Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 04:06 PM
Fire Giant

Fashion > fsi
Old 07-11-2018, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not to be contrary, but is that actually true? My subjective sense is that a suit of cloth doesn't make a big difference over being naked.

Has anyone ever parsed this?
I don't think so. It feels right though. The difference gets smaller and smaller the higher level you get I think.

I think a cloth caster at lvl 60 it pretty much almost doesn't matter what you wear, mobs above level 40 will hurt badly.

But at lvl 1 it makes a big enough difference to be nice.

By lvl 60, either you can manage to kite without mana, or you have a ton of +int gear and it just helps with a big buffer and pace.

I think for warriors stuff like AC matters more, so they will still notice at lvl 60 a difference of say, 100ac, from buffs, and yeah, that's been pretty much parsed I think.

Gear is important to shamans, but barbarian shamans start with a pretty high wisdom. And that stat matters the most! <3
Old 07-11-2018, 12:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxNation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loramin should really take the time to put together an official good guy shaman guide.
Someday I might write an actual guide, but for now the next best thing is to go to http://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide and click the "Shaman" filter at the top.

It's not quite a guide because it gives you options instead of saying "go here at level X, then go here at level Y", and also the Shaman-recommended places don't start until level 20. But if you're a Barbarian Shaman I guarantee you can find a leveling path there because I wrote the guide as I was leveling Loramin, so it contains all the places I used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gear is important to shamans, but barbarian shamans start with a pretty high wisdom. And that stat matters the most! <3
Actually, the conventional wisdom is that Stamina > Wisdom. Wisdom only gives a Shaman mana, but Stamina gives a Shaman HP, which keeps them alive and can be converted to mana using Cannibalize.

But Wisdom is certainly handy too (and better than Stamina for tradeskills, if you're into that sort of thing): Barbarian pride!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 07-11-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Old 07-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

You do know shaman can convert mana into hp (and other effects!) too, Lora? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You do know shaman can convert mana into hp (and other effects!) too, Lora? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Indeed, that's very true ... when you have time and things are going smoothly. But here's the thing: higher stats don't matter the 95-99% of the time that things are going smoothly. The only time higher max stats do matter is when the shit hits the fan, and when it does a little extra HP can mean being able to run for your life. A little extra mana with no HP just means you die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoTriz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Wiki debunks this.

It's actually Wisdom > Stamina.
The wiki does no such thing. What the wiki actually says is:

Quote:
For pure Mana consideration, a higher WIS *dramatically* beats out over a higher STA
(Emphasis mine.) And that's true: for pure max mana Wisdom is clearly better.

But again, it's not about how the numbers crunch under ideal situations. Under ideal situations a Shaman with 150 Wisdom or Stamina is functionally identical to a Shaman with 250 Wisdom or Stamina. The only time higher max stats matter in EQ is when they give you a buffer, like when you accidentally pull two mobs instead of one and the extra HP from higher Stamina gives you a buffer that lets you survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxNation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can max stamina via buffs. No meaningful wisdom buffs exist
No meaningful wisdom buffs? Enlightenment gives 22, and Form of the Great Bear gives another 10. Now of course Riotous Health gives 50 Stamina, but still 32 Wisdom is far from meaningless.

Personally self-buffed I have 225 Wisdom and 223 Stamina. I've played here for four years and I've raided (though not at the A/A level). You can see my gear in my Magelo (link in signature): it's not terrible, but it's certianly not maxxed either.

If you're in Aftermath or Tempest or whatever and/or if you're getting raid buffed then sure, maxing Stamina (and probably Wisdom too) isn't that hard. But non-top-tier raiders won't be hitting their maxes when soloing/grouping for a long time ... if ever.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 07-11-2018 at 03:26 PM..
Old 07-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only time higher max stats matter in EQ is when they give you a buffer, like when you accidentally pull two mobs instead of one and the extra HP from higher Stamina gives you a buffer that lets you survive.
I love this comment as max hp and max mana are such misunderstood stats from a functional standpoint.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:32 PM
Planar Protector

Sometimes that little bit of extra mana can save you just like that little bit of hp could save you. With so many ways to convert hp to mana and vice versa, I think the main considerations are returns from+stats and which is harder to max. You get way more mana per wis than you get hp per sta and get sta buffs like others have said.

Also the cazic clickie neck gets seriously overlooked. Lots of fun to have leveling up, and with the Warrens out its a relatively easy faction grind and easy quest to boot.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:52 AM
Planar Protector

Agreed some times you need that mana for a root or a gate and you don't have time to canni and then cast another spell.

I think this changes once the shaman can torpor. Once my live shaman could hot he basically gave up on dieing. I haven't actually made it to 60 on a p99 shaman but I guess it is largely the same (wandering Krups excepted, of course).
Old 07-12-2018, 07:34 AM
Orc

Look who figured out how to create a signature lol

Timmel - Level 22 Dwarven Pally Extraordinaire!

Matrem - Level 12 Wood Elf Ranger and Ultimate Tracker

Joradim - Level 15 Barbarian Shaman (A Legend in his own Mind)

Iseldur - Level 26 Wood Elf Druid and Future Port Master

Agnosis The Great!!!! (Noob)Iskar Necromancer to the Dark Gods

None are currently higher than level 7 as I just starting playing EQ lol
Old 07-12-2018, 11:03 AM
Kobold

Quote:
I don't understand the thinking that higher stats mean nothing. With higher Stam/Wis I can take on mobs that are higher level, hit harder, I can cast more nukes/dots allowing me to kill faster.

Assuming we're all fighting blue mobs that we have no problem with then I would agree. While leveling I do not always go that route, sure once you're 50+ it makes sense but you should clarify that instead of stating it is always the case that higher stats don't mean anything unless you pull two mobs.
An extra 100 hp is completely meaningless unless you dip below 100 hp during a fight. Similarly an extra 100 mana is meaningless unless you dip below 100 mana during a fight. These marginal increases to a large pool are pretty insignificant.

The question is really which of these largely insignificant is more likely to save your life? I am not very good at this game so I know the answer for me would be hp.
Closed Thread