Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 07-29-2023, 07:45 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle
Default Druid Spells: Do these have a use case?

I'm auditing my spellbook and moving all the crap to the back of the book that will never be used ever again, like regrowth/regen spells since i have BP clicky. But then I start looking at certain spells and wonder, could this ever have a use to me again at 60? Let's go through and decide if there is EVER a mathematically viable use case for the following spells:

Ice
Covers your target in glistening ice, causing 612 damage, and lowering their fire resistance for 18 seconds. 2.44 DPM
Lowers their Fire Resist by 50.

For a raid setting, I cant imagine a 18 second fire resist debuff would be huge in any situation where fire spells wouldn't already be landing well?

The only single situation I can think of, is trying to utilize blizzards mana efficiency as a rain spell to get 3 full max damage waves? Is that even possible? I feel like roots always break with rain spells, and even if they don't im betting on using a level 49 ice nuke not breaking root, then 3 waves of a rain spell, which if it could land on a full damage target is the most efficient evocation nuke in the druids toolkit, but has anyone seen this work effectively where it would actually be useful? I am genuinely curious..

Blizzard
This ties back to my previous comment relating to the Ice spell. Is there a good way to make use of this spell at 60 for any type of encounter that isn't beat out by the consistency of other nukes/dots?

Spirit of Oak
Someone actually gave me a good point for when to use this, so I'll just share because this was about to get tossed to the back of my spellbook. When you are freshly rezzed somewhere that you are going to med, you can pop spirit of oak for the hp/mana regen until you have enough mana to cast POTG. makes great sense.

Repulse vs. Terrorize vs Panic animal
Which combination of these there could have value? Im assuming the level 51 repulse and level 1 panic would be the 2 to keep handy for occasional charm-fear kiting? Not sure when I'd do this at 60 but would love examples or good use cases for the level 1 panic.

That's all I got right now, if you can think of any other less useful druid spells that you found a good use for at 60 I'd like to know where/how. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2023, 10:42 PM
Planar Protector

The wiki for terrorize explains it’s much better than repulse at the cost of a slightly worse resist modifier which is irrelevant.

I used terrorize a lot in the bear pits paired with epic. When the mob gets low, just fear it and let epic kill it so it doesn’t charge at you if it’s not below 20% health or whatever the cutoff is. and by the time fear fades it’s fleeing. better than wasting mana always dropping roots.
Old 08-11-2023, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

For fear spells: When fear kiting you probably want the low-mana, longer-duration terrorize. When charming high level mobs (Kael, PoM), mana probably isn't as big of an issue; the extra -5mr check can't hurt, and having fear break one tic faster gets your pet back in the fight that much faster aka gets the mob off you. I think I use repulse animal when doing A4 with a pet that summons.

Ice seems useless. The idea is kind of cool, that you could have two opposite element spells that feed of each other. You could imagine fighting old-world dragons and trying to coordinate the use of Ice and Starfire. But then you realize the original raid mobs were a fire dragon and an ice dragon, so you'd never be in a situation where both spells could land. Feels like the kind of spell that could have lead to some interesting emergent behavior, but just didn't.