Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Planar Protector

Default Building a PC...maybe

Hey pals,

I built a PC a long time ago when D3 came out. Built it to play that game with all settings maxed out. Anyways, that piece of shit never worked right from day one and by time I was fed up, everything was out of warranty so I just dealt with it. Anyways, thinking about building a new PC and was curious if ya'll had any input or feedback.

Below is what I am thinking...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
Fan Controller: NZXT SENTRY 3 Fan Controller
Old 01-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Kraken x62, an nvme m.2 sdd over lame 2.5", and the grid+ is pretty dope over the sentry

Arctic silver hasn't aged too well iirc, might be better alternatives

GL

And concede
Old 01-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Sarnak

That case is a beast. Unless youre going to have dual GPUs and all the bells and whistles its probably overkill..

This case looks sick in silver. Check it out

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-ATX.html
Old 01-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

Also if you're still in NYC look into microcenter (I think they have a Brooklyn or queens or something location) - much cheaper cpu/mobo combos.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kraken x62, an nvme m.2 sdd over lame 2.5", and the grid+ is pretty dope over the sentry

Arctic silver hasn't aged too well iirc, might be better alternatives

GL

And concede
Couldn't find the grid+.

Is the X62 really worth the extra $40bucks just for the LED lighting. Side note on LED lighting - i hate that shit and end up ripping most of it out. NerdGlow.

I'm note sure I even need Arctic Silver with the cooling I'm going for. First time doing liquid cool, so really just threw that in out of habit - plus it's only $6.

M.2 - dafuq does this plug into? PCI express?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also if you're still in NYC look into microcenter (I think they have a Brooklyn or queens or something location) - much cheaper cpu/mobo combos.
I can get any intel processor i want 50% off retail (new). But I could check them out for better pricing on mobo (if it's significant)
Old 01-05-2017, 04:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella`Ella [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Couldn't find the grid+.

Is the X62 really worth the extra $40bucks just for the LED lighting. Side note on LED lighting - i hate that shit and end up ripping most of it out. NerdGlow.

I'm note sure I even need Arctic Silver with the cooling I'm going for. First time doing liquid cool, so really just threw that in out of habit - plus it's only $6.

M.2 - dafuq does this plug into? PCI express?
$40 for newer. Casuals don't have the newest.

M.2 slot is on your motherboard. It's on the bottom right of that axis - look for the 3 screw pegs. NVME Ssd's are significantly faster than Sata ones (as long as you get quality shit). Not a massive boost in games tbh, but again, casuals save money here.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masakizt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That case is a beast. Unless youre going to have dual GPUs and all the bells and whistles its probably overkill..

This case looks sick in silver. Check it out

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-ATX.html
This case looks boss - only thing that comes to mind is it looks like heat displacement might be a problem with it?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella`Ella [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can get any intel processor i want 50% off retail (new). But I could check them out for better pricing on mobo (if it's significant)
They do CPU/mobo combos and wipe $30 off the mobo price. It's still a walk-in place which may be nice if you need shit in a pinch.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
$40 for newer. Casuals don't have the newest.

M.2 slot is on your motherboard. It's on the bottom right of that axis - look for the 3 screw pegs. NVME Ssd's are significantly faster than Sata ones (as long as you get quality shit). Not a massive boost in games tbh, but again, casuals save money here.
Sold on the M.2. Adding it to cart.

Also have a 2TB 7200RPM at home I'm going to throw in this thing.

Quote:
They do CPU/mobo combos and wipe $30 off the mobo price. It's still a walk-in place which may be nice if you need shit in a pinch.
Maybe I'll go there after I static zap the first motherboard from doing something dumb like building this in socks on carpet.
Closed Thread