Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 03:55 AM
Fire Giant

Default Magician Soloing Exp

I'm curious to know how well a Magician solos for exp and at what level soloing becomes mediocre and at what level (if at all) it becomes impossible to realistically solo your exp.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:50 AM
Banned

it always sucked for me. I mean it is doable but there is just too much to manage and you can get overwhelmed easily.

I just grouped, casted DS, sat on my bone and let come what may.
Times I did solo I often had time to think
Like how badly i treat my enter key sometimes
but then i sit and meditate knowing that my pet will out regenerate me causing a weird feeling of wasted time

oh and for what its worth, your pets damage shield will not count twards its total damage done, sometimes you can out damage your fire pet while still causing lots of damage. oh and armor helps pets tons. a suit of leather armor, or even banded makes all the difference sometimes as well as your summoned rings and if you have the free time and a chanter alt, some electrum earrings whos name I forgot
Old 11-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Planar Protector

Magicians can solo just fine, though you'll basically want to fight outdoors or in dungeon areas where you know you can get single pulls and where you won't likely get trained. They won't XP like a necro or chanter or druid solo, but it's better than something like a paladin or a pure melee (maybe not monk I guess, depends on twinking). I'm sure there's guides on the wiki about it. They can solo 1-60 with a couple small differences in possible methods.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:18 PM
Sarnak

Came back to P99 after being away a while and have been leveling my mage. It's honestly pretty fast if you stick to outdoor zones and pull singles. Just have your fire pet facetank while it's damage shield kills the mob, reclaim when mob is low and kill with single nuke.

I am 43 in OT right now and it's been that way since level 4; since the mana cost of summoning a pet stays the same from levels 29 to 49 it gets really efficient. I can basically keep killing since I am medding while my pet kills stuff, sometimes I can reclaim 50% of the mana cost of the pet itself when I am ready to nuke the mob. I'd imagine it stays this way until 50, at least.

I have heard 55+ mage solo takes a hit but I can't comment on that.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:51 PM
Planar Protector

You only level mages to 55 anyways >.>
Old 11-10-2018, 07:53 AM
Fire Giant

Haven’t found a guide about soloing from 50-60. Where would one do it considering the preference for outdoor zones and single pulls? Skyfire? BW? WL?

I am fully aware that 50-60 on a mage will likely never be close to how efficient a chanter, necro or quad kiter can level, but trying to suss out if it’s realistic or just too awful to consider
Old 11-10-2018, 08:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by commongood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haven’t found a guide about soloing from 50-60. Where would one do it considering the preference for outdoor zones and single pulls? Skyfire? BW? WL?

I am fully aware that 50-60 on a mage will likely never be close to how efficient a chanter, necro or quad kiter can level, but trying to suss out if it’s realistic or just too awful to consider
Not likely skyfire. Aggro and assist ranges are huge out there, and aggroing the wrong stuff is more bothersome than just training out of the zone because they dispel and dot and stuff.

I assume there are some dungeons or other zones with a good ZEM that you can get single pulls of level 40-45 mobs in that would take you from 50-60, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Took like a minute to find this on google: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=279595 which also points to http://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-10-2018 at 08:36 AM..
Old 11-26-2018, 01:42 PM
Sarnak

You can definitely solo in dungeons as a mage but you need to bind nearby and really work the pet chains to break 2/3 spawns. Mage, its all about that pet.

An example of dungeon soloing is using the SolA/SolB zonelines as an escape hatch instead of gating, same with UpperGuk/LowerGuk live side.

Breaking camps as a mage was one of the most fun/challenging things I have done leveling up.

You don't have the Enc/Nec toolsets so there will be pet chaining, gating/escape hatches to break camps.

I did 59 in Chardok. With crap gear. Unless it was 2 Aruspices or 2 Myrmidons, 2 spawns weren't un-doable. Single of either is a race to the finish with a single earth pet but, hey that's where the fun comes in. (Malaise, Rains, DD)

Say you have a 2 pop of Janisarrys, chain them down (do not damage the mobs, you will take pops but the pet will get instant aggro as soon as you tab/pet back/pet attack after the chain) till one is dead and then gate or burn down the second if you didn't take too much damage on the chains.

If you have a high level main, use them to break the camp and off you go.

Once you have it broken its all singles and chilling while you med.

That's how I did it for what it's worth.
Last edited by Check12345; 11-26-2018 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-27-2018, 04:04 AM
Fire Giant

While soloing mages is doable in the way described above, mages really shine in duos. Get a cleric for example and rip through mobs with fire pet. Cleric can root adds as well, so it's not just heals. A second mage might be even better, always one pet up to take the damage.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:11 AM
Fire Giant

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

Chardok sounds like a fun place to explore and exp in. I would love to get some duo-action in where able and I can see 2x mage or mage/cleric being awesome. But yeah, my play schedule and other circumstances (having small kids) mean I'm somewhat unreliable as a duo partner, hence my focus on soloing.
Closed Thread