Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 02:45 PM
Sarnak

Default An Open Letter to Roegan

Hello Roegan and good morning, at least, it’s morning where I am.

This video game and the community surrounding it that you’ve helped create spans across an astounding number of cultures, countries, and time zones. It’s the focal point for complete strangers with nothing in common but an old, strange game to come together and work towards something bigger than the sum of their parts. The game itself forces people to work together, more so than most online RPG’s, yet despite the necessity, I’ve seen people go above and beyond their own gains and forge genuine, lasting connections with other players. In the world we live in today, I find that positively incredible. It’s these qualities of Project 1999 that I believe are why the long-term community exists, new players are drawn to it, and thus, stands as the server’s most important aspect. While I was thinking on this, I couldn’t help but wonder what you think is most important about our community.

I wonder because I simply don’t know. I’m not sure that anyone does. You clearly care about the Project just by how much time and effort you put into it, but why? What’s your motivation? From what I’ve seen the past six months, it appears your primary goal is to create the most pure Classic Experience possible with seemingly zealous blindness. And that concerns me.

The most recent teasing of the full blackout spell book is a good example. While, yes, this is exactly how the game functioned in 1999, no reasonable video game player would want this in place. Staring at a spell book icon waiting for mana to regenerate while anxiously wondering if a mob is about to kill you is not fun. It is classic, though. Having an obsolete, awful dial up connection with a phone jack and frequent, random disconnects is not fun. It is classic, though. At what point do you balance archaic mechanics with people actually having fun and enjoying the video game?

You have seen it once with the recent pet window change. The amount of backlash and outcry from the community was enough to actually reverse that decision. I have to ask, how did you not anticipate that? Was it because ”there wasn't particularly a discussion internally regarding the sudden removal of these items that people had gotten used to over so many years” ? Was there no feedback gathered from the staff or community? Are similar decisions for Green being made right now? Is the raid scene on Blue about to be hit by another short-sighted change like the rooted dragons?

Don’t mistake my concern for anything but that. I love this community, it’s gotten me through some hard times over the years, and my motivations for writing this are solely for its benefit. Regardless of how this is received, I hope this letter imparts upon you a heavy request: do what you think is best for the community. You’ve done incredible work here and I look forward to how the next year shakes out.

With love and appreciation,
A member of the Project 1999 community
Old 09-22-2019, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

Inb4 "A member of the Project 1999 community" gets taken to school about the entire point of this project's existence ...

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:57 PM
Sarnak

I for one am 100% on board and want total book blindness, and am glad about the pet changes. I just hope we get a classic UI now too.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

My guess is p1999 is an adventure in electronic experimental archaeology.

The 'customer' experience is really a sideline to that. We've already seen CSR convenience is put higher on the totem than customer experience.

Not that customer experience here is at all negative.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:06 PM
Fire Giant

The point of the server is to recreate the EverQuest experience from the turn of the century as closely as possible. If people like playing it: Great! If they don’t: That’s great too! It’s not for everyone. It is for a niche group of classic EverQuest fanatics.

I would argue that trying to please people is what made EverQuest and MMORPGs begin their decline in the first place.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My guess is p1999 is an adventure in electronic experimental archaeology.

The 'customer' experience is really a sideline to that. We've already seen CSR convenience is put higher on the totem than customer experience.

Not that customer experience here is at all negative.
it's actually a psychological experiment
Old 09-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

Big if true.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

tl;dr: OP is afraid of looking at his spellbook for the first 35 levels and STILL mad about rooted dargons. Lock thread and move to resolved.

LAST
Old 09-22-2019, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
tl;dr: OP is afraid of looking at his spellbook for the first 35 levels and STILL mad about rooted dargons. Lock thread and move to resolved.

LAST
Old 09-22-2019, 03:34 PM
Banned

Dear brad jr,

QQ

-OP
Closed Thread