Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:07 AM
Sarnak

Does anyone have any thoughts on the appropriation of the term "bisque" as a marketing buzzword? I myself take soup seriously enough to boycott fake bisque. (For the uninitiated, a bisque strictly refers to crustacean based cream soups) My favorite is crab.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:31 AM
Planar Protector

Uhh... no? Yeah, it originally referred to the French crustacean-based soup, but bisque has come more to describe the consistency and inclusion of cream base in a soup, not the traditional title derived solely from geological birthplace. Hence the bountiful varieties of non-seafood inclusive soups made of cream base and pureed fruits and or vegetables.

If you took soup seriously enough, you wouldn't care about this because you'd put forth the little effort to make your own.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:53 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardalicious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Uhh... no? Yeah, it originally referred to the French crustacean-based soup, but bisque has come more to describe the consistency and inclusion of cream base in a soup, not the traditional title derived solely from geological birthplace. Hence the bountiful varieties of non-seafood inclusive soups made of cream base and pureed fruits and or vegetables.

If you took soup seriously enough, you wouldn't care about this because you'd put forth the little effort to make your own.
I said it was a perversion of the original meaning, and it is. It originally referred to a specific type of cream soup, but because "bisque" sounds sexy and french, restaurants began to describe all cream soups this way. This caused confusion among true soup enthusiasts at the time, but because the term was successful as a marketing ploy, the idiots as usual carried the day and generalized it. Also, to suggest that I do not make my own soups is a vile falsehood. Have you no decency?
Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitVelvetSmooth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I said it was a perversion of the original meaning, and it is. It originally referred to a specific type of cream soup, but because "bisque" sounds sexy and french, restaurants began to describe all cream soups this way. This caused confusion among true soup enthusiasts at the time, but because the term was successful as a marketing ploy, the idiots as usual carried the day and generalized it. Also, to suggest that I do not make my own soups is a vile falsehood. Have you no decency?
I'm Glenzig, and I support this message.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitVelvetSmooth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does anyone have any thoughts on the appropriation of the term "bisque" as a marketing buzzword? I myself take soup seriously enough to boycott fake bisque. (For the uninitiated, a bisque strictly refers to crustacean based cream soups) My favorite is crab.
Yeah, I'm against this sort of thing. Else people start calling fruit salad a fruit gumbo. Can't have that! Terms have to mean something.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Planar Protector

Pretty sure "bisque" came from Biscay Bay, anyway. So, unless the stuff in the soup came from a body of water, it ain't a bisque.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Planar Protector

^ Eh. Could be wrong about. Wiki says maybe "bis cuites" (cooked twice).
Old 12-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Planar Protector

Feigned outrage after having to Wikipedia search the term. Just how upset does it really make you?

It's a fairly safe bet that bisque is derived from the locality. And if one were to assume as such, since you're so apt to retain the true definition, we'd not label any soup "Bisque" so long as it came from anywhere but France.

And if one were to assume the word is derived from the latter, which describes the process of how the soup is cooked, then it's only fair to allow other variations from the original to be labelled the same given that they are cooked using the same process.

Or perhaps you could just deal with the fact that derivation of etymology is inevitable.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Kobold

For you p99gg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwYre8vYd8w
Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardalicious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Feigned outrage after having to Wikipedia search the term. Just how upset does it really make you?

It's a fairly safe bet that bisque is derived from the locality. And if one were to assume as such, since you're so apt to retain the true definition, we'd not label any soup "Bisque" so long as it came from anywhere but France.

And if one were to assume the word is derived from the latter, which describes the process of how the soup is cooked, then it's only fair to allow other variations from the original to be labelled the same given that they are cooked using the same process.

Or perhaps you could just deal with the fact that derivation of etymology is inevitable.
This is making me cringe so hard. Not only does it display an ignorance of hard-core soup culture, the wording is so fucked up...are you a dummy trying to make like a smarty? Forgive the derivation of my etymology. I found it apt to do so. If one were to assume.