whatever your current weapon cap is, more often(so less hit for 1 damage! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

2) Does anyone know or have a link to something showing the class bonus damage modifiers?

I do not claim that any of the formula I posted is accurate, or that any of this information(other than info regarding my own rogue) is true. That is why I'm coming here to ask.

A few more things I'd like to know about are:

It seems when I'm really buffed(str buffs and such) at low level, I seem to hit for the max amount of damage that I can with my current weapon more often. Does having higher STR increase the chance of hitting your max damage? >>ANSWERED<< Like mentioned above. Having higher STR increases ATK which helps you to hit for your current max damage more often.

And how does weapons and melee skills work? Do skills have a max amount of damage they can do when maxed out at a certain level? And do weapons add to that damage or no?
>>PARTIALLY ANSWERED(STILL NEED MORE INFO)<< A weapon will affect how much damage a skill does.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Tappin; 10-27-2010 at 02:57 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Aviak

Don't forget about the damage cap, though obviously it isn't really relevant to the issue we're discussing.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Developer

In the classic sense.

Parse your combat. And figure out what works.

Haynar
Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In the classic sense.

Haynar
Well, what exactly would parsing show, that I don't already know? If I had a high level melee toon to do some more testing, perhaps. But given my current situation, what would parsing show me?

As I explained already... 16 damage is the max damage I can do with this weapon with no other contributions from stats or class bonus damage modifier. And the max I do at level 11 is 16 damage with auto swings. That makes it clear that at my current level I receive no class bonus damage and I also receive no str bonus damage(if that is, in fact, how it works)... I'm just looking for some clarification! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Fire Giant

STR makes you hit for max damage more often.

here is an interested thread that goes into a lot of detail

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/po...opic_id=161556
Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
STR makes you hit for max damage more often.

here is an interested thread that goes into a lot of detail

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/po...opic_id=161556
You sir, have answered a question! Thank you! If that is the case, than you've answered more than 1, actually. That explains why barbs are rogues also [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]! Thanks!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In the classic sense.

Haynar
Security through obscurity, NEVER GETS OLD
Old 10-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zithax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Security through obscurity, NEVER GETS OLD
Nope. Means more than we can change it and tweak it, and don't have to tell everytime we make adjustments. We try to make it more like live. But sometimes it is not as simple as it seems.

I still want to work on adding in the damage * 2 spike in melee output. And the damage bonus tables above 50 need adjusted on a class by class basis, to make sure the scaling is correct.

Many things are a work in progress, without simple solutions.

Haynar
Old 10-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Sarnak

Haynar,

How is it SUPPOSED to work? I understand tweaks are always being made, but what was the system in classic?
Old 10-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Fire Giant

Damage cap. Level a toon past 20.
Closed Thread