Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 01:54 PM
Fire Giant

Default Monk loadout + weapon questions

Hey guys, I decided to put my shaman on hold and start leveling a new iksar monk because of being on call often (FD pause button) and because I like melees a lot.

Currently he's sitting at level 20 (damage cap just got bumped, woo!) with a fungi, some random hp items I had lying around, and a fbss for haste.

I'm using a tstaff for 2hb and two trance sticks for 1hb. Basically my question is whether it's worth to keep the tstaff around for soloing, or whether I should just get rid of it and buy better haste/better 1hb weapons instead.

Also, I have about 20k left I'm currently keeping stashed away for epic purposes, but maybe putting it towards better haste has more of a priority?

I've never leveled a melee on classic, so I'm going to heed whatever advice I get in here.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey guys, I decided to put my shaman on hold and start leveling a new iksar monk because of being on call often (FD pause button) and because I like melees a lot.

Currently he's sitting at level 20 (damage cap just got bumped, woo!) with a fungi, some random hp items I had lying around, and a fbss for haste.

I'm using a tstaff for 2hb and two trance sticks for 1hb. Basically my question is whether it's worth to keep the tstaff around for soloing, or whether I should just get rid of it and buy better haste/better 1hb weapons instead.

Also, I have about 20k left I'm currently keeping stashed away for epic purposes, but maybe putting it towards better haste has more of a priority?

I've never leveled a melee on classic, so I'm going to heed whatever advice I get in here.
Epic is not hard to acquire. You should be aiming for the best haste you can afford as a melee, especially considering you don't have an easy worn haste out like Ranger/Rogue.

I'd keep the TStaff as it will be even more powerful with the next patch, and spend your money upgrading haste since you already have a Fungi. My personal favorites are Cloak of Crystalline Waters or Spiked Seahorse Hide Belt. If you're a bit patient you can find some people willing to dump them below market value. Can resell eventually if you get Sky belt, although with Green on the horizon hard to say what the future market will look like.

Good luck
Old 05-19-2019, 05:45 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks for the advice. I made some purchases in the meantime (jboots, pantherskin for fashion), so I don't quite have enough for a SSHB - I'm sticking with my FBSS for now and maybe upgrading to a RBG at some point. Maybe I'll sell the staff at some point, but I decided to stick with it for now. The 2hb unequip trick is solid, if a chore.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Sarnak

I would not sell the t-staff. First, 2hb is a great route when soloing, because you’ll take less damage from ripostes and damage shields due to less swings, in addition to dealing more damage on your own ripostes which will proc since you’re tanking. Second, it’s a flatly amazing weapon that holds up well even from a damage output standpoint, which only gets better with the proc, and ultimately better still with the eventual triple attack patch. Which leads to, thirdly, the price of the t-staff is only going to increase when that patch hits. This isn’t a good time to sell it even if you did decide you didn’t want to use it. But I guess that’s moot if you don’t want to use it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I guess what I’m saying is, in my opinion you already have the best purchasable monk weapon, and I would just keep it. It’s only going to get better as you level.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:06 AM
Fire Giant

tstaff is a keeper even at lvl 60, plus it's always easy to sell. price on tstaff has been quite consistent over the past 2 years compared to others

gradually accumulate plat for a good worn haste item or epic
Old 05-23-2019, 09:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagorf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
tstaff is a keeper even at lvl 60, plus it's always easy to sell. price on tstaff has been quite consistent over the past 2 years compared to others

gradually accumulate plat for a good worn haste item or epic
QFT

If you already have a TStaff it would be foolish to sell it. For raw dps there isn’t really a better option until you finish your epic. Even after you get your epic and prior to the next patch it is competitive with epic (9/16) and scepter of mastery (13/21). After the next patch it’ll beat all other weapons other than combinations of raid single handers starting with double Wu Fists from sky (16/22) and raid level 2hander weaponry.

You can’t really buy a better weapon and remember that even LESSER 2handers in general will outperform dual wield setups until you’re into your 50s.

Just save up for a better haste and possibly for parts of your epic that can be financed.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 05-23-2019, 01:46 PM
Fire Giant

Word, guys. I'm keeping it around, it's serving me really well so far pre-35.
Closed Thread