Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 03:08 AM
Large Bat

Default Assisting the tank

Assisting the tank seems to be the expected thing to do in groups. Why is this? Back when I played during the classic era there was the tank and there was the main assist(MA). The MA picked the targets and everyone assisted them. That way the tank was free to switch targets as needed to manage aggro. Does anyone do this anymore?
Old 03-15-2020, 03:22 AM
Sarnak

thats advanced tactics. everyone knows beginner players must assist chanter
Old 03-15-2020, 03:28 AM
Planar Protector

Carryover from Warcraft mostly where the tank commonly triples as the puller and the group leader. I feel in normal groups a person shouldn't have to /assist at all and instead use his own mark 1 eyeball to see what needs to be done, but a lot of players are far too lazy to put forth actual effort and really just want to be carried. That's also carryover from Warcraft where most groups demanded a competent tank, competent healer, then two or three random stooges who could follow simple directives.

Danth
Old 03-15-2020, 06:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Carryover from Warcraft mostly where the tank commonly triples as the puller and the group leader. I feel in normal groups a person shouldn't have to /assist at all and instead use his own mark 1 eyeball to see what needs to be done, but a lot of players are far too lazy to put forth actual effort and really just want to be carried. That's also carryover from Warcraft where most groups demanded a competent tank, competent healer, then two or three random stooges who could follow simple directives.

Danth
It' not a carryover at all, not from WoW anyway, though perhaps to WoW. And you seriously think using assist is lazy? I have the complete opposite opinion. it's not only not lazy but ideal, as everyone knows as soon as possible what mobs to target without having to use keyboard communication.

But the vast majority of the time the tank will also be main assist, so you just go with the flow unless the party wants to do things differently. This actually can be quite important if your party has a bard/enchanter so they know what not to CC especially when you start adding DoTs into the mix.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:26 AM
Aviak

To succes you just have to assist the guy of the team who is not assisting and breaking all the mezzs... Kidding

Not so much issues, just some random guy doting all mobs and some no controled pet.

Some people no use this:

Command: /pet back off
UI Button: Back

Effect: empties the pet's Hate List, causing it to stop attacking.

Detail: while this will clear the pets hate list, if a mob atacks the pet again after this command is given it will begin attacking the mob again. This is a particular problem in areas with mobs casting large AE's. Temple of Veeshan is the most common example.
Sycopata (Troll Warrior) 65 Clan Odisea -Solusek Ro
Last edited by sycopata666; 03-15-2020 at 07:29 AM..
Old 03-15-2020, 09:08 AM
Kobold

In my limited time playing my warrior, I have found it good if somebody else is main assist, especially if there is little to no crowd control and potential for multiple mobs. That way I can switch to get mobs that run off onto the healer/sitting down agro etc without disrupting the groups assist key
Old 03-15-2020, 09:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And you seriously think using assist is lazy? .
In a group--Yeah, I do, or at least it can be. As a tank type it annoys me when I switch targets to build aggro on mezzed/rooted things (can build aggro on mezzed targets using zero-damage spells) and some mindless melee spams away with assist, switching his own target and sometimes creating nuisance. That kind of laziness (or ineptitude) can reduce my own flexibility and it's easily avoided when a player merely uses his eyes and pays some small amount of attention. I change targets a lot while doing the tank job, especially on a pull, unless everything is always coming in single in which case the entire point becomes moot.

Danth
Old 03-15-2020, 10:53 AM
Planar Protector

I assist main DPS like rogue, or the enchanter who is mezzing the mobs I want to break mez on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycopata666 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To succes you just have to assist the guy of the team who is not assisting and breaking all the mezzs... Kidding

Not so much issues, just some random guy doting all mobs and some no controled pet.

Some people no use this:

Command: /pet back off
UI Button: Back

Effect: empties the pet's Hate List, causing it to stop attacking.

Detail: while this will clear the pets hate list, if a mob atacks the pet again after this command is given it will begin attacking the mob again. This is a particular problem in areas with mobs casting large AE's. Temple of Veeshan is the most common example.
make your pet guard an area away from the AoE zone, when its backed off it will go back to its guard spot, gg
Old 03-15-2020, 10:54 AM
Planar Protector

Really though, if you have CC in group just let them do their job as the tank and don’t switch targets, save your taunt so it’s up when you go to the next mezzed mob and hit it with taunt right before breaking(however I can see swapping mid fight to pump a taunt on mezzed mob if you got some gung-ho pet classes or overzealous melee in group lol). But if tank says assist me with whatever just stay on that mob a little common sense goes a long ways... typically killing the higher lvl mobs first so CC has easier times, if root is only CC kill casters first, etc. But assist is definitely a very awesome tool when used properly. If group is having issues then having a MA can help - sometimes though people just suck or are distracted/tired/drunk.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:02 AM
Kobold

because there's so many enchanters and sometimes bards running around that its rarely needed to have the tank swap aggro, easier to just focus on the highest priority target and let the CC deal with the rest to avoid CC breaks

back in classic there wasn't as many enchanters or good bards because people weren't all sweaty gamers and didnt have all the information available to them so having melee actually tank mobs was all that people knew
Last edited by Kanuvan; 03-15-2020 at 11:05 AM..
Closed Thread