Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Kobold

I'd put that money on some Jboots. They helped my SK pull and fear kite way better.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Short version: While you need upgrades later on, what you really need right NOW is levels. Your present equipment will get you into the 50's, from where you'll be able to do a lot more on your own than you can do right now.

---------------------------------------------

How much do you like the Shadow Knight? If you feel like you'll retire it in the low 50's (a lot of people do), just stick with what you have. That stuff will get you there. If you enjoy it enough you're sure you'll go to 60, read on.

The Ebon Mace is adequate to use to level 60 if you want to. Plenty of Shadow Knights use that (or the very similar Sword of Pain) at 60. Getting a slightly better weapon isn't worth it, and buying a significantly better one will be expensive.

You're getting to the point where upgrades per slot are going to cost some thousands, rather than hundreds. Four thousand isn't going to go very far. You'll want to replace much of your equipment by level 60. As a rule I recommend a fresh 60 tank-type should have at least 250 worn AC on equipment. More is better, but treat that like a baseline to aim for. Right now the stuff you list has a bit over 170, so that's some work to do. The ears, rings, belt, haste, weapon, shield, range slot are all fine getting to 60 with. The cloak, shoulders, and legs can serve well enough if necessary. Note that just because they can serve doesn't mean they're great--the obvious case is the haste gloves, which are adequate but most folks will want better. Difficulty here is that replacing those also means replacing probably either the belt or the cloak, so those upgrades will be done together.

Chest, face, neck, helm, arms, bracers...those slots are screaming for upgrades, and the cloak/shoulders/legs aren't much better. Keep on the lookout for highly cost-effective pieces like barbed dragonscale boots, crystal spider eyes, barbed ringmail, and similar things in the ~1K range. That stuff can last to 60 and occupies "sweet spots" in itemization where droppable upgrades often cost vastly more for not much improvement. Look at the face slot: spider eyes costs maybe 1K, Faceguard of Bentos the Hero runs probably 40K and for that you get a couple more AC, 15-20 more health, and no mana. Later on you can quest a nice bracer (ice forged shackles) for free, or at worst duo for it. You'll also be able to kill grachnist the destroyer if you want an instant-click junk buff item (you could do it now, but wait another 10ish levels for it to be much easier). Like Lurgort said, work on those Velious factions!

A couple of folks mentioned the regeneration chest items (iksar regen breastplate and fungus tunic). I'm not impressed with the former. 50 health/minute is not a lot. The fungus tunic is excellent but hugely expensive and still not strong enough at level 50+ to justify neglecting all the other slots. As overpowered as it is for leveling from 1 into the 40's, past 50 it's a more of a luxury item for players who already have what they need elsewhere. As a Shadow Knight, if you want to make a big purchase I suggest buying a the pre-nerf circlet of shadows or a higher-end weapon before a fungus tunic.

Danth
I'll definitely pick up the 1k items you mentioned! Those will be nice little upgrades. If you have any other suggestions in the 1k range, I would be very excited to see them!
Old 03-19-2019, 06:47 PM
Sarnak

Also, I have noticed that at my level, my shield displays the same AC gain/decrease as general armor slots.

Am I jus below the AC softcap so it's all the same at this point?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:44 PM
Planar Protector

Shields ignore ac cap
Old 03-19-2019, 09:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsamma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, I have noticed that at my level, my shield displays the same AC gain/decrease as general armor slots.

Am I jus below the AC softcap so it's all the same at this point?
what client displays can be different to what server uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shields ignore ac cap
this is a mechanic from the POP AC system overhaul. Pretty sure classically shields just add AC same as any other armour.

That said, this is just an emulator so any crazy system might be being used.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 PM
Planar Protector

Save plat
Buy Reaver
Pwn souls
Old 03-21-2019, 03:37 PM
Sarnak

What about Blood Ember pieces? Are any worth getting?
Old 03-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Planar Protector

Yes, before you get shroud of death, the vambrace are great manasavers, the same goes for the blood ember gauntlets... Gauntlets stay useful at 60,through in lot of case you'll also be using better form of darkness... The greaves are also great, but out of your budget... Decent ac/stat (through not velious like) but clicky fd... The fd is longer to cast, so less good but it has no downtime... That's your second/third/fourth fd chance before the spell callback ends... Has less use at 60with death peace and its much reduced cooldown
Closed Thread