Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 07:22 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, but so was original EQ under 989 studios/SOE.
I'm not being argumentative here but I thought it was 989 and Verant interactive initially, before Sony got their fingers into the pie?
Old 01-24-2019, 07:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanech [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We all know how we feel about MMOs. We wouldn't be here if we didn't appreciate how hard it should be, but unfortunately there's a big difference between 1,500 and 1.5 million.
Its not just the difficulty, which depending on who you talk its hardcore or so easy. It was the time it was released, playing a fully online world that went on if you were there or not. Meeting all sorts of people. A game world that deep, for the time, and vast. The loot driven mechanic that is lampooned today but was obviously good enough to help spawn a genre that continuously tried to improve upon it with mixed results. There was nothing like it on the market.

As a guy that came from consoles in 99, to getting his first real PC in 2000, the game of EQ was a major step up into something very different than F-Zero and Mario. Computers were not consoles, were not trying to be consoles.

je ne sais quoi
Old 01-24-2019, 07:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanech [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not being argumentative here but I thought it was 989 and Verant interactive initially, before Sony got their fingers into the pie?
Quote:
EverQuest is a 3D fantasy-themed massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) originally developed by Verant Interactive and 989 Studios for Windows PCs and was released by Sony Online Entertainment in March 1999 in North America
Quote:
989 Studios was a division of Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) that developed games for the PlayStation consoles and Windows personal computers.
Quote:
Verant Interactive launched EverQuest on March 16, 1999, through Sony with modest expectations
Old 01-24-2019, 10:16 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
You have a solid point with your concern. I agree with your misgivings, and I feel like it is something that needs to be addressed. There was a time that I would have backed Bethesda or Bioware without question when it came to RPGs but their parent companies have devolved the genre to absolute crap. Flies and everything.

The only saving grace that Pantheon has going for them is that they're not being paid or driven by a major publishing house. Wasn't Vanguard still under the directive of SoE when it was released?
Vanguard was Microsoft Game Studios @ release and when it failed to meet expectations SOE bought it
Old 01-24-2019, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizax_Xaziv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Vanguard was Microsoft Game Studios @ release and when it failed to meet expectations SOE bought it
Ah, that's right. My vanguard info is spotty at best, like wow that game managed to hold my attention for about 2 weeks. 1 of those weeks was just trying to get something out of the purchase.

Were not special. Did not elicit wonder.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Kobold

Its slowly coming along, and anyone who wants to play it should realize that's a good thing. Whatchu want? Companies are releasing games years from completion because people still buy them. People buy them then complain on the internet that they suck. I blame the millenials.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyokah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its slowly coming along, and anyone who wants to play it should realize that's a good thing. Whatchu want? Companies are releasing games years from completion because people still buy them. People buy them then complain on the internet that they suck. I blame the millenials.
dark clouds
Old 01-24-2019, 02:44 PM
Aviak

It's going to be a giant shit show and dead in 3 months.

Instead of creating something original they're trying to copy and capture lightning in a bottle that never works out
Old 01-24-2019, 06:38 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
. Lore is vastly different from EQ's.
I dont think youve read any of the lore or class descriptions then. Pantheon is a carbon copy of Everquest and just like with Everquest Next pledges, they already have your money suckaaaaaa!
Old 01-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Sarnak

Im way more excited for p99 "green/recycle" server starting than I am for any new IP who is just trying to recreate the past with a new face. Everquest is great because it was innovative, not because its an mmo. WoW got big cause it dialed the innovation up to 11 and streamlined the experience so more people could enjoy it. Those are the opposite ends of the spectrum and most of the stuff in between is garbage lol.
Closed Thread