Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Large Rat

Default Pick me a Race/Class

Hello all, I have been a lurker on these boards for a long time and I am finally posting because I need your help!

I am a multi-game alt-a-holic that gets nowhere fast. I have very limited time to play each day 30min / hour and may need to stop suddenly due to my kids.

I have played almost all race/class combinations and find awesomeness and lameness in each. I really cannot stick to one to save my life.

Pick something for me......

Perhaps if I bring this out into the world, I will hold myself more accountable.

I am open to anything!!! I will figure out how to make it work
Old 01-12-2017, 01:00 PM
Kobold

When you can't figure out what to pick, pick the worst possible. Erudite Shadow Knight and follows Innoruuk.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Aviak

I am in a similar boat, because;
A. I have a career, spouse, and a child that limit my daily playtime to around 1 hour, and I may need to AFK at any given second. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
B. I like to enjoy all aspects of EQ, which means playing multiple classes and multiple races. I am an alt-aholic.

In the end, I decided that I would play a Necromancer - for these reasons:
1. Feign Death (which solves many of the problems created by a sudden AFK - see item A above).
2. Laid-back (AFK) solo-ability. A necro is arguably in the top three best solo classes in the game, so I don't need to waste time finding groups. I can get my own gear, complete many of my own quests, and accomplish things on my own time without a group. Necro pet soloing is also not as attention-necessary as charm-soloing, which requires your undivided attention.
3. Great utility spells - invis, invis to undead, levant, corpse summoning, mana regen, skel illusion, limited resurrect, etc.
4. Can be effective soloing naked. Since I'm starting "fresh", with no twink gear/cash, I wanted a class that doesn't need costly gear to be an effective soloer.

Race? I decided to play Iksar, because i'm a min-max type of person, i'm in no rush to hit 60, and I wanted to try leveling a character in Kunark.
Runner-up race would have been a Dark Elf.

Runner-up classes I also considered:
- Mage (FANTASTIC pet choices, amazing summon utility items, and of course CotH someday). Problem for me was, no FD ability to handle AFKs. Also, their epic is simply the worst in EQ, and a mage epic pet really is a hallmark of a 60 character someday. It's such a strong pet over non-epic pets.
- Shadowknight (Has FD, can solo, fun-to-play hybrid class, but gear dependent on weapons, AC, and haste items).
- Druid (ports ports ports, can solo outside, great utility).

Summary:
Consider a Necro to solve your play-time and AFK issues. Choose Iksar if you want a challenge, a tail, and a longer grind to 60. Choose a dark elf for sex appeal, a faster grind, and an easier time with vendors/bankers in classic zones.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Fire Giant

Druid or necro. Necro can push Fd and go afk at the drop of a hat. Also can solo and doesnt need gear.

Druid is another good choice. They can solo͵ have best travel skills͵ and after level 19 you can port to a druid rings (relatively safe places to afk) at any point if you need to quickly leave. Also not very gear dependant.

If you have pp to spend monk also an option
Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expediency [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Druid or necro. Necro can push Fd and go afk at the drop of a hat. Also can solo and doesnt need gear.

Druid is another good choice. They can solo͵ have best travel skills͵ and after level 19 you can port to a druid rings (relatively safe places to afk) at any point if you need to quickly leave. Also not very gear dependant.

If you have pp to spend monk also an option

Druid/Necro is ALWAYS the answer given and its why 50% or more of the server are Druids and Necros.

Play something else! Server needs tanks! You are likely to get a fair amount of "free stuff" in terms of gear, money, weapons, etc, so don't worry about the "You can't play a tank unless you twink", as your chances of finding someone to give you some stuff to help you on your way is REALLY likely (I've had it happen on all 3 of the characters I've started, without asking). Plus you'll be able to tank for groups without much problem even if your gear isn't the BEST, magic weapon and banded will get you to high 20's.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squabbles123 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you can't figure out what to pick, pick the worst possible. Erudite Shadow Knight and follows Innoruuk.
I think I may go with the first answer on the board. This sounds like both a challenge and interesting experiment.

I understand the argument for both Druid and Necro (I have played both to 17) There is just something missing that doesn't get me too excited to play the class.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Fire Giant

enchanter.

Starting at level 12 you can solo as fast, if not faster, than any other class. If you feel like grouping you're always wanted. And your role in the group is somewhat exciting in that your ability to crowd control will make or break it. They're not very gear dependent, and gear is pretty cheap anyways. Through an effective soloing path you'll make a lot of plat along the way. Illusions are fun too - makes selling vendor trash much easier while soloing.

Just don't be a high elf. High elves are ugly AF. Even with illusions, deep down you know what you are.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Fire Giant

Troll Warrior all dex for criticals and crippling blows which are really satisfying. Troll regen is nice, and good str/Sta and decent agi
Old 01-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
enchanter.

Just don't be a high elf. High elves are ugly AF. Even with illusions, deep down you know what you are.
High Elf master race.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Troll Warrior all dex for criticals and crippling blows which are really satisfying. Troll regen is nice, and good str/Sta and decent agi
I really want this to not be a joke, is this a joke? I feel like this would be a good choice...
Closed Thread