Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 10:05 AM
Fire Giant

If these were really the tracks from classic EQ they would of needed to of been on a CD, back then that was the only real way to play music of this quality while playing a game AFAIK.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:10 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People that play everquest with the sound turned off are monsters.
Cripes, I thought I was just deplorable, now I'm considered a monster too? <sigh>
Old 09-30-2019, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

@Tsuchang: You have a gnome as a sig, so you are clearly going through some personal/drug issues at the moment. Don't be too hard on yourself, monster!

OP: you linked the wrong song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdyv...VExvM&index=24
Old 09-30-2019, 10:49 AM
Planar Protector

A great many people presently use onboard sound which typically has only poor MIDI support. Way back when you would've been using things like SoundBlaster Live! or AWE32 which would've given different results. That being said it still wouldn't have sounded quite the same as that modern video. There are old videos also on youtube made using various types of hardware (or simulated equivalents).

For my part I was also among the folks who always turned game music off (sound on, but music off). 90's MIDI music always sounded so bad compared to consoles of the era.

Danth
Old 09-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Planar Protector

So now that the conversation has started, what have some people found on the interwebz that gets the midis as close to the original sounds as possible?
Old 09-30-2019, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

EQ used some sort of proprietary file for its music, although I think it was really just midi music converted to a different format so people couldn't easily listen to it out-of-game. An old EQ patch note for EQ suggests that most users heard pre-rendered music, although users with SBLive! or AWE32 cards got something different. If you can remember what hardware you had in 1999/2001 that'll let you know what you want to hunt for on youtube/elsewhere.

Danth
Old 09-30-2019, 11:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So now that the conversation has started, what have some people found on the interwebz that gets the midis as close to the original sounds as possible?
I'm sure there are threads on this in the technical discussion forum and elsewhere on eqemu, but my gut is telling me that because elfsim is so old, those threads might actually now be out of date and not appropriate solutions for windows 10!

googled site[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]roject1999.com midi and got this result:

Make EQ's music (MIDI) sound Significantly Better.
(2012!)

edit:

I see you already found that dead end.

edit edit:

Quote:
You can setup several soundbanks in virtual midi synth, I've found that using the files you can find in the EQ directory in combination with the awe32 soundbank will give you the correct instruments. They overwrite each other as you load more in, here's my current load order and it sounds pretty good.

1mgm.sf2
synthys2.sf2
sythnusr.sbk

The last two are in the EQ directory. I haven't noticed anything that sounds significantly off with this setup yet.
Sounds like the trick for win10 is to download virtualmidi synth and combine EQ's own files with the awe32 soundbank
Last edited by Jimjam; 09-30-2019 at 11:59 AM..
Old 09-30-2019, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm sure there are threads on this in the technical discussion forum and elsewhere on eqemu, but my gut is telling me that because elfsim is so old, those threads might actually now be out of date and not appropriate solutions for windows 10!

googled site[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]roject1999.com midi and got this result:

Make EQ's music (MIDI) sound Significantly Better.
(2012!)

edit:

I see you already found that dead end.

edit edit:

Sounds like the trick for win10 is to download virtualmidi synth and combine EQ's own files with the awe32 soundbank
/cheers
Old 10-01-2019, 05:41 PM
Fire Giant

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hearing that Roland version makes me ... want to cry ? a deep seated emotion of loss and grief wow.

For real [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 10-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That, I have no idea.

I don't think I ever had music turned on while playing P99 at all.
I am the kind of guy that dedicated a Qsynth session on my Lubuntu Installation just to be able to hear the banking/trading MIDIs using a classical soundfont ... P99 comes alive with music!

But then again I know the sound debate is a complex one, some people prefer a quiet game play but for me without sound P99 or EQ at all is not eq.[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Closed Thread