Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-20-2016, 06:11 PM
Orc

Default EQ Classic (no expansions) player - Joining P99 soon (hopefully!)

Just wanted to say greetings to all of you already enjoying the P99 experience.

Hoping to get on a server soon! Ordered EQ titanium as I do not wish to use torrent bc I am not computer savvy and am probably overly cautious, however first disc is scratched and giving me cyclic data redundancy errors! Hoping to resolve somehow but we will see.

Prior posts on other threads have not worked (must be approved / reviewed by moderator??) but hopefully this will go through.

Anyway, hello to all of you out there - feel free to lend advice!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Sarnak

You're gonna love it!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:13 PM
Sarnak

use dremel tool and cotton polisher to buff out scratches. Works if they are not to deep
Old 06-22-2016, 10:19 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
use dremel tool and cotton polisher to buff out scratches. Works if they are not to deep
Tried the toothpaste trick to smooth out the "alleged" scratches, then some car wax to get back to a nice shiny polish.... Unfortunately I was unable to succeed in making the disc readable because on further inspection, there are the tiniest flecks of damage on the foil side of the disk... can even really see through the disk when holding up to light, it was truly difficult to see that it was truly damage to the foil... so now I am stuck with a disk set with disk 1 damaged, disks 2-5 perfectly converted to iso's... damn.

So... until another reasonable auction comes along, I guess I am SOL. On a positive note, the ebay seller refunded and basically said "sorry. No need to ship back disks, keep them"... I felt bad because the seller had no way of knowing they were damaged and was already flexible with lowering price and offering Buy It Now option...

Bad Luck!

On other note, thinking of rolling a wood-elf druid, mainly due to that being the class I played in classic to roughly lvl 40... got nostalgia for that starting zone (fond memories of crushbone for some reason)... I read on here that halfings are the way to go for sneak... don't care about the XP factor, but is halfing really a better option? Seems like they have built in resists too!..

Thanks for any replies / advice... really hope to get a working disc 1!
Old 06-23-2016, 12:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey VII [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that high horse you're on is highly unnecessary

get over yourself and torrent that shit
You are just replacing a copy of something you already have! Just DL the first CD from the 5 disc titanium set. Otherwise, yeah, buff out the scratches.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshmallow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just wanted to say greetings to all of you already enjoying the P99 experience.

Hoping to get on a server soon! Ordered EQ titanium as I do not wish to use torrent bc I am not computer savvy and am probably overly cautious, however first disc is scratched and giving me cyclic data redundancy errors! Hoping to resolve somehow but we will see.

Prior posts on other threads have not worked (must be approved / reviewed by moderator??) but hopefully this will go through.

Anyway, hello to all of you out there - feel free to lend advice!
Only appear to have 3 options:
1.) Try the above mentioned buffing (personally have not had much luck with this).
2.) Reorder Titanium from another source.
3.) Torrent, which really does not require any special knowledge whatsoever. Get yourself a client (I like Deluge), get a torrent address, and fire away. If you wish to torrent "anonymously", there are very newbie friendly guides out there to help you setup your client.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, google cleaning discs. I have heard all sorts of things are good, including tooth paste, but you probably wanna check up on that stuff for yourself properly.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:31 PM
Fire Giant

I think the kits for headlight restoration are supposed to work really well. Just follow the instructions and go lightly. Depends on what plastic the disc is made of as well. The top side is the ink so be careful not to scratch it.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

a couple decades back I stopped a lot of audio cds from skipping with Turtle Wax - they sell it in a pourable bottle (pictured below), iirc just put a coat on the cd with a soft towel wait 8 mins and wax off with a clean soft towel, generally fixes or at least improves anything except incense burns in cds heh

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Planar Protector

(Cheap last resort method)
Toothpaste works on scratched discs for a couple/few first runs.
I use to do it on xbox 360 games. no joke.

carefully smear the non gritty toothpaste from the inside out onto the bottom side of the disk with a very soft monitor/disk towel/rag then run it under mild cool water until all the toothpaste is off. Do not wipe dry. pat it dry softly.
What I did was clean the toothpaste off about a minute after applying then let the disk set for a few minute to dry thoroughly. Some people claim to let the toothpaste dry onto the disk then clean it off.

I'd had some disks work several times after this method and others only work 1 time until I had to repeat the process. I just installed the disk to HDD on my xbox 360. using the disk to boot the game then do nothing.

I've heard of people using wax or stick deodorant also. I always used toothpaste /shrug

---
If the outside edge (not the top or bottom) of the disk look cracked or like it's peeling or split on the inside. (hard to explain) It may be damaged beyond repair.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 06-24-2016 at 04:13 PM..