Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Guild Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Skeleton

Default There doesn't need to be two Aussie/etc guilds

I can't edit the subject line, so I might as well leave this up, although I regret slightly bringing this up on a public forum in the first instance.
---

Anyone who plays in Australian (NZ/SE Asia/etc) peak time knows that we have a different MMO experience to the rest of the world. In the bad old days, if you didn't start on the designated "unofficial" launch Aussie server (Tribunal in the case of EQ), you might have found it difficult to join a guild that grouped and raided in your peak times.

I know I did. Playing on Torvonnilous, for the longest time the only people I knew on the server were RL friends. Then they implemented custom channels, and a short time later had a small Aussie community together in the Aussie channel. Not too long after, naked transfers were allowed and a big chunk of the community decided to transfer to Tribunal together, joining Aurora Noctum. I had quit at the time, so I didn't follow.

Later on I started on Stromm, and remembering my Torvonillous experience, a couple of friends and I quickly gathered up enough Aussies (etc) and made ourselves a guild. We went from a small group of 20 somethings to filling out 72 man PoP flagging raids. Quite a lot of us became friends that stay in touch today.

So when I hear from a friend that he's playing on P99 and has joined an Aussie guild, I couldn't resist and installed EQ again.

Another friend told me that he and some ex-AN friends were going to start an Aussie guild because there wasn't one around yet. I told him there was one, our mutual friend was in it, and I had planned to join once I sorted myself out a bit. That's the last I heard of it until tonight.

Last week I joined Mostly Harmless and have been absolutely floored by the friendliness and generosity of the people in the guild. This is kind of Aussie guild I want to be in, with a good sense of humour, where everyone helps everyone else. I was feeling very positive about life on P99.

Tonight, seeing Full Circle recruiting in /ooc under the guise of "keeping the Aus/NZ community together" felt like a stab in the guts. I'm not the type to normally go rushing to a public forum, but I was annoyed. For me, there is little reason to keep playing if there is going to be two guilds competing for our traditionally small player base. That's only going to lead to inter guild drama, which is something easily avoided when you play in the dead hours like we all do. All the worse for me, I have RL connections to both guilds.

I realise there may have been better ways to bring this up, but I'd like it to be in the open before things get too far along.

I also realise that the leadership of Mostly Harmless and Full Circle may have already spoken, and I'm some stupid newbie that didn't bother to get his facts straight before getting emotional and making a thread. Apologies if this is the case. I hope I haven't been too out of line.

Assuming they haven't spoken though, where to now for both guilds? Are they positioning themselves as different types of guilds? If not, why even be two guilds?

I'd love for this to be resolved without too much drama. Us folks that play in the "dead time" have to stick together.
Last edited by Clinicus; 03-22-2010 at 09:10 AM..
Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok

This seems like something better discussed with your guild officers/leader than discussed in a public forum.

However, I understand your sentiment.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Orc

Yes, the leadership of both guilds have spoken, as soon as we both realised there were 2 aussie guilds a few days ago.

Do we just mesh 2 different groups of people together with no thought? Hell no, I've seen that happen and fail miserably. We've made a committment to try to group together and see if the 2 different groups gel. If so great, we look at merging together. If not then yes perhaps we are after different things, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Skeleton

I find this post very curious. After one of my /ooc messages last night in game, you spoke to me in tells privately, asking if I was a certain person you knew IRL. To make this a bit clearer: you had seen my public /ooc for Full Circle. You had spoken to me in tells and I had been polite/responsive, so you had the opportunity to raise the questions directly with me.

Even though you had already commenced a conversation with the guy doing the "bad thing" you dislike, you chose to go public? So be it.
  1. As Rania says, we have spoken with several people in Mostly Harmelss and are discussing a merger. There's more to this, but lets just say its in motion.
  2. We are advertising for one reason only - we haven't seen Mostly Harmless advertise ONCE. Not a criticism, just a statement of fact. So we advertise instead - to let aussies know they're not alone, before they "suck it up and join an american guild".
  3. If for some reason the merger falls through (hey, murphy's law - nothing is guaranteed yet), we'll need our own guild player base. If the merger doesn't fall though, Full Circle recruitment is largely equivalent to Mostly Harmless recruitment and we're just doing the work for MH's HR department anyway [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You "regret slightly" bringing this up in public. You're "not the type to normally go rushing to a public forum", but you did...even though you'd already been speaking with the originator of the message that offended you. You "realise there may have been better ways to bring this up". You admit you may be "some ... newbie that didn't bother to get his facts straight". Not much I think I should respond to, except...

You say we're doing this 'under the guise of "keeping the Aus/NZ community together"' - check out www.ausmmo.com.au - we've been trying to do this for a while now, across all guilds, games, etc. Even to the point of offering free hosting for aussie guilds who want it. "under the guise" is downright offensive mate. Personally, I've sunk quite a bit of time and money into trying to give all aussie MMO'ers a common point of contact (at the least) and a home if they want it. There's no 'under the guise' about it!

For any other aussies out there - you're not alone and there are guilds to help you out. Hopefully, it won't matter which one you join, as they'll be happily merged soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferok
This seems like something better discussed with your guild officers/leader than discussed in a public forum.
Damn straight. This is EQ - talk to guilds privately before going public with the dirty laundry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinicus
I'd love for this to be resolved without too much drama. Us folks that play in the "dead time" have to stick together.
At least we completely agree on the most important thing - that's gotta be worth something, I reckon.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amareck
You "regret slightly" bringing this up in public. You're "not the type to normally go rushing to a public forum", but you did...even though you'd already been speaking with the originator of the message that offended you. You "realise there may have been better ways to bring this up". You admit you may be "some ... newbie that didn't bother to get his facts straight".
Yes to all of that. Perhaps it would make more sense if I explain the iterations that the post went through. It was originally a two sentence post. Nothing too dramatic. Minutes later I woke up to how stupid an idea it was, tried to edit it out or delete it. Then I realised I couldn't edit the subject line, which by luck was quite descriptive. Since I couldn't back out of the thread, I spent the next hour explaining why the thread exists. Sure I would prefer it if the thread didn't exist at all, I think I've made that pretty clear, but I prefer it in it's current state to an edited thread with the subject line and no explanation.

The rest I'll send via PM. Apologies to all involved.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Skeleton

All good Clinicus - thanks for taking the time to respond. One way or another, this will be sorted out. Full Circle's utmost interest is keeping all aussies together - more than anything.
Closed Thread