Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:35 AM
Kobold

Default Paladin - How to pull?

Alright. I'm usually not in the melee and pulling business and although my paladin is low level (13) on green, I enjoy playing already and look forward to new toys at new spell levels.

My problem is that I don't know how to pull in a group. Yesterday I figured out that pulling from dervish camp in north ro with flash of light is not THAT good of an idea. Leaving me with basically nothing but body pull, which is not that useful either for most spawns.

How do paladins pull at lower levels and/or how do you do it? Spells and clickies at lvl 50 won't help me.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:53 AM
Planar Protector

Am I missing something here... surely the answer is launch a 4cp arrow at the mobs you want to aggro?
Old 06-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Aviak

Blind spells on targets without someone in melee range are basically cheap fear spells. Unless it’s time for you to run to zone never cast them at range.

Buy a basic 100 range longbow from any melee class vender (3pp?). Buy a fletching kit and 4 20 stacks of basic arrow parts at 5cp per item. Craft basic arrows until skill trivializes and add the next higher fletching (feathers/range) part until around 40+ skill which trivializes making the 1 damage 150 range arrows. You save some time just grabbing 21 (?) tradeskill cap via training skill points.

Target, shoot run to group. 100 range bow + 150 range arrow is slightly longer range than spell casting.

You can use lull spell at level 15 to pull by recasting till critical resist causes threat while out of line of sight or when elevation makes arrows impossible.
Last edited by rajax; 06-01-2020 at 11:07 AM..
Old 06-01-2020, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Use a bow. Stuns and Flame of Light will work too, but they're not mana efficient.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

Once you get to 15 you can start using lull. Lull the mobs you do not want to pull, then face pull or bow pull the last remaining mob. Rinse repeat until camp is broken. Then you can just pull individuals on spawn. Just be careful of crit failing, that will pull the whole camp.

You also get your first undead direct damage spell at 15, which can be used to pull undead mobs. You get your first stun at 30, which will be the first spell you can use to pull non-undead mobs.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:33 PM
Kobold

Thank you all for your advise. I'm gonna get a bow although I didn't bother with ranged weapons yet. And the other tips and tricks were helpful.

Truth and Light, Brothers!
Old 06-01-2020, 06:19 PM
Planar Protector

Lull changes things at 15. With a bit charisma (120-150) it’s downright decent. Grab a crude stein at least for a cheap 15 point bump.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:36 AM
Banned

Yup...use a bow as others have suggested.

Craft arrows in the field...odly enough you can make them while you melee/tank (good 1 brad).

You eventually get roots and lulls that help you pull.
I'd suggest having a decent charisma set..aim for at minimum 120-150 worn...there are some nice cheap items that give a quick charisma buff.

A perk of picking high elf/human is the high starting charisma.
Last edited by White_knight; 06-02-2020 at 11:43 AM..
Old 06-17-2020, 08:16 PM
Kobold

Pull with a bow or just run up to a mob at early levels.

At later levels you can pull in a number of ways.

Stuns - you'll stun the mob letting you put some distance between the two of you reducing your damage running back to camp, good tactic if you have the mana and against dangerous opponents. Added benefit is by the time it's in camp you'll already by high on the aggro table from the initial stun pull.

Pacify/Lull - A good method for breaking up camps but not exactly reliable unless you out level the mobs greatly or have high CHA. When using pacify to split up camps, ALWAYS go for the lowest level mobs first, least likely to crit resist.

Root pulling is my personal favorite method I did pulling in 90% of my groups leveling and root is the best method, you can split up 3 pulls really easy. Just root one mob in place, the other 2 will aggro, cycle to one root it, now you bring the solo back to camp. Usually always works out by the time you kill the one in camp root will break and the others will funnel in one after another.
Last edited by Strifen; 06-17-2020 at 08:18 PM..
Old 06-17-2020, 08:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A perk of picking high elf/human is the high starting charisma.
.....as I cry everytime my dwarf cleric or paladin is starting at me in the character select screen.
Closed Thread