Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-19-2018, 11:11 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default huge UI font improvement

in windows there is something called font-smoothing enabled by default. in some cases, this is preferable. for most cases, this is actually terrible. I was playing p99 on my mac using wineskin and noticed that the ui font was muuuuch easier to read, even though the font was set to Arial on both.

the first 2 are font-smoothed (the ones that look like an unintelligible mass of color)
the second 2 are non-font-smoothed (the ones with crisp, defined characters)
https://imgur.com/a/GCA7Vri

to change this setting, simply open the control panel, click system, click advanced system settings (on the left side), click the settings button in the performance section, near the bottom uncheck smooth edges of screen fonts.

you'll need to change fonts from arial to soemthing else and back if you're already in-game.
Last edited by p4ndepravity; 12-19-2018 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: images didn't show up
Old 01-29-2019, 03:01 AM
Fire Giant

ty for this
Oralen - 60 Ranger <Core>
Old 02-04-2019, 09:49 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I would definitely recommend turning off font smoothing as described above, but there is another problem that can make in game text blurry and hard to read even after you've turned off font smoothing. This problem doesn't affect every character or every line (at least it didn't for me), but some characters are still not sharp. This happens when you run in a window that is the same size as your desktop. With the title bar and borders added, the window is just a little too large to fit everything on the screen. That's not a big deal by itself, but for some reason it also seems to resize everything in the game just a tiny bit, which is enough to screw up things that have to be perfectly pixel aligned, like text, and makes them look blurry.

The problem can be easily fixed by changing to the next lowest resolution, but then your window is way smaller than full screen. Fortunately it's also possible to fix the problem by making the window just little bit smaller. This can be done by editing the eqclient.ini file that is in the Titanium client install folder. Open it up and scroll down until you find something like the following:

[VideoMode]
Width=1024
Height=768
WidthWindowed=1024
HeightWindowed=768
WindowedWidth=1024
WindowedHeight=768

Width and Height can be left alone. I changed the other four and that worked for me, so I didn't try to see if it might work just by changing two. My desktop is 1024x768, and I found that a width of 1018 and a height of 737 worked well, like this:

[VideoMode]
Width=1024
Height=768
WidthWindowed=1018
HeightWindowed=737
WindowedWidth=1018
WindowedHeight=737

Now the window fills the screen, it's not off center any more, and everything is super sharp; no more blurry text! I have my taskbar hidden, so if you have yours visible and on top (like most computers are set up), you may want to make your height shorter. I also use the classic Windows theme, and if you use something else then these numbers probably won't work perfectly for you either. Just tweak it until you find what works for your setup. Once you get it the way you want it, be careful changing the resolution in the game or with the options program from the launch screen, as it will probably undo this.
Last edited by posun; 02-04-2019 at 09:59 PM..
Old 02-04-2019, 11:58 PM
Planar Protector

Nice find! For those having difficulty finding the setting - just type "advanced system settings" into Windows search.