Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 07:25 PM
Planar Protector

EQ is a better game, however WoW fits into a non toxic gaming lifestyle. Gotta be unemployed and medicated to hit your P99 goals.
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hogan
The first thing you gotta' realize, brother, is this right here is the future of wrestling. You can call this the New World Order of Wrestling.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was in Basic Training when WoW came out, but I had played EverQuest 2 before going in, so when I got out all of my friends asked me if I had tried WoW yet and told me it was like EQ but "retard friendly."
And this is hilarious because WoW classic is considered ultra hard by WoW retail players, and this is part of what made it so appealing to them. A game most EQ players considered retard-mode = very challenging for retail WoW players.

And I know Starkind will point out that WoW is harder than EQ, and in some ways this is true... but also not really. My girlfriend hopped onto retail WoW and had fun. She played for a few hours and had a mount and her character looked cute.

So when WoW classic came out, she tried it, and was having fun at first. A few hours later she was ready to quit, and even complained about the fact that she didn't understand how she played retail WoW for only a couple of hours and accomplished so much more (for instance, having the mount was a big deal to her). She died frequently and really struggled to complete quests. It just wasn't for her.

I noticed on my own character that all of the people I leveled with in my 30s and 40s slowly weeded out, and I never saw them again. Was WoW classic 'harder' than retail? In terms of leveling, assuming you can't afford a Mara boost, I'm going to say yes... in terms of doing high-end raids... I want to say no.. like the mechanics in WoW classic aren't really challenging, but this doesn't change the fact that a lot people I know raided WoW classic for 2 years and still never got BIS every thing due to the random luck factor.

Or that certain guilds were extremely selective. That was part of why I started to lose interest. Being told that I had to play a Mage, Priest or Warrior to apply for any top guild just made me realize how garbage WoW classic was compared to true Vanilla WoW where no one really gave a fuck if you were a Moonkin Druid, or Ret Paladin as long as you showed up and tried.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:41 PM
Planar Protector

Old 06-13-2021, 08:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalpow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ is a better game, however WoW fits into a non toxic gaming lifestyle. Gotta be unemployed and medicated to hit your P99 goals.
Only if your goals require it, EQ can accommodate it.

If those guys are popular streamers they will get simp assistance and probably BIS in a year (give or take).
Old 06-13-2021, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalpow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Marginally true, but only if you want to be a PVPer.

I gave up raiding on WoW because I could not conform to a raid schedule while maintaining a full-time job.

PvP? Just log in and play whenever you want to.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:11 AM
Banned

daybreak only has one plan now and it includes like 3 games
Old 06-14-2021, 08:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Marginally true, but only if you want to be a PVPer.

I gave up raiding on WoW because I could not conform to a raid schedule while maintaining a full-time job.

PvP? Just log in and play whenever you want to.
yeah raiding on wow means locking the door and family gets wierded when u do that, you need hpyerfocus 100% raid attendance, and when ur guild does the raid 8 times they give up and go play alts so the window to actually raid in wow is pretty small, however there is a burgenouing community of letting pick up groups ruin your old raids, if they scaled better so 12 year olds can't 1 shot mobs, and there was more emphasis on achievs in the old raids it'd be perfect for a 1 hr event
Old 06-14-2021, 02:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I cringed so hard when Asmon pretty much presented himself as an expert on what makes an MMO good while fully acknowledging that he never played EverQuest, and declared it bad because he didn't like the dated graphics. He then proceeded to describe a game that was exactly like EverQuest for what would make the ideal MMO.

Reminds me of my real-life friend who is always "shocked" at how sophisticated and advanced EverQuest is.. it's like in his mind he thinks that because it's an older game then it must be more simple than WoW and other modern MMOs. What he doesn't understand is that they actually dumbed WoW down to make it more user friendly, and that despite being "more modern" that it is actually way less complex.

Also the weird thing about people complaining about the graphics on EverQuest... I agree the graphics are bad when you look at the game, but when you play the game it has a way of sucking you into the game. I don't know how they do this, but I assume it has something to do with the camera angle and how dangerous and disorienting the environment is.

When I play EverQuest I get completely sucked in, the world around me doesn't even exist. When I play WoW I never feel like I'm in the game or that the world matters. Not even with classic WoW. Where you just run passed dozens of mobs without a care in the world. If you did that in EverQuest you would either die or end up with the most insane train ever.
Ya unfortunately Everquest is a really hard sell today. MMORPGs today, like Social Media focus on trying to draw someone in with subliminal ques rather than just getting someone into them for legit reasons on why they are actually fun to use.

For instance something like Fortnight, where you are rewarded just for logging in an playing, finishing dailies etc.. This was all thanks to World of Warcraft more than Fortnight, even though people will blame Fortnight and things like Call of Duty, it was WoW that originally tried this dopamine drip kind of content.

I find it really sad that my nephews won't really understand what it was like playing something like Neverwinter Nights or Ultima or Might and Magic because they simply can't find satisfaction from just playing the game, enjoying the story, completing the game.

But ya, today you will be told you are being "nostalgic" by saying anything positive about a game like Everquest let alone Dark age of Camelot, Ultima Online.. Meridian 59.. The vast majority of people have no idea what a good game is, they just know how to have their nervous system completely manipulated and abused..

But ya, a lot of people don't read books today either [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-14-2021, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I cringed so hard when Asmon pretty much presented himself as an expert on what makes an MMO good while fully acknowledging that he never played EverQuest, and declared it bad because he didn't like the dated graphics. He then proceeded to describe a game that was exactly like EverQuest for what would make the ideal MMO.
Isn't that guy a professional streamer? I can see why a person doing that for a living wouldn't want to bother with an outdated-looking, slow-paced product. That job demands something that's not just entertaining as a user, but also entertaining to watch as a spectator sport of sorts. That is not EQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But ya, today you will be told you are being "nostalgic" by saying anything positive about a game like Everquest let alone Dark age of Camelot, Ultima Online.. Meridian 59..
Heck, you see that type of comment even on this forum. I assume it's a sort of projection at work: Folks who're here solely as "nostalgia tourists" can't fathom that others might actually like the game for its own sake.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya unfortunately Everquest is a really hard sell today. MMORPGs today, like Social Media focus on trying to draw someone in with subliminal ques rather than just getting someone into them for legit reasons on why they are actually fun to use.

For instance something like Fortnight, where you are rewarded just for logging in an playing, finishing dailies etc.. This was all thanks to World of Warcraft more than Fortnight, even though people will blame Fortnight and things like Call of Duty, it was WoW that originally tried this dopamine drip kind of content.

I find it really sad that my nephews won't really understand what it was like playing something like Neverwinter Nights or Ultima or Might and Magic because they simply can't find satisfaction from just playing the game, enjoying the story, completing the game.

But ya, today you will be told you are being "nostalgic" by saying anything positive about a game like Everquest let alone Dark age of Camelot, Ultima Online.. Meridian 59.. The vast majority of people have no idea what a good game is, they just know how to have their nervous system completely manipulated and abused..

But ya, a lot of people don't read books today either [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
+1

Part of what made EverQuest a good game is the people who designed it set out to make an amazing game that they themselves would enjoy playing.

Companies don't set out to make good games anymore, they set out to make profitable games. At so many Q&As and annual reports to investors, Activision has straight up said they are very okay with releasing subpar, low-quality content as long as it's more profitable than releasing high-quality content that players love. They literally leave major bugs and balance issues in the game so they can later sell the fix as new content.
Closed Thread