Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 06:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoggren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You would know if you played, that some class combos had significant advantages over others. Idk, maybe you didn't arena much. It changes here and there due to the constant meddling by Blizzard.
Well, 1500 is essentially the lowest rating in the game, but casuals still fail to reach it.

If we were talking about 3K rating I might agree with you, if this was 10 years ago. Currently if you look at the leaderboards pretty much every spec in the game is represented in the top 500, which during Cataclysm it was almost exclusively RLS and RMP.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:08 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, 1500 is essentially the lowest rating in the game, but casuals still fail to reach it.

If we were talking about 3K rating I might agree with you, if this was 10 years ago. Currently if you look at the leaderboards pretty much every spec in the game is represented in the top 500, which during Cataclysm it was almost exclusively RLS and RMP.
I haven't played arena since 2014
Old 08-08-2020, 07:16 AM
Planar Protector

Can't believe you dumb fucks responding to this stupid as thread. The OP is an obvious retardojoe alt.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoggren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I haven't played arena since 2014
They restructured it for BFA. 1800 is basically like the old 1500, and 2K is the new 1800, hehe. Healers have to DPS now too -- like it's a huge part of their role in Arenas, and thanks to Dampening, healing through damage isn't really as common. Good changes, unfortunately they were ruined with the fact that you have to spend months leveling your necklace off of island expeditions, months doing daily quests, and months doing mythic+ just to be competitive in PVP. Very grindy game ATM. Worst it's ever been IMHO.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

Hmm think about this:

wow:

press 1 2 and 4.. 1 2 and 4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 1 2 and 4 1 2 and 4

everquest: lull this mob, 2.5 mins, mez, sit memorize spell, stand up, cast, sit memorize spell, cast.

run around corner, wait...

path walks by GRAB IT, pull to corner /pet back off

run to other corner wait.....

wait.....

OK im just using one example but I feel the difference in everquest play is vastly more complicated than wow's, am I wrong? Tell me why.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm think about this:

wow:

everquest: lull this mob, 2.5 mins, mez, sit memorize spell, stand up, cast, sit memorize spell, cast.

wait.....

OK im just using one example but I feel the difference in everquest play is vastly more complicated than wow's, am I wrong? Tell me why.
Agree with you. At the time WoW seemed so much more complex, complicated, and involved because of how many different abilities you had etc. It was insane compared to the bare minimum amount non caster classes had for example. But eventually you come to the realization that it’s exactly as you described, just hitting the same cycle of numbers over and over and half your abilities you never really use
Old 08-08-2020, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depends on what example you want to cherry-pick. Counterpoint: Stereotypical EQ high-elf cleric bored housewife gets carried to greatness in groups and raids while merely sitting there clicking heal once in awhile. Next to no game knowledge required, much less any drive or individual initiative. Doesn't even have to know what half her own spellbook does, far be it from knowing anyone else's. At the mechanic level either game can be as tough or as easy as the player in question wants it to be. EQ I think has a higher ceiling because Sony tended to let players run with unexpected tactics while Blizzard habitually squashes out anything that wasn't done "its way." The floor of both games is quite low, but I'll argue EQ's floor is lower--it's easier to carry deadweight in EQ (and more of it) than it is in WoW.

Tuning: also a mixed bag, with the caveat that difficulty in Warcraft was mostly patched out once the bads started crying and gobbling that they couldn't win. The main difference here was that WoW's lack of penalty for failure meant bad players in that game never developed the timidity or risk aversion that's so often seen in EQ. Nobody was ever afraid to try to raid Onyxia for fear of losing their corpses akin to what could happen in a failed Fearplane break-in! However, death penalty is not precisely the same as raw difficulty, and Warcraft did not (originally, at least) want for difficulty: pick-up groups could and did routinely fail, leading to the screaming and whining that I mentioned earlier. The wife and I can duo most "group" content on P1999; we most certainly could not duo the top Warcraft instances. Mauradon was the top one that we could solo or duo almost entirely.

Both games have their difficulty and their easy sections, but EQ becomes much more memorable because of the way EQ hits the player like a hammer when he makes a mistake. Take that away--as in your case of the Enchanter who dies 500 times because he has a rezbot Cleric parked and doesn't care--and it becomes largely a wash between the two games.

**I do not mention PvP because I'm an elitist who regards ALL roleplaying game PvP as inherently easymode bunnyhill stuff for newbies. It's beneath my dignity.

Danth
Old 08-08-2020, 10:50 PM
Fire Giant

There are probably more boss mechanics in Karazhan than the entire first three expansions of Everquest. No way Everquest is the harder raid scene.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hmm think about this:

wow:

wait.....

Pretty inaccurate actually, and shows that you never played WoW. I remember even in Vanilla HAVING to have the perfect class combinations to have enough CC to even do certain dungeons. Like we actually had to have a Priest in our group to even be able to do Sunken Temple because they were the only class in the game who could CC Undead. As a Rogue I remember being annoyed that my DPS had to take a hit (since people are actually held accountable for their DPS in WoW), because it was mandatory that I Glyph Sap so my raid would actually be able to clear trash, otherwise it would be impossible -- this involved being completely in sync with Mage's using Polymorph, and Shamans using Hex at the same time, otherwise it was a complete wipe. If I was off even by a second then the mobs would be in combat and immune to sap, and if I broke stealth early, I pulled the entire room.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty inaccurate actually, and shows that you never played WoW. I remember even in Vanilla HAVING to have the perfect class combinations to have enough CC to even do certain dungeons. Like we actually had to have a Priest in our group to even be able to do Sunken Temple because they were the only class in the game who could CC Undead. As a Rogue I remember being annoyed that my DPS had to take a hit (since people are actually held accountable for their DPS in WoW), because it was mandatory that I Glyph Sap so my raid would actually be able to clear trash, otherwise it would be impossible -- this involved being completely in sync with Mage's using Polymorph, and Shamans using Hex at the same time, otherwise it was a complete wipe. If I was off even by a second then the mobs would be in combat and immune to sap, and if I broke stealth early, I pulled the entire room.
Glyphs didn’t exist in classic.
Closed Thread