Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 03:45 AM
Planar Protector

Cool Cooking with Red99 pals

Okay. This can be our food thread, if you guys want. I'm gonna share my potato soup recipe, and I'll try to keep the nutrition stuff to a minimum because I'm sure it's boring... feel compelled to speak to the potatoes a bit, at least, though.

As far as carbohydrates go, potatoes are one of the healthier options out there. Sweet potatoes are of course a better option, but unless you have a nightshade allergy/intolerance everything will be peachy. A lot of people have nightshade allergies without realizing it though, and in these cases potato consumption can cause inflammation, which can cause problems throughout the body. Potatoes must be cooked very thoroughly, as uncooked potatoes are really rough on the digestive system.

There are some foods that don't need to be of the "organic" variety when you purchase them, like broccoli, asparagus and kiwi. Potatoes are unfortunately not one of them. Commercial potatoes rank in the top four "vegetables" with the highest amount of pesticide residue. The skin is delicious and contains fiber and yummy nutrients, but if you're buying non-organic I highly recommend that you peel the skin off. Any non-organic potato is pretty much guaranteed to be genetically modified, and my research tells me that this usually means they contain DNA from bacillus thuringiensis, which is a bacterial toxin often referred to as Bt. The fed tells us it's 100% safe and I have no evidence stating otherwise, but the end result of the genetic modification is that beetles die when they munch on the leaves. So yeah, sorry I said a lot more than I meant to.

Here we go:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Potatoes! You want over a pound, I find 3-4 is always about right. The very first thing you want to do is preheat your oven to 350º F. When that's done, you put the potatoes in the oven. I just set them in there, no need for a metal thingy or whatever. Oh, be sure to stab the potatoes all over so they don't explode as they heat up. Let that hot stuff escape. I forgot to do that this time and luckily they didn't explode, but I've had accidents in the past. Leave them in there for like 70-75 minutes to ensure that they're cooked all the way through. We spoke earlier about why this is important.

As that's going, let's look through our other ingredients:
-Coconut oil
-Garlic
-1 large yellow onion
-Various bell peppers
-32oz Broth
-Herbs, spices and whatever. I think I used pepper, sea salt, a bit of cumin, thyme, and a couple different kinds of pepper flakes

For the broth, it's of course cheaper and better to make your own. I do that sometimes but other times I'm really lazy, and $3 is worth the time and energy saved because I cook seriously every day and it gets kind of old. If you're buying your broth, be very careful... most of what's out there is completely terrible. Here's what I buy, they have it in the organic section of the regular grocery store but sometimes it's slightly cheaper at Natural Grocers:
http://www.amazon.com/Pacifc-Natural...+organic+broth

I buy the low sodium just because I tend not to trust the quality of the salt in these foods, and later add more of the high quality salt that I use for everything. The list of ingredients:
Filtered Water, Organic Carrots, Organic Tomatoes, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Garlic, Organic Leeks, Sea Salt, Organic Bay Leaves, Organic Parsley, Organic Thyme.

Never buy broth (or anything) with chemically-sounding words unless you know what they mean and are sure they're safe. There's crazy added sugars and MSG in everything, it's pretty sad.

Okay! Get some coconut oil melting in a pot or big pan or whatever. I used a pot.

When that's melted, turn the burner off. We're gonna be cutting the stuff up now and I like to cook it all together unless we're working with tomatoes or whatever. Starting with garlic:

I don't know what this tool is, or what it's intended use is, but I crush/flatten out garlic with it, which gets all the juices out and makes it simpler to cut.

Next we dice, or whatever the proper word is, the onion. Add the whole thing in there with the garlic:

Bell peppers... I probably should have added a bit more than this, but it worked out alright:

Whenever the potatoes finish baking, take them out and work with a fork until they're all like... the first step toward making mashed potatoes. There's really no reason you can't just dice and fry the potatoes if you want, but I bake them to ensure they're thoroughly cooked. Also dicing potatoes sucks. This is much easier.

Red99
Old 03-25-2014, 03:46 AM
Planar Protector

Cook the stuff in the pot for a bit, until it starts to soften:

Add the potatoes, mix around some:

Add in like half the thing of broth, and add spices to your liking:

Stir it around, then add the rest of the broth and stir some more:

Put a lid on it, and wait for it to almost boil, then turn heat to low:

Leave it for~ 25 minutes. If you're like me, you'll start hearing sizzling sounds soon because you forgot to turn the heat down and it's escaping down the pot onto the burner. Luckily you notice before anything burns, but congrats on making a mess!

When the time is up, we're left with something already delicious:

Red99
Old 03-25-2014, 03:46 AM
Planar Protector

But we're not done yet! Get some kinda blender, or whatever you have that can liquify the food. My mom got me this thing, which is pretty nifty:
You want to liquify like 1/3 of the soup or so, trying mostly to get the big pieces like those potato skins. Don't fill your plastic thing up all the way, remembering that this is hot food and stuff expands. If you have a small blender thing like mine maybe do this twice to get enough of the food in there.

The result is super creamy awesomeness. Sorry this picture is so bad, it was awkward hitting the button on my phone while holding up the spoon. Was trying to show you how creamy it is. Oh, use a towel when holding the plastic container.

This gets hot, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't worry over BPA and other toxic chemicals finding their way into the food. But when you're poor it's best not to think about these things, and simply deal with the cancer when it happens down the line. No reason to let your various neuroses ruin a good meal.

Add that back in:

Stir well, and you're done!

Yay! Now it's time to eat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Red99
Old 03-25-2014, 03:50 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Agatha

the fuck. lol.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:53 AM
Planar Protector

looked better b4 u majik bulletproofx'd it
Old 03-25-2014, 03:54 AM
Banned

at least tomatoking was kind enough to provide with a hand shot that revealed he was obese
Old 03-25-2014, 03:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwalike [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah but it makes it creamy and so much more delicious. Tell your vegan friends you can make them a creamy soup and they'll love you for life :P

Red99
Old 03-25-2014, 03:55 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Agatha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwalike [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lol, i didn't like how faerie put the patato skins in it, god.

This is the most lazy/involved food i have ever seen prepared, like you do ALL this work, but don't dice the shit properly, you don't peel the patato's, and god, this is all very very half assed faerie, specialy for such an involved cooking project.

in essence you are shorting yourself, doing all this work but not going the full way on the individual ingredients preparing them right. it could be 10x better.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lol, i didn't like how faerie put the patato skins in it, god.

This is the most lazy/involved food i have ever seen prepared, like you do ALL this work, but don't dice the shit properly, you don't peel the patato's, and god, this is all very very half assed faerie, specialy for such an involved cooking project.

in essence you are shorting yourself, doing all this work but not going the full way on the individual ingredients preparing them right. it could be 10x better.
Ball's in your court, Agatha. Show me up imo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Red99
Old 03-25-2014, 04:11 AM
Planar Protector

girls are cray, so much work for so little, damn

the blender, i remember buying one of those, using it once then being to lazy to clean it so i never used it again

#manlife
Videos
Wipe it clean.
Closed Thread