Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 05-24-2021, 07:02 PM
Planar Protector

Default Home Ownership

I am having a hard time understanding the housing market.

I often hear this one response when someone points out that millennials can't afford to buy one:

Quote:
It's supply and demand! Not enough houses to go around so the cost to buy one is way up!
But.. Am I the only one that is like, wait we're at maximum occupancy here? There are more people than homes can be built? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Like...

Are we at a lack of supply because we could have many more houses than we have, but we just wont build them?

Or are we at a lack of supply because we're reaching maximum occupancy and no mater how you shake it, we're screwed?

I just seem to think that if we have more demand than we have supply of homes, that it's not a solvable solution.

Do we think that new towns are going to open up in Nebraska and that will solve the housing issue?

I just dont see how supply of homes being a problem can just be fixed. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-24-2021, 07:07 PM
Planar Protector

I own three homes, my son owns three homes, etc

It’s a good investment to Airbnb a second home. Sorry that you have no money, but shit runs down hill sadly
Old 05-24-2021, 07:08 PM
Planar Protector

Make Airbnb illegal, that would help. My house in Utah is $800 a night during ski season
Old 05-24-2021, 07:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do we think that new towns are going to open up in Nebraska and that will solve the housing issue?
Opposite problem, the plains regions are depopulating over time.

Another part of the problem with cost affecting young adults is all the mcmansions being built nowadays. Seldom is new construction the sort of 2 bedroom/1 bath starter-type homes that were so common a hundred years ago.

A lot of the more popular cities actually are running out of physical space for new construction. New York City has had that problem for a very long time but now a lot of other cities which didn't historically have that issue are running into it. Numerous west coast cities come to mind.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 05-24-2021 at 07:11 PM..
Old 05-24-2021, 07:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am having a hard time understanding the housing market.

I often hear this one response when someone points out that millennials can't afford to buy one:

But.. Am I the only one that is like, wait we're at maximum occupancy here? There are more people than homes can be built? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Like...

Are we at a lack of supply because we could have many more houses than we have, but we just wont build them?

Or are we at a lack of supply because we're reaching maximum occupancy and no mater how you shake it, we're screwed?

I just seem to think that if we have more demand than we have supply of homes, that it's not a solvable solution.

I just dont see how supply of homes being a problem can just be fixed. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
None of those things. Like Topgunben has alluded to, local zoning laws and safety/environmental regulations have made it unprofitable to construct most non-luxury housing.

I'll shutup and let him talk, cya later.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make Airbnb illegal, that would help. My house in Utah is $800 a night during ski season
If I was a communist, I might say there should be a law that says no man has a right to own more than 1 or maybe at best 2 homes.

IF I was a communist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-24-2021, 07:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgasari [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
None of those things. Like Topgunben has alluded to, zoning laws and safety/environmental regulations have made it unprofitable to construct most non-luxury housing.

I'll shutup and let him talk, cya later.
You know what I find interesting though? its middle class housing that people cant afford, like basically it's oh if you want to buy a home, you have to live in the stix where non-luxury homes are built.

Im not saying people deserve luxury but if we define plumbing and a less than 1hr commute to down town as luxury then we might be at the end times.

(the stix are where these homes are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I own three homes, my son owns three homes, etc

*snickers)
Old 05-24-2021, 07:14 PM
Planar Protector

My home in rice village is not at all in the stix weirdo. The ranch is obviously and the house in Utah is a vacation home outside park city
Old 05-24-2021, 07:15 PM
Planar Protector

No we already have adequate laws. Its called zoning. Homes are residentially zoned. Owning a home for rental purposes and air B and B purposes is a commercial activity. We have specific local zoning for hotels and stuff, since they fuck neighborhoods we don't put them in the same places usually.

So just enforcing laws against big tech would be workable.

Also fixing the home loan system. Home loans are for people to become home owners, because we used to believe we didn't want everyone around us to be serfs. Home loans are now being used more like business loans, so they favor giving new home loans to people that already own homes, as collateral. These homes are then used for commercial purposes (rental, air B and B) and therefore should be part of a business loan process rather than a home loan process.

Theres a lot of pretty straight forward ways to help this, but like everything it means less profits for wealthy people so its hard to pass.

As it is, they allow corporations funded by china and other outside nations to buy american homes and collect rent from us, LOL. "they" being the legislative branch. So it's a big fat joke, since they clearly don't give a shit about making american life as good as possible for most people.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:15 PM
Planar Protector

Anyway, just answering your question. You can afford your own home if you aren’t trying to get ri¢h or die tryin on Bitcoin like a dumb ass rapper