Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 03:46 AM
Sarnak

Default Help me decide - twink rogue or warrior

I'm looking to try 2 classes I never really played before and wanted to twink them pretty well so I could effectively solo as due to my schedule my grouping will be limited. I know neither of these are classic solo classes but as long as it's possible to do I'm willing to try.

I had considered SK but I've heard countless stories of burnout once you hit 50 due to low DPS and that exp penalty is rough (playing on green).

Warrior seems like it can have a really fun playstyle being able to swap between different weapons mid fight, and I think it would be interesting to pump dex so I can have a good proc rate - swapping between proc weapons for various debuffs could make the class more interesting.

Rogue is good when needing to afk or for dungeon exploration (something I'd love to be able to do without conning everything for see invis), and as I understand you can still backstab when soloing with good positioning. Also their DPS could make things a lot of fun and would probably have a more interesting playstyle than the warrior.

As far as gear, I would be getting a fungi and have a FBSS I can move from a melee character. I've only looked at rogue gear so far as I am more leaning towards that but have read in a few places that a twinked warrior is really fun (more so than a rogue).

I'm not against grouping, just if I'm realistic I won't have as much time to commit to longer sessions.

Any insight from people who have gone done this route before would be appreciated!
Old 05-06-2021, 03:54 AM
Planar Protector

Rogue offers the most chill laid back playstyle. You can afk as noted with hide/stealth, it has a max of three jobs. Lockpick, corpsedrag and backstab. It's the easiest highest damage in the game of any class. Poison making is lack luster but a couple of them can be useful like the 50% slow poison. That said they do get some fun proc weapons.

Warrior is a more active playstyle once you start getting higher in levels. Their skills also promote this as they can still do damage but have the defensive skills to compliment. A properly geared raid warrior can do a lot of damage and take very little in return. This is obviously why warrior is the main tank for raids. The reason I'm droning on is this gives warrior the advantage to solo in some sense. Warriors also get the most toys it feels like in regards to proc weapons.

Dual wielding Blood Point with high dex and some haste is a lot of fun, at lvl 51.

If you do go warrior, please put all your creation points into dex. In Velious you will not regret this decision.

edit: ps. combat bind wound was removed from p99. If you get hit, it will interrupt your bindwound.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 05-06-2021 at 03:58 AM..
Old 05-06-2021, 05:02 AM
Planar Protector

Also engaging auto attack interrupts bind wound.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 05-06-2021, 06:13 AM
Planar Protector

You've done twink monk I assume?

If not, go monk over warrior. Way better for the type of play you're looking for.

Just...don't go rogue if you plan on solo...its awful... even twinked.
Last edited by Toxigen; 05-06-2021 at 06:18 AM..
Old 05-06-2021, 08:31 AM
Sarnak

Thanks for the responses!

I played monk on live, again on red circa 2015, and leveled my necro with my bro who played a twinked monk so I'd rather do a class that is more new to me.

I think warrior sounds like it might be the best bet - I do need to do a bit more research as to what weapons to I should get to help me get the most out of my leveling, hopefully those that proc early.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxarcule [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the responses!

I played monk on live, again on red circa 2015, and leveled my necro with my bro who played a twinked monk so I'd rather do a class that is more new to me.

I think warrior sounds like it might be the best bet - I do need to do a bit more research as to what weapons to I should get to help me get the most out of my leveling, hopefully those that proc early.
Reaver + Staff of Battle til 50 then 2x Bloodpoints + Truncheon of Doom

I'd try to get better haste...RBB or RBG at least. After fungi, haste will have the biggest effect on your leveling speed. 21% to 31% may shed hundreds of hours off your /played depending on how much you wind up grouping. Can do Staff of Battle + fungi + RBB and just fill in your other slots with cheap str / hp gear (have agi at or above 75) and off you go to 50. No need to worry about dex gear until then. I suppose a snare weapon could be a good choice too to help w/ runners.

At 50 it'll get slow, but Truncheon of Doom on every mob first, proc the slow, and swap to 2x Bloodpoints and thats about as good as it gets for the solo war.
Last edited by Toxigen; 05-06-2021 at 08:54 AM..
Old 05-06-2021, 08:50 AM
Sarnak

I'm on green so Reaver would be a no go for near future (prices will likely be insane for the first year) but staff of battle looks good. Bloodpoints and truncheon are badass and would love to try that with high dex [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-06-2021, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

I’m not sure if battle bind-wound works on green or if the root nets are still instant cast and affordable to recharge. I know these were a serious benefit for a pure melee class.

A rogue is probably the worst solo class out there besides a cleric killing non-undead. At least past level 50. Warriors with mid rate gear are as well without a fungi or invig BP. I got a gnome warrior with the tinkered haste arms to 56 solo and just quit to do other things. It wasn’t hard in Hk.

Either way I’d keep to easy targets like HK. A locustlure would definitely help as would a ToD once you get Evasive. Blood points for either (I’d offhand the RB if soloing a rogue probably). In this game time is your most valuable resource and patience your best virtue. You only really need one 6 min blue spawn to solo to 60. I’ve done with with a number of chars including a ranger and pally. It’s boring but windowed EQ and YouTube is a match made in heaven. I’d probably dabble with rogue poison too just to make the grind less boring. You can make lower Paralyzing Root/slow poison with vendor bought regs.
Last edited by Snaggles; 05-06-2021 at 09:45 AM..
Old 05-06-2021, 12:26 PM
Fire Giant

I've had giga twinked rogue and warrior.

Rogue is a little bit more fun. Also I found that my rogue solo'd just as well as my warrior into the late 40s. Especially when you learn to land backstabs with agro.

Both classes are ultra boring to play in groups. Leveling my rogue from 56-60 was one of the most boring experiences i've had. Legit one handed gaming. (And I had a Vyemm Fang at level 56) Warrior is exactly the same... except rogues offer phenomenal DPS in groups and warriors are.... not great in groups. My poor poor warrior, who has had a KT axe since level 5, hasn't made it out of the 40s because I just can't bring myself to level it. Soloing is slow and boring.

End game... warriors are bad ass. But also require the absolute most amount of gear out of any class.

End game rogues.... you can pretty much have EC gear and epic and put out almost the same amount of DPS as any non-primal proc'd rogue at the raid.

I'd pick rogue. But if you go warrior, just worry about DPS weapons until you are forced to group. Reaver, Swiftblade of zek, etc. Also wavecrasher sucks don't even bother with it.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

Yea rogues certainly can get by far cheaper. Max str, get some good svs for raiding (jewelry), Ragebringer + anything else.

A 500k EC rogue is not 10x a 50k one. Nobody really asks your hps either so there goes that aspect of peer pressure.
Closed Thread