Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Kobold

Default Unable to open EQ shortcut after updating spell files

I got the message at the char select screen to update files. i did. now every time i try to open the EQ game shortcut, i get an error message:

"eqgame.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience. if you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost."

i logged out of the game entirely to DL the files, and even rebooted my computer. what can I do to solve this?

edit: I am able load to the char select screen even with the error message up, i just drag it to the bottom corner and do not click "close" - when i do, it shuts down immediately. despite downloading and extracting the files several times over, it still tells me to come DL them on the char select screen. what am i doing wrong? never had a problem with your spell file updates in the past year.
Last edited by fonain; 08-14-2011 at 12:37 AM..
Old 08-14-2011, 03:06 AM
Fire Giant

Having the same exact problem.

Windows XP
Service Pack 2

Eqgame.exe will load with just the new spell file to character select where I receive the P99 DLL error. Eqgame.exe will load with the new spell file and eqgame.dll to character select where I get the same P99 DLL error. When placing wsock32.dll into the Everquest directory Eqgame.exe will refuse to load with this error:

Error signature

AppName: eqgame.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: eqgame.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00002483
Old 08-14-2011, 03:06 AM
Aviak

What OS are you running? Windows XP? Vista? 7? .....dare I say anything older than that? =)

Originally from Tarew Marr. May it rest in peace, as it died to become Drinal :'(
Old 08-14-2011, 03:46 AM
Large Bat

Exact same problem here, Window's xp sv pack 3. Never had a problem before this last patch. If I don't click to close the "eqgame.exe has encountered a problem" window I can get to the character select screen to be told to download the new spell files.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:16 AM
Large Bat

Also happening to a friend of mine, we all got it to work fine and he has been having the same issue. only thing we have different really is he has a radeon and we all have nvidia.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Fire Giant

Same problem - fatal error with eqgame.exe upon load. Win XP SP3, Radeon 9800 Pro.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Large Bat

I'm also using an ati card. I've noticed that the shutdown error has something to do with the wsock32.dll file that someone mentioned in another post. If I delete that file, the shutdown error goes away, however it still tells me my spell files are out of date when I get to char login.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Kobold

I am running XP, Kobias. not sure what service pack but im pretty sure its SP2.

my video card is from 100 years ago, im running a Nvidia Geforce 4400, or possibly it is 5200, regardless it is extremely old. doesnt really give me issues with EQ tho, still very playable.

thank you unbreak, gonna try deleting the wsock

edit: aye, confirmed, with wsock32.dll removed, i get no fatal .exe error, but as unbreakable said - still the DLL error at char select.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Large Rat

same problem here... fatal error, removed the wsock32.dll fatal error is gone but still get ERRORCODE DLL-1 at char screen
Old 08-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Fire Giant

Still having the same exact problem after the Hotfix. EQgame.exe will not load.