Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On some level, touche.

But I don't agree that humans are completely powerless in the face of "isms" like consumerism. Taking a day (and in particular THE day for shopping) off, to challenge that consumerism is a very effective way to re-center yourself against it.
If only I could be more viral and less lactobasilic.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:50 PM
Planar Protector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Leaving the garden perhaps wasn't the wisest choice, it came about due to my rationalizations. Not sure how to get back in without pissing God off and stepping on the wrong patches of grass tho.
I don't blame you, but if you've any love of truth you'll stick it out or find ways to at least hang at the edge. maybe that is really the ideal place. the left is increasingly seeking refuge in the garden and i honestly don't believe life outside is tenable as a path to peace for most irrespective of political leanings.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you're not a turd either, just sometimes. You can be thankful for your stuff, butt stuff is best appreciated everyday, not just one day
Thanks? But while that's easy to say, we humans never appreciate anything every day, or at least not without significant effort. We need events to remind us to stop and smell the roses.

Also, what's this garden everyone's talking about? At first I thought y'all were talking about Eden, but then I got lost.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 11-21-2018 at 02:54 PM..
Old 11-21-2018, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If only I could be more viral and less lactobasilic.
Less like a very specific type of acid?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks? But while that's easy to say, we humans never appreciate anything every day, or at least not without significant effort. We need events to remind us to stop and smell the roses.

Also, what's this garden everyone's talking about? I feel like I missed a meme or something.
you're welcome ^^ and yeah, it's very easy to take good fortune for granted and change isn't easy, but that doesn't mean thankfulness isn't worth striving for.

as for the garden, i think mae was just referring it to earth, but i associated it with eden from genesis and i generally regard it as an allegory for delusion and the hardship of reality. truth is abundant outside, but happiness is elusive.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't blame you, but if you've any love of truth you'll stick it out or find ways to at least hang at the edge. maybe that is really the ideal place. the left is increasingly seeking refuge in the garden and i honestly don't believe life outside is tenable as a path to peace for most irrespective of political leanings.
Thanks.
Quote:
Less like a very specific type of acid?
It was a play on the label we give the bacteria which gives us our delicious yogurt, yet serves mans nature through its own.

The viri comments was my negativity driving a desire for change in the whole organism.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:04 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
So I choose to take one day off of shopping and avoid insane crowds, while I appreciate the things I already have and recognize how much consumerism drives me to buy things I don't need ... and therefore I should "move somewhere else" and I'm "a turd".

Nice chat.

EDIT: It's almost like you two recognize on some level that you're stuck in a hamster wheel, and your overwrought "defence" (ie. attacking me) is cognitive dissonance ...
don't get so mad ya big cuddly goofball turd!!

*hugs*

these hazing rituals are how affection is displayed around here. and i only told you to move somewhere 'cuz i figured out to get a edgy race remark in edgewise in so doing ^^
Old 11-21-2018, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
you're welcome ^^ and yeah, it's very easy to take good fortune for granted and change isn't easy, but that doesn't mean thankfulness isn't worth striving for.

as for the garden, i think mae was just referring it to earth, but i associated it with eden from genesis and i generally regard it as an allegory for delusion and the hardship of reality. truth is abundant outside, but happiness is elusive.
Ahhh, gotcha. "The garden" as a symbol of innocence and/or ignorant happiness is a common literary trope also.

And come to think of it, "Over the Garden Wall" (great cartoon with Elijah Wood that someone on this board recommended) gains an extra level of depth when you think of it that way ...

Old 11-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:

One could relate the garden to transactional happiness or the marketplace of our desire.

Outside is our imagination and virtualization of what isn't real or maybe achievable on the present earth through lifes temporal and impermanent processes.

That's my take on it, not to compete with your more literal notion.

It's the knowledge ive gained that has driven me more from lifes simple pleasures and naturalistic flow at the hands of the master.

And God is still literally in control.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:11 PM
Banned

everything is transactional, for instance i nut harder when spoiled financially. cant help it the transactions give me pleasure. bring on the consumerism pure enough and eventually hunky sales associates will full nelson me consensually in the checkout line and tell me what a good girl i am for purchasing. that's a future i am willing to see through.
Closed Thread